Looking for good flat pedal shoes

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Got the Vaudes today in my size 43 and they fit snug, not too tight with normal socks but it's a bitch to put em on as i read here too...
dno if it's part of the "wearing in"

Probably do need a size more. i measured it on their table and took that for my size... ah well

Edit: Toe is not touching, it's more the upper side, but with undoing the laces a bit more it's better :)
The Leather will probably 'set' itself as well.
elastic laces make them much easier to get on and off

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Have tried many different brands/models and have about 10 pairs that I rotate based upon the pedal thats on the bike I'm riding (have come to learn certain shoes match up better with certain pedals). 5-10's have a well earned reputation and other brands have matched and even surpassed them in some ways. Ride Concepts is making some killer shoes, Powerline with ankle protection and Hellcat are outstanding! Been REALLY impressed with grippieness of Specialized 2FO (at the risk of committing blasphemy, more tacky then the gold standard 5-10). I really like the power transfer and grip of the Northwave Clan but its heavy. Shimano also makes a nice high top the gives great protection but doesn't constrict you like some high-tops.

the 2fo's/rise was my choise to get perhaps for the spring/summer time. we'll see, it's still winter now :D

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
the 2fo's/rise was my choise to get perhaps for the spring/summer time. we'll see, it's still winter now :D
I read about the concept of winter but haven't actually experienced it myself in San Diego, California😂 Was in the 70's Fahrenheit (20's Celsius) last weekend and will have to endure temps in the 60's tiday! Amazed at the riding conditions my fellow riders face across the pond and admire your tenacity!

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
haha well i'm living in Belgium so winter here is about around 0'ish degrees celsius with sometimes going below 0 to -5/-10 for a few months

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
anyone got good recommendations for good flat pedal shoes anno 2021?
I stumbled upon the FiveTen Trailcross / Vaude AM Moab / Specialized Rise Flat but just can't make up my mind :)

i just do regular mountainbiking, no heavy trails, i'm used to clips but want to move on to flats to spare my knees a bit

High Rock Ruti

I use the five ten high backs called the impact, a little warm in the summer but great ankle support and coverage. One summer I had bruises on 3 out of 4 ankles, made the switch.

Warm Regards Ruti

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
They are great shoes! Super grippy and really light. Spesh also makes a dh version that gives a little more ankle protection and soles are a little stiffer.

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
Most of our riding here is dry, so 5-10 freerider pro are the best for me. Awesome grip, and have a better inner sole than the regular freerider. If i happen to ride on a wet and muddy day, then i just suck it up and hose them down when back home. Would not be my choice if the majority of my ridding was in wet conditions.

However when winter starts, then the 5-10 don’t work anymore. There not warm enough. I gather from this tread that most of you guys are from across the pond, so waterproof and warm shoes are your main concern. I take good notes of your many suggestions. The Vaude looks like a top choice. I’ll look for them however I haven’t seen them in our stores yet. Anyway when it gets cold, liquid water is usually not a major concern for us.
425BE915-C018-4124-B814-8EF25AE7E769.jpeg
i wear my salomon X-Alp hiking boot on my feet, paired with OneUp flat pedals and 49Nrth Wratchild 29x2.6 on the bike. That keeps me warm and usually upright.

Cheers
20E95509-232E-4B5D-AF96-2571F818AC7D.jpeg
F3F6A1E6-B875-4A13-8A94-F6490D76FD53.jpeg
2822CA17-8F5E-4F19-B17A-D889253EA3D2.jpeg

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Ride concepts powerline have worked well for me. Good grip and support. Slightly higher round the ankle than their livewires which I like (have owned both). Seem to do a reasonable job keeping feet dry in wet conditions too.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Got the Vaudes today in my size 43 and they fit snug, not too tight with normal socks but it's a bitch to put em on as i read here too...
dno if it's part of the "wearing in"

Probably do need a size more. i measured it on their table and took that for my size... ah well

Edit: Toe is not touching, it's more the upper side, but with undoing the laces a bit more it's better :)
The Leather will probably 'set' itself as well.
Go for a ride in the mud and rain. Once they get water inside them they loosen up.

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
I'm still wearing a pair of 10+yr old 5-10's year round but in the winter with some Sealskinz socks. Many ways to achieve the end goal but really depends on your needs. Just bought my son a pair of new 5-10's so will be interesting to see how they fair👍

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
anyone got good recommendations for good flat pedal shoes anno 2021?
I stumbled upon the FiveTen Trailcross / Vaude AM Moab / Specialized Rise Flat but just can't make up my mind :)

i just do regular mountainbiking, no heavy trails, i'm used to clips but want to move on to flats to spare my knees a bit
I have owned five tens and while good grip on pedals find then treacherous if you have to walk on loose ground, also they take days to dry.
Currently have Vaude AM Moab and find then as good if not better on the bike, and better grip off bike plus dry quicker.
No expereience of Specialized.
One other option is if you have a good pair of clipless shoes you are happy with then you can get them resoled with sticky rubber converting them into a flat pedal shoe.
I just had this done on a pair of Giro Alpinduro 3 season clipless boots. They were resoled with Vibram dot sticky rubber, which is a bouldering type sole, and the grip is great on and offbike.
Cost between £45-£65 depending on where you send them.

Re your knees you could also investigate Time pedals due to float range possibly as an alternative to buying flat pedals and shoes

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I have owned five tens and while good grip on pedals find then treacherous if you have to walk on loose ground, also they take days to dry.
Currently have Vaude AM Moab and find then as good if not better on the bike, and better grip off bike plus dry quicker.
No expereience of Specialized.
One other option is if you have a good pair of clipless shoes you are happy with then you can get them resoled with sticky rubber converting them into a flat pedal shoe.
I just had this done on a pair of Giro Alpinduro 3 season clipless boots. They were resoled with Vibram dot sticky rubber, which is a bouldering type sole, and the grip is great on and offbike.
Cost between £45-£65 depending on where you send them.

Re your knees you could also investigate Time pedals due to float range possibly as an alternative to buying flat pedals and shoes
I had Look pedals for exactly that but wasn't much better, time and look have the same 'freedom' but it didn't help...
worn the Vaudes for some time now inhouse and they're loosening up. bike arriving any day now :D
STOKED!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I just got these shimano flat pedal shoes that are the first flat pedal shoe that I put my feet on that have a rigid inner sole that I always looked for:
B3F445AB-F605-4D88-8BF1-F8C408F6BD62.jpeg

In comparison to a five ten they are more slim and yet more comfortable
BCB44737-BEA6-4B58-8F42-527A9FC7AE26.jpeg

the shimano are lighter but with a stiffer sole
12C13DB4-7511-448D-95D1-CFF3A4BF7012.jpeg

As per size it seems the maths is odd
35DE4C0B-B03F-4469-B1A5-8A9E2253B487.jpeg

So, the shimano wins in all that matters.
Only on dry, cold days and on trails with impacts of rocks to the feet at speed would the five tens be a better choice.
the outer shell at the toebox of the shimano is hard and as resistent to scratches, but the inner padding is much thinner so that the toes are very well protected and comfortable.

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Tried the Vaude's and Freerider pro mid as wintershoe but both were too tight in width, length was more then OK :(
gonna try the specialized 2fo's next...

D

Deleted member 7464

Tried the Vaude's and Freerider pro mid as wintershoe but both were too tight in width, length was more then OK :(
I use specialized 2fos and I'm impressed with them.they are my go to shoe now.i also have 510s but prefer the 2fos

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I use specialized 2fos and I'm impressed with them.they are my go to shoe now.i also have 510s but prefer the 2fos
good to know. such a pity that not alot of shops here sell flat pedal shoes :(
apparently our country is SPD/clips country :)

I also tought that the FiveTen freeriders would be wider as they have a 'skate' look.

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
I have a pair of Five Ten Sleuth DLX as my everyday riding pair. The black leather finish can be kept clean and water repellent easily with a brush and shoe polish, and it sticks like glue to my flat pedals. In order to keep shoes and feet dry and warm I use Gripgrab Dryfoot covers in very wet and muddy conditions. This solution also saves me from buying an extra pair of riding shoes for the cold season. Noone else using shoe covers?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Specialized 2FO's aew legit. Have the regular and DH models. Grippiness actually exceeds 5-10's in my opinion. Ride Concept makes some awesome shoes as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles