Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
When writing about the range you are getting, your info would be even more useful if you included your weight. Someone who weighs 70km will get much better range than someone who weighs 110kg.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Just did a 32k loop about 250 elevation all in Eco and quite a bit pedalling over the 25k cut off on the downhills.

2E4461B2-4426-4B5B-9763-8C05FE437923.jpeg

A8F8E4C1-3679-45C9-B602-3A6C6D8435B0.jpeg

grock

Jul 15, 2022
Sizing question. I'm 5'9" and according to the sizing chart I'm in between and medium and a large. I almost always ride medium bikes. Question: For those of you that have an EXE, should I take the large that is in stock now, or wait for a medium which could be several months? (Some medium bikes ride big. Some large bikes ride small.)

Last edited:

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
I just visited a Trek store, was told none in stock and only two stores in whole United States have a bike in stock. Not easy to purchase a bike without test riding, made more difficult with increasing reports of motor issues.
The Trek Denver Downtown store had an EXE 9.7 orange. Good looking bike. Smooth riding (in the parking lot) Motor made zero noise--at least couldn't hear it above the city sounds. Obviously couldn't tell about power but clearly not the initial acceleration of my Rise. With taking a look if you are in the area.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
The Trek Denver Downtown store had an EXE 9.7 orange. Good looking bike. Smooth riding (in the parking lot) Motor made zero noise--at least couldn't hear it above the city sounds. Obviously couldn't tell about power but clearly not the initial acceleration of my Rise. With taking a look if you are in the area.
Thanks for your post. What size was the 9.7 you tried in Denver?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Third ride on the EXe. The power delivery is so smooth and natural. There is still no noise from the motor. Battery life was better than the last ride, but I still don’t think it is as good as my Rise was, but very close. My ride numbers are as follows:

Ascent = 1,818’
Miles = 15.92
Battery Used = 57%

If these numbers hold true for an entire ride to 0% battery, I would get the following numbers:

Ascent = 3,189
Miles = 27.92

8A761FAD-6893-46A6-9F54-06FF3376B84F.jpeg

45A24361-17AA-44AF-8B1B-9B76F7953E64.jpeg

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Mine came in a bag of accessories with some other pieces (tokens etc). Here’s what it looks like.

View attachment 96657
If you remove the battery to run the bike acoustic only, there is meant to be a spring clip with a threaded hole that you take off the lower battery cover (storage tab shown) and clip it over the lower mounting hole in the frame so you can re attached the lower cover. Mine didn't come with this and the bike shop says none of their bikes came with it. Is this the same for everyone? View attachment 96656

My bike was missing the clip to run it without the battery also. It was also installed without the cable covers for the battery to slide in and out without interference from the cables. I’ll show pictures above. There is also an aluminum cable organizer/ channel that runs almost the length of the top tube. It mounts to the top tube using a T-nut that slides inside the track to hold the metal channel to the top tube. The T-nut was never attached to the track. Once the battery was removed, it would not reinstall because the metal channel hung down off the top tube. I spent a lot of money for these mistakes. My LBS took care of it, but still a little frustrating. Pics and parts diagram attached for reference.

D96AA29D-1F5F-418E-93CC-D81C7ABE1EDC.png

A00225FA-5B1A-4BC5-88EE-B19493358BF7.jpeg

5FC7F0F0-EA0B-435C-A073-6EF8D84E9DB9.jpeg

7970B045-9391-47A5-BF34-AC7E33CC860D.jpeg

Last edited:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I'm concerned that the handlebars will be too close to the seat because of the short built in stem. On most bikes the stem is longer so how is everyone getting along with the short stem? If you need a longer stem, you have to buy a stem and a bar. That would be a shame because of the cost and because the stock one piece bar and stem looks fantastic. Would the LBS usually pay for this or Trek?

Another option is to adjust the seat forward or back but then your knees aren't in the ideal position over the pedals. I appreciate any comments.

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Third ride on the EXe. The power delivery is so smooth and natural. There is still no noise from the motor. Battery life was better than the last ride, but I still don’t think it is as good as my Rise was, but very close. My ride numbers are as follows:

Ascent = 1,818’
Miles = 15.92
Battery Used = 57%

If these numbers hold true for an entire ride to 0% battery, I would get the following numbers:

Ascent = 3,189
Miles = 27.92

View attachment 97080

View attachment 97082

View attachment 97079

... nothing wrong with those numbers!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I'm concerned that the handlebars will be too close to the seat because of the short built in stem. On most bikes the stem is longer so how is everyone getting along with the short stem? If you need a longer stem, you have to buy a stem and a bar. That would be a shame because of the cost and because the stock one piece bar and stem looks fantastic. Would the LBS usually pay for this or Trek?

Another option is to adjust the seat forward or back but then your knees aren't in the ideal position over the pedals. I appreciate any comments.

I actually changed to a shorter stem. My large has longer reach than any other bike I’ve ridden.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I actually changed to a shorter stem. My large has longer reach than any other bike I’ve ridden.

I can't imagine a shorter stem than is built into these bars.

I'm between a Large and a Medium. I decided to get a Medium for maneuverability so maybe the reach will be good. I have a long torso but short arms.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Medium.
[/QUOTE

Ascent = 1,818’
Miles = 15.92
Battery Used = 57%

Ascent = 3,189
Miles = 27.92

View attachment 97080

View attachment 97082
Just regarding the power in boost mode: how would compare the EXE to the Rise?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I can't imagine a shorter stem than is built into these bars.

I'm between a Large and a Medium. I decided to get a Medium for maneuverability so maybe the reach will be good. I have a long torso but short arms.
I dunno mate if you were concerned about the reach being short (above) then probably you should've gone for the Large(?). That said, there is pretty long reach on this bike relative to each size, so unlikely to be an issue if you have shorter arms.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
All reports are it's less, and from the sounds of it, its a bit more than the comparison of just 50nm to 60nm in the numbers. This makes sense I think, the Rise is literally a detuned full fat motor. I didn't really like that with the Rise - the fact it was a clanging, heavy EP8 jammed into a light bike. I'm really glad the EXe came out (just!) before I bought one, being a ground-up semi-skimmed design.

Some will like the option of running that Rise EP8 in full fat mode, and I totally get that, but I want to try something different and closer to a non-e bike.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
All reports are it's less, and from the sounds of it, its a bit more than the comparison of just 50nm to 60nm in the numbers. This makes sense I think, the Rise is literally a detuned full fat motor. I didn't really like that with the Rise - the fact it was a clanging, heavy EP8 jammed into a light bike. I'm really glad the EXe came out (just!) before I bought one, being a ground-up semi-skimmed design.

Some will like the option of running that Rise EP8 in full fat mode, and I totally get that, but I want to try something different and closer to a non-e bike.
That is what it looked like re: the specs. I just wanted a real world comparison. I agree with you about the EP8. Trek would only let the TQ tested out in the parking lot so not much of an experience--but it was totally quiet and smoother. I don't want full power but I just don't want less power than the Rise. I am considering the Shuttle SL or the Exe.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
My bike was missing the clip to run it without the battery also. It was also installed without the cable covers for the battery to slide in and out without interference from the cables. I’ll show pictures above. There is also an aluminum cable organizer/ channel that runs almost the length of the top tube. It mounts to the top tube using a T-nut that slides inside the track to hold the metal channel to the top tube. The T-nut was never attached to the track. Once the battery was removed, it would not reinstall because the metal channel hung down off the top tube. I spent a lot of money for these mistakes. My LBS took care of it, but still a little frustrating. Pics and parts diagram attached for reference.

View attachment 97083

View attachment 97084

View attachment 97085

View attachment 97086
Thanks for posting re this! Very handy to know.

In having a close (as possible) look at the exploded parts diagram it looks like the power wire (part #6) should have run *inside* the left side of that channel (part #2) and the Dropper cable (purple) should have run inside the channel on the right hand side?

But they didn't run your Dropper cable inside the channel? Am I viewing that correctly?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

The Rise has noticeably more power, but I wouldn’t say by a lot. I think the Rise motor/battery combo is slightly more efficient. With my Rise, I never, ever road in Eco mode. With the EXe, I am needing to ride in Eco more to achieve similar numbers to the Rise for miles and ascent. Understand, I’ve only ridden the EXe 3 times, so this is just an early analysis. TheTrek is still a better bike.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I literally just picked up my new Fuel EXe 9.8XT. Haven't hit the dirt with it yet, just brought it home and cut down the bars to 780. Gave it a good hosing to get rid of the carbon dust and it's drying at the moment, before I go sort out the cockpit, suspension, etc.

Will get a quick maiden ride in today. This head cold I recently fought off is back again so it might be a real quick ride, sadly.

I have to say for a quick parking lot test I was surprised at how much it pulled in boost and in trail. Might feel different pointed up hill but seemed like plenty. At first I was riding with no assist and thought that was ECO, so with the motor off it's as good as it can be I guess.

Looking forward now to getting fitter and then getting more range as a reward for that... I think it's going to be really different to a full fat, time will tell if it keeps me engaged. I just made a $13K bet it will 😨

Beautiful bike, sweet build kit, looks mint. I DID get the alloy cranks and thanks to reading on here realised straight away, pulled them up on it in the shop and they're getting me an ETA on the proper ones :)

They did know about the re-torqueing motor bulletin, and had done that.

I think I'm missing the bits to run without a battery. I guess I'll chase it up, even though I can't imagine using it.

Last edited:

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I literally just picked up my new Fuel EXe 9.8XT. Haven't hit the dirt with it yet, just brought it home and cut down the bars to 780. Gave it a good hosing to get rid of the carbon dust and it's drying at the moment, before I go sort out the cockpit, suspension, etc.

Will get a quick maiden ride in today. This head cold I recently fought off is back again so it might be a real quick ride, sadly.

I have to say for a quick parking lot test I was surprised at how much it pulled in boost and in trail. Might feel different pointed up hill but seemed like plenty. At first I was riding with no assist and thought that was ECO, so with the motor off it's as good as it can be I guess.

Looking forward now to getting fitter and then getting more range as a reward for that... I think it's going to be really different to a full fat, time will tell if it keeps me engaged. I just made a $13K bet it will :)

Beautiful bike, sweet build kit, looks mint. I DID get the alloy cranks and thanks to reading on here realised straight away, pulled them up on it in the shop and they're getting me an ETA on the proper ones :)

They did know about the re-torqueing motor bulletin, and had done that.

I think I'm missing the bits to run without a battery. I guess I'll chase it up, even though I can't imagine using it.

You will love it, easily the best bike i have owned as a package, I have not yet found a situation where i cant ride somthing i could on my full power ebike, just a bit more effort which is satisfying.

I am in Perth there appears to be quite a few Aussies have got these now it really does everything really well..

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

In having a close (as possible) look at the exploded parts diagram it looks like the power wire (part #6) should have run *inside* the left side of that channel (part #2) and the Dropper cable (purple) should have run inside the channel on the right hand side?

But they didn't run your Dropper cable inside the channel? Am I viewing that correctly?

you are correct, it wasn’t run inside the channel. it

yes, you are seeing that correctly. From the factory, they come with the the dropper cable inside the channel. My cable is not in the channel.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Australia got stock before the UK? We are normally last on the list.:) My LBS has at least 5 on the floor at the moment. Go figure.
Maybe the UK sold all theirs straight away :)

Had my first ride. Wow am I unfit. I mean... embarrassingly unfit. That's what not having a bike for months will do.

I burnt 44% of the battery in 70mins, using a little ECO for 10 mins getting to the dirt, then riding mostly trail with some boost, about 400m vertical. Bearing in mind my fitness is horrendous, I'm a lard ball right now, and I have a head cold. Obviously given some time to get fitter, I'd plan to be using less assist, and weigh less. Also first ride so battery might get a little stronger.

I'd agree with pretty much everything in Robs' review I think. It's basically what I would say about the bike good and bad. The Charger 3 was harsh, I used recommended settings and it was way too harsh, knocked out 10psi now and will try that. There's always the Charger 2.1 as a backup :)

The bike is quiet. I can hear the motor on concrete/bitumen, very quiet but there. Don't hear much of it over tire noise on the trail. It's a nice change.

The feel of the motor is very natural an surprisingly torquey from low cadences. I'd say it's noticeably a torquey motor rather than powerful. This makes it feel very natural. No issues gaining speed and getting through the gears, but without the ebike surge.

It's difficult to ride with zero effort. It will be very slow. So yeah, it pretty much removes the "let the bike do it all" mode of a FF. I guess, boost is gone, so you'll get that...

Generally the bike reminds me a lot of the Knolly Fugitive I used to have. It's a lot like it to ride, and that's a good thing. Pedals better though :)

No issues pedalling past limiter for jumps. This is very cool, I don't have to faff with de-restricting and the stress/cost/warranty danger.

Is more playful than my last FF by a LOT and easier to bunny hop over things by a long way. Not quite an analog bike, but it's getting there. As one would imagine by the weight.

Reach is a touch more than I'd like. Not really a problem, but may end up with a shorter stem & new bar, which would be a shame, this one is pretty. I'll see how it goes. I just moved the saddle all the way forward (it was in the middle) and that may help, along with me just getting used to it. Not sure it felt long when attacking, more when in the saddle.

The 2.5 Bontrager tires are too bulbous, like a Maxxis 2.6, will go thinner Minion combo soon. I'll probably go a Oneup dropper at some point to get a little more seat drop too (I make it 22mm plus a bit more I'd gain). I quite liked the shock even at stock settings, though the fork harshness was getting all my attention through rock gardens etc.

Oh, no weird motor noise, not yet anyway :)

Last edited:

txema

Sep 14, 2022
Spain
My closest LBS here in Finland was supposed to get them 19.9. but now the estimation is in January.
Hi,

Can you tell me which model specifically?
Here in Spain, 9.7 Orange in L size, my LBS tells me for October/November.I hope it comes true. :rolleyes:

Xinto

Jun 21, 2022
Finland
Hi,

Can you tell me which model specifically?
Here in Spain, 9.7 Orange in L size, my LBS tells me for October/November.I hope it comes true. :rolleyes:
That specific LBS I had asked for 9.7 and 9.8XT.

Other LBS I contacted said they would get 1 XL sized bike would be coming this month (no idea which spec) and L sized 9.7 would be coming at the start of November.

3rd company I checked today had 3.10. date on their website for 9.7 in M, L and XL size.

Wouldn't be suprised if these dates were pushed forward later.

Biggest thing for me is to get test ride so I could decide the right size (M or L). Will be winter soon, so wouldn't be much riding anyways until next spring. Of course it wouldn't hurt if I had the bike waiting for next season :)

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
short answer is no they don’t. I’ve ridden an SL on solo rides and group rides and there is no way it will keep up with a full fat if the rider of the full fat is intent on going quickly.

ive ridden the SL in smaller groups of mates who were on full fats and we had great rides, we plodded up the climbs and smashed it down the hills.

If your sole Purpose is to keep up with full fats, buy a full fat.

I’ve gone for the EXe because I will Mostly ride on my own, but when I’m with full fats I know we are not smashing it uphill all the time, I also know from owning both full fats and SL’s that for me, the SL gives me what I need, ie, distance, fun solo rides, great handling and keeps some emphasis on fitness.

This didn’t age well bud 😂 new rail owner??

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
2nd ride today. I felt a lot better physically I must've blown out the cobwebs yesterday, sand-blasted the artery walls a bit or something.

Dropping 10 psi from the forks was much better. The recommended PSI Trek gives is what Rockshox give for an ebike. They spec 10psi less for a non-ebike. Given the weight of the EXe, understandable it's closer to the MTB pressure spec. I still think the Charger 3 feels more like a Fox fork than the old version of the Lyrik, which is a little disappointing. And I have the dampers both fully open at the moment. Maybe it will soften up a bit more.

Now the fork is better the rear seems like it needs a bit of air out too, will do that next.

Slamming the seat forward helped a lot, now it doesn't feel so long. I do think though if I was in between M and L sizing down would be viable - because I'm well into the L sizing recommendation at 181cm and the reach is pretty much at the limit for me, I would not want longer. So to people in between I do think you need to at least get a sit on the bikes, unless you're just right into long reach bikes.

Connection to my Garmin is excellent, I can now finally record power and cadence from the bike along with heart rate and accurate GPS all from the Garmin. The phone is irrelevant. This is sweet, I do appreciate using the one device and getting it all saved in one place, and then automatically forwarded to Strava (or anywhere else I need it).

The Bontrager seat was like a stone. I put an old Ergon SME3 I had on it and it's much better. No surprises there I guess.

EDIT: good vid about the Charger 3 and just how different it is here:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles