Winter shoes for flats?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I know we’re not quite there yet, but it won’t be long until it’s getting cold, wet and extremely muddy (Scotland!).

This is my first year riding flat pedals, and prior to that I’ve had a pair of hideous looking NorthWave GTX boots for winter.
Yep, they look really crap - but they’re goretex, warm, and I can hose them clean in 2 seconds and they’re ready to go ride again.
The grip pattern on them is absolutely useless for flat pedals, and the rubber is so hard that they don’t really stick anyway.

I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome, so get especially cold toes and fingers.

In summer I’ve been riding a pair of a FiveTen Freeriders - which are great... but they get soggy and wet with a mere splash, and take ages to dry out.

Any suggestions for something as grippy (or almost) as the FiveTen stealth sole, but that’s warm and waterproof?

Michaelp66

Aug 12, 2018
Burnley, Lancashire
In summer I’ve been riding a pair of a FiveTen Freeriders - which are great... but they get soggy and wet with a mere splash, and take ages to dry out.

Any suggestions for something as grippy (or almost) as the FiveTen stealth sole, but that’s warm and waterproof?

Hi mate, I wear Freeriders during the milder months too and I agree, you can get soggy feet! During colder, wetter months I wear Freerider EPS Highs... dry, warm feet

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi mate, I wear Freeriders during the milder months too and I agree, you can get soggy feet! During colder, wetter months I wear Freerider EPS Highs... dry, warm feet

I have the EPS low... but they absorb water like a sponge! I think the high version is discontinued, otherwise I’d have a pair of them and some waterproof socks.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Have a search on the STW forum, there are threads about getting winter SPD boots resoled.

Now there’s an idea. I’ve sent them a message about this. I sold my NW boots on eBay a few months back, but I’d happily buy another pair and have them resoled with dotty rubber if that’s something they can do.

Rowbos

Jul 19, 2020
UK
I've just bought some of these...

No direct experience yet but they are supposed to dry out much faster and retain less water than Freeriders.

Wear with Sealskinz?

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I had this conversion done last year , they are awesome

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not cheap but probably the best option on the market

Adidas are apparently bringing out a goretex version of the new 5-10 Trail cross range called the Trailcross Mid GTX but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would buy the Sealskinz and then buy a pair of your chosen summer boot, only bigger! At least one size bigger.
Even better, try on before you buy if possible these days.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I would buy the Sealskinz and then buy a pair of your chosen summer boot, only bigger! At least one size bigger.
Even better, try on before you buy if possible these days.

My FiveTen freerider’s absolutely stink from getting soaked and drying out. I bought a cheap shoe drier off Amazon, but I still need to stuff them with newspapers first to absorb the worst of it.
I’ve seen me being able to tip them up and water pours out - and that was just from going along a trail with lots of long wet grass at the side!!

Sealskins would solve my feet getting soaked, but not my shoes filling with water... and also having the GTX Northwave boots that can just be hoses clean in 10 seconds was so easy!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had this conversion done last year , they are awesome

Looks spot on! I’m going to order some Sealskins first, and then see what fits best with them on. I think this is the way to go though, as being able to hose my NW boots clean was awesome!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the leather boot version of 5-10s which are insulated and are leather. Someone above said they are discontinued? All I would add in that case is that my experience of trying to find winter boots that are warm and dry whether for riding or hiking is that any reliance on membrane type materials like goretex etc is mostly a false promise. The only brand of boot I have found where gtx actually works is Salomon....even then you still have to treat the upper with nikwax.
Rubber or leather works!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Come in all colours to match your bike. ?
A4409105-C5E1-405C-B620-BD7D42A62B96.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I use the leather boot version of 5-10s which are insulated and are leather. Someone above said they are discontinued?

I have the shoe version of these. Very comfy, and pretty warm - but as soon as some water touches the lace area, it’s absorbed by the huge thick tongue.

I was out a few weeks ago cycling along a path. Slightly overgrown as people hadn’t been on it so much due to lockdown. The grass at the sides was knee high... and even though it hadn’t been raining for hours, this grass was still soaking.
It was only about 100m to the dirt track... but cycling along there, my knees were clipping the grass, and the water was running down my legs onto my trainers.

At the end, I took my trainers off and tipped the water out of them!
I definitely need something with a flap to cover the laces... and preferably a sealed ‘boot’ style thing like the NW Raptor where I can crank up a Boa with my cold hands!

They look god damned awful, but I’d love a pair of NW Raptor GTX with a FiveTen sole. Best of both worlds!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is no point wearing waterproof shoes.....you need boots and mtb waterproof trousers that go over the boots. The tongue on my EPS 5 10s is webbed and the same leather as the rest of the boot so no water ingress

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
There is no point wearing waterproof shoes.....you need boots and mtb waterproof trousers that go over the boots. The tongue on my EPS 5 10s is webbed and the same leather as the rest of the boot so no water ingress

The EPS trainer is like a typical skate shoe - with a huge padded foam tongue. It does have the bit behind the laces as leather, and they are fixed - but they still get really soggy.
They are so well padded round the ankles that they get really heavy.

I have Gore Goretex trousers, but I only wear them in heavy rain - and I tend not to go out in that very often!
I’n normally in shorts, or tights with shorts on top on cold days.

05145570-B52D-4C54-8622-3F369043FE2F.jpeg

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I’ve tried a few combos and ride all year round and a trouser works better with some five tens (impact five tens I use).
After a while seal skins just let the water in, I’ve found woolie boolies by defeet do a better job.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wear Sealskinz all the time when on the bike. They have one big problem though, there is a wacking great hole in the top! The only thing I have found to overcome that is their "Hydrostop" feature, which is basically a sticky rubber liner around the inside of the top of the sock. It works, but eventually after a lot of use and a lot of washing, starts to disintegrate.

Hydrostop is not fitted to all their waterproof socks, or wasn't the last time I looked.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I wear Sealskinz all the time when on the bike. They have one big problem though, there is a wacking great hole in the top! The only thing I have found to overcome that is their "Hydrostop" feature, which is basically a sticky rubber liner around the inside of the top of the sock. It works, but eventually after a lot of use and a lot of washing, starts to disintegrate.

Hydrostop is not fitted to all their waterproof socks, or wasn't the last time I looked.
I didn't know that, Steve - something to keep an eye out for, thanks.

I admit that I'm disappointed by my experience of SealSkinz - they obviously work out for other people, but they equal guaranteed wet feet for me.

It's not just bikes, either - I'm also a keen coarse angler and bird/wildlife photographer, and they've disappointed in those circumstances too.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I use Shimano GR9 with the easy lace and flap, there’re not waterproof at all however they are very airy and will dry very quickly when removing the insole. Wear sealskin socks and you got dry warm feet ! Had mine over 2 years and still look newish !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I found these ones worked quite well. I did do the wellie thing too ....

No idea if they will still be as good this winter, with wearing/washing and so on.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I didn't know that, Steve - something to keep an eye out for, thanks.

I admit that I'm disappointed by my experience of SealSkinz - they obviously work out for other people, but they equal guaranteed wet feet for me.

It's not just bikes, either - I'm also a keen coarse angler and bird/wildlife photographer, and they've disappointed in those circumstances too.
The waterproof and breathable membrane in a pair of Sealskinz will eventually fail. Guaranteed. Easy to see why when you look at what it goes through. Think about how hard it is stretched as you pull them on and then off again after being hammered by pedal strikes in the upper reaches and thrashed with brambles. They get trodden on all day and get rubbed up against the edges of your boots. They get machine-washed with detergent after every ride, mine do anyway. What other waterproof and breathable article can survive that for long? Unlike my waterproof and breathable jacket, I have never retreated my Sealskinz socks or ever even thought to do so! Nor was I ever encouraged to do so by the manufacturer.
If jackets were made by Sealskinz and treated as well as jackets get treated, I wonder how long they would last? :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles