Winter shoes for flats?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Get some cheap shitty skate shoes from Fat Mike and a pair of Seakskinz, then throw the now stinky, shitty shoes away in April.
I hate Sealskinz, make my shoes reek of cat piss and rotten cabbages, however they do keep my feet dry.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I contacted LSR about doing a Dotty Sole transplant onto a pair of NorthWave Raptor GTX boots - which they said would be no problem.

After reading various reviews, and not finding my size for under £150, I realised that maybe the Raptors weren’t the best shoe - as the neoprene collar gets a lot of stick for making them difficult to put on - and tearing.
They also have an incredibly stiff sole.

After a bit more research, I’ve gone with a pair of Shimano MW7’s instead. Similar looking hideous winter boots. Good reviews with both comfort, sizing and warmth.
Once I get them and make sure they fit with thick socks (I ordered a pair of sealskins winter socks - which should be on my desk at work just now!) I’ll send them off to be modified.

Expensive ‘Frankenstein’ boots... but if they keep my feet warm and dry from October to March, then they’re worth every penny!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wear sealskins in the wet/winter, but I also wear bib tights under my shorts which the socks tuck under the bottom of, which solves the problem of water getting down them and the bib tights are "waterproof" to an extent.

The inherent design of free riders and the padding makes them pretty useless in the wet, I have the eps and another waterproof version and whilst the do keep the water out to an extend they get sodden due to the padding and take forever to dry.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unlike my waterproof and breathable jacket, I have never retreated my Sealskinz socks or ever even thought to do so! Nor was I ever encouraged to do so by the manufacturer.
If jackets were made by Sealskinz and treated as well as jackets get treated, I wonder how long they would last? :unsure:
Unlike most breathable waterproof items, the socks are stretchable ? (maybe making up words). The DWR membrane in most items isn't hugely stretchable - or it wouldn't work properly (the tiny holes which let vapour out would stretch to be large enough to let moisture in). So they're in a bit of a miracle no mans land. You're normal DWR treatments most likely wouldn't work on whatever they use as some form of barrier. You could add a small amount of silicone into the wash which would help waterproof the fabric as a whole, but at the same time, it might reduce the breath-ability, but I'm not sure how the socks work, which ever type ..

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I enjoy riding in my Palladium (canvas) boots.
Adjustments.jpg

Good tread that fits my spiky pedals, very comfortable and ventilate exceptionally well.
And when we ride through the swamps and get very dirty, they wash well in a washing machine.
Adjustments.jpg

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
My US mate recommends these waterproof boots
He is a hall of a rider and an area trailboss he rides a lot uses em all year.
myself:
I like 510 impact Sam Hill. They really are far more water resistant than the old impacts. A totally different experience.
add knee length sealskinz and you’re set. They did well for me last Winter.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Summer I wear Solomon hiking shoes. Wet winter time it's leather hiking boots and waterproof socks. And in the cold horrible winter it's tall goretex beaters boots and camo army goretex overtrousers. They all work great and don't slip.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I use the shimano
I know we’re not quite there yet, but it won’t be long until it’s getting cold, wet and extremely muddy (Scotland!).

This is my first year riding flat pedals, and prior to that I’ve had a pair of hideous looking NorthWave GTX boots for winter.
Yep, they look really crap - but they’re goretex, warm, and I can hose them clean in 2 seconds and they’re ready to go ride again.
The grip pattern on them is absolutely useless for flat pedals, and the rubber is so hard that they don’t really stick anyway.

I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome, so get especially cold toes and fingers.

In summer I’ve been riding a pair of a FiveTen Freeriders - which are great... but they get soggy and wet with a mere splash, and take ages to dry out.

Any suggestions for something as grippy (or almost) as the FiveTen stealth sole, but that’s warm and waterproof?
I use shimano boots and leave the cover for spd cleat in can't see past them to be honest leather stays drier and does not stink like manmade material. Sometimes wear short gaitors the hillwalking type. Just expensive only down side i feel they are low cut at back so get gravel down boot occasionally.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
When your wife doesn't know what you spend on bike gear......
45nrth boots and hotronic insoles. Notice the holes for studs. They are awesome! Removable boot liners.

20200823_163722.jpg

20200823_163748.jpg

20200823_163936.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My Frankenstein boots arrived back from LSR today. I’m not going to lie, they look absolute sh1te... but they’re for a purpose - and hopefully they’ll serve it well!
It’s not really cold or wet enough for them yet - but I might give them a wee blast to see how grippy they are.

I ended up paying for the fast track service, as they advised it’d be about 6+ weeks if I did standard. It cost an extra £15, and they were back within 9 days.

They’ve done a decent job of putting the sole on - it doesn’t look too obvious that it’s not meant to be there.
The guy on the phone indicated that they simply Dremel the original sole off to make it flat, then cut / stick the stealth rubber on top.
E61A894D-4A23-4440-A2E5-9F1C18AB90B0.jpeg
1806BD42-2390-4BD5-B6B7-E80F93CC9531.jpeg

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
They don't look that bad...
I bought a pair of these from Germany work PPE supplier Englebert Strauss. Not biker wear, but great quality, the waterproofing is fantastic even in Scotland?. You do get slight ingress around the ankle,(Boots available as well to alleviate this) but the foot area is always dry after a good soggy ride. They also do a good range of shorts that are a lot cheaper than bike related items & a good range in tools.

086EFDB9-EB11-449E-A9F0-33854E1FAFE7.jpeg

3B0BA974-53B5-47C6-8484-B07D872C28C3.jpeg

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I found these ones worked quite well. I did do the wellie thing too ....

No idea if they will still be as good this winter, with wearing/washing and so on.

i got these based on your review, but they take days to dry when washed

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The Frankensteins got an outing today.
Not cold outside in the slightest... nor raining - but there had been some rain last night and I wanted to test these out!

I was a bit concerned about the hardness of the sole. Although they have the dotty stealth rubber, they have it placed on top of a pretty hard carbon sole.
My FiveTen Freerider shoes with the same rubber have quite a squashy sole - in that if you push it with your finger, you can indent the rubber a bit. The MW7’s don’t push in at all.

I have HT ME03T pedals, with quite prominent pins. The Frankenstein MW7’s immediately gripped the pedals, and didn’t budge. I tried repositioning my foot, and had the same issue as my FiveTens, in that I had to lift to reposition rather than sliding it across the pedal.

After about 30 mins of climbing, I stopped for a drink and put my foot down - getting the sole wet. This made it easier to slide into position across the pedal - but once pressure was put on it, it locked into place.

The downhill single track was soaking, and full of puddles. I blasted through most of them, and didn’t have soaking feet after the first one! At the end of the run, my sock (above the shoe) was wet, but my feet inside were bone dry. The flaps on the ME7’s saved the water pouring in through the laces as it sprays off the front wheel.

Under normal circumstances, I would have on the waterproof Seal Skins ‘winter’ socks I bought - so wouldn’t have the wet sock issue... however today was about 20degC, so I had on a pair of regular socks!

Through the downhill section, my feet felt locked into the pedals. No slipping at all... very planted.

I’m really pleased with the maiden voyage of the Frankenstein Shimano MW7 x Stealth Dotty Sole shoe so far. They performed better than expected. They are pretty Fugly, and were pretty expensive at just over £220 for the shoe (£142) and the express service from LSR including shipping (£48 resole, £8 shipping, £15 express - plus £6.50 to send them to them).
Hopefully in the winter months they prove to be money well spent when I have warm dry feet at the end of my rides... and can clean my shoes with a 10 second spray of the hose - and don’t need to spend 2 days drying them out!!

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I've also been wondering what to wear for any winter rides recently. I don't normally bother much through the winter on my clockwork bike but hoping a new E-MTB will get me out some more.
I'm going to try my old pair of Magnum boots!
Might look a bit daft but should keep the old feet toasty and dry...

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I just got meself a new pair of waterproof Palladium’s. Exceptionally comfy, relatively warm, will probably need to experiment with socks and the thread fits my flat pedals perfectly.

IMG_5605.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I know we’re not quite there yet, but it won’t be long until it’s getting cold, wet and extremely muddy (Scotland!).

This is my first year riding flat pedals, and prior to that I’ve had a pair of hideous looking NorthWave GTX boots for winter.
Yep, they look really crap - but they’re goretex, warm, and I can hose them clean in 2 seconds and they’re ready to go ride again.
The grip pattern on them is absolutely useless for flat pedals, and the rubber is so hard that they don’t really stick anyway.

I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome, so get especially cold toes and fingers.

In summer I’ve been riding a pair of a FiveTen Freeriders - which are great... but they get soggy and wet with a mere splash, and take ages to dry out.

Any suggestions for something as grippy (or almost) as the FiveTen stealth sole, but that’s warm and waterproof?
Tell me have they the spd fitting. I wanted something without. I have Shimano leather boots great but get wet feet as they have tiny holes in upper. You're saying you just hose off sounds like they are pretty waterproof. Sick of having to dry inside every time

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Tell me have they the spd fitting. I wanted something without. I have Shimano leather boots great but get wet feet as they have tiny holes in upper. You're saying you just hose off sounds like they are pretty waterproof. Sick of having to dry inside every time

Get a boot dryer from Amazon or get some overshoes

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Get a boot dryer from Amazon or get some overshoes
Not a problem drying them just thinking they are past their prime now as they could take a good soaking but seem to go right through now. Just wondering if a better pairmout there before I buy another pair of shimano ones.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Yes, these were SPD soles originally, and converted to 5:10 flats. I hose the main part of the shoe clean, but couldn’t do that to the neoprene top!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes, these were SPD soles originally, and converted to 5:10 flats. I hose the main part of the shoe clean, but couldn’t do that to the neoprene top!
Yes quite a clumpy looking sole on them . I may just buy another pair of shimano boots as they have been ok . Maybe need 2 pair just a ball ache washing and drying every thing after each run. Roll on summer.

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
I saw these enthusiastically recommended. The sole looks flat (no instep) good for the forward foot position that suits flat pedals

Columbia Men's Fairbanks Omni-Heat Winter Boot

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles