Water/winter proof flat pedal shoes

Gdogg

Oct 4, 2019
Norfolk
Etnies winterised range £60ish off their website,no issues as yet and they have micro fleece inside that keeps my feet toasty.

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
I don't like waterproof shoes because you always end with water stuck inside the shoes on big days.

Better keep your five ten shoes and buy a pair of sealskin waterproof knee length socks like these ones:

Till now that's my best combo combined with five ten trailcross (the trailcross drain the water very quickly).

I often get through puddles/rivers and always come back with dry foots home even with submersion till middle of the knee.
Then the rain is not a problem anymore ;)
warm.

Sealskinz-Womens-Mens-Waterproof-Sock-Trusted

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Adam
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 29, 2020
Witchcraft!
I like to ride my mountain bike in atrocious conditions and I was getting tired of the dreaded squelchy feeling between your toes after taking on one puddle too many at high speed. These beauties have changed everything, I can splash with confidence now safe in the knowledge that my feet will stay dry, even when you can literally wring the water out of my shoes! They are also somehow very breathable, so I can only assume that some sort of forbidden magic was used in the making of these socks. Great purchase!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Are they heavy, look abit bulky.....you’d think there would be a cheap waterproof then send to convert. Seems whenever ‘cycle’ is added to the title it doubles in price....

Surprisingly no. Since I ride a bit less in the winter, I find that winter shoes will last me 4-5 years. Helps me justify the cost to the wife.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
O'Neal Pinned Flat Pedal Bicycle Shoes Sneaker MTB BMX DH FR All Mountain Bike Downhill Sport, 322, color yellow, size 43 What about these?

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Wondering if anyone has come across decent, water proof, flat pedal shoes. Was pretty wet today in the Surrey Hills, managed to stay dry top and bottom but my feet were soaked. Riding in leather five ten free riders. Can’t seem to find any good gore tex flat pedal shoes without going all out hiking boot style which look a bit clunky. Any suggestions recommended.
Forget the shoes go with calf high waterproof socks like Sealskins or DexShell. They come in various thicknesses for warmth as well. Best investment I made.

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
I had a pair of Shimano MW7 boots converted to have a Five Ten dotty sole.
I’ve ridden a few times in them now, and the results are really good.
Great grip, and about 95% waterproof. Still a bit of a leak round the Boa area, but I’m wearing Seal Skin socks underneath - so feet are still dry.

View attachment 42125
Nice solution!. How is the BOA dial hold up to the muck and mud?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Nice solution!. How is the BOA dial hold up to the muck and mud?

So far, so good. I hose them after my rides, and it takes the majority of the mud off. Yesterday I sprayed them with some Muc Off whilst cleaning the bike, so they look new again! No grinding or sticking on the Boa ‘yet’ anyway!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I bought a pair of those last year. Horrible plasticky things with soles made of granite. I sent them straight back.

Hmmm to me they look perfect, after going up Lee Quarry in backup today I’m looking for something that can eat into terrain and allow me to push my bike up a fekin hill when desperately required....typical 5 10s won’t grip anything but pedals.....

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Hmmm to me they look perfect, after going up Lee Quarry in backup today I’m looking for something that can eat into terrain and allow me to push my bike up a fekin hill when desperately required....typical 5 10s won’t grip anything but pedals.....

These my be worth a look ?

FADFE2C0-9DE2-43C3-B483-0CACF26D72A1.jpeg

90FE3893-C35A-4DD6-AA65-618687DF5CB7.jpeg

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
For what it's worth, I don't think a low shoe is a good choice if "warm" and "dry" are your objectives. A taller boot with a good ankle closure is essential. I always wear my winter pants *over* a tall boot, and that combo, while not 100%, has proven to be the best option. On my moto, I wear inside-the-pants boots, and almost always get water sneaking in on wet days or crossing streams.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Had this conversion done last winter by Lancashire sport repair and its awesome,
Northwave Himalaya boots converted to 5Ten sole
There is more detail on a different thread.
Combined with full length lycra tights , long trousers or shorts plus gaiters and Sealskin type socks .
I've used them in all sorts of filthy weather and never got cold or wet
Having a high ankle makes a big difference.
Not a cheap way of sorting the issue but its definitely the best I've come across.
I've wasted plenty of pounds trying to sort it on the cheap and none have been satisfactory, so I sucked it up and did this.

Manufacturers are missing the mark here .
Definitely a market for a winter boot with a 5Ten sole

20181220_100020.jpg

20191014_111332.jpg

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
While those soles would be great for "on the bike", I think they'd suck if you
Had this conversion done last winter by Lancashire sport repair and its awesome,
Combined with full length lycra tights , long trousers or shorts plus gaiters and Sealskin type socks .
Not a cheap way of sorting the issue but its definitely the best I've come across.
I've wasted plenty of pounds trying to sort it on the cheap and none have been satisfactory, so I sucked it up and did this.

View attachment 42447

View attachment 42448

I think those soles would be great *on* the bike, but for the inevitable hike-a-bike sections that I encounter on winter rides, I think they'd be pretty awful on ice/snow.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’m not sold on five tens (shockwave) sure they grip the bike but when off the bike, in mid, terrain, ice there worthless surely......

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

View attachment 42447

View attachment 42448
What did that all cost?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Try this

I noticed they offer vbram soles that are more expensive than five tens but what on Earth am I witnessing Vibram FiveFingers V-Train Womens Training Shoes - Black | Start Fitness ?

maybe they use the five ten vibram version here, I get the impression this giro grip might be better than five tens

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Do yourself a favour and do a little *research* on "stealth rubber" used by 5:10.
There's more than one variety.
no doubt you won't be content until you have the absolute maximum level of grip in your soles

main-qimg-a07e585d1174993cfaa5723001c2ed9e

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

note the comment about the sleuth being better grip than impact, impact looks the better shoe still if the five ten obsession is absolute

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Do yourself a favour and do a little *research* on "stealth rubber" used by 5:10.
There's more than one variety.
no doubt you won't be content until you have the absolute maximum level of grip in your soles

main-qimg-a07e585d1174993cfaa5723001c2ed9e
You might have webbed feet but I’m mere mortal + noob.....without boundaries! I already broke my rear wheel on my first big boy trail when I tried to do some jumps and not only did both feet move into a suicide stance but my ass went off too followed by me instinctively bending my knees back to avoid ground collision but my foot went int the bloomin wheel.....in the bike shop atm!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't use bike specific shoes for flat pedal riding at all. Infact I intentionally use shoes with pretty low grip in comparison every shoe you've been looking at. (Etnies kingpin skate shoes and Vans pro skate shoes incase you're interested. both are way less stiff soled than sticky sole mtb specific flat shoes so offer much higher "feel" and are much easier to move around a pedal at will).
Keeping your feet on a pedal in the air has pretty much nothing to do with how grippy the soles of your shoes are.

Hope your foot's ok. Ask some of the more experienced riders at the park to help you out with jumping. You sound like you need a lot of help.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I don't use bike specific shoes for flat pedal riding at all. Infact I intentionally use shoes with pretty low grip in comparison every shoe you've been looking at. (Etnies kingpin skate shoes and Vans pro skate shoes incase you're interested. both are way less stiff soled than sticky sole mtb specific flat shoes so offer much higher "feel" and are much easier to move around a pedal at will).
Keeping your feet on a pedal in the air has pretty much nothing to do with how grippy the soles of your shoes are.

Hope your foot's ok. Ask some of the more experienced riders at the park to help you out with jumping. You sound like you need a lot of help.

Foots fine cheers, lucky escape I think, a spoke broke so will cost £30 to sort out in the end....I’m going to go on some training days I think, there’s YouTube but I think irl on the spot revisions work better, can’t beat spending hundreds of hours I know but I haven’t the time for that, getting it right first time, if it costs would be my preference....I’ve ordered some etnies, make a decent dry day shoe I imagine and kind of looking at the Shimano you mentioned for wet, albeit some ankle protection would be nice without an RRP of £170!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What Etnies did you buy?
My intentions weren't to recommend any specific purchases for you. Simply to highlight that we're all different and because of this our choice of clothing, bike, equipment is going to differ hugely.
I use Etnies/Vans for vastly different reasoning than why you've said you're looking for shoes and I'd never wear the the Shimano's pointed you in the direction of so don't get too hung up on my choices.
I actually do have a couple of pairs similar(older model) Shimano shoes with a similar tongue/lace coverage design but they're SPD shoes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
some ankle protection would be nice without an RRP of £170!
Check out 661 ankle braces.
They're about £20 each and support your ankle/foot more than protect it from hits.
I had to wear one to ride anything rough (or harsh) for around 5 years after a crash led to me needing a complete foot rebuild surgery, 9 months in plaster and years of physio back in 2002. I can ride fine and pain free without the support now. But I still have a pair just incase.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles