Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

Naerz

Feb 11, 2023
France
Any updates about your Transition Relay ??
This is the ideal bike for real with takeout battery
I will be on the market for this kind of bike, Mondraker Dune vs Tr Relay... Damnnn big matchup
I will potentially have the chance to test ride Dune but the relay, there is no way

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Loving the bike so far. The 38s need a bit of fettling to get them tuned just right but I find that's always the case with Fox factory kit.

First time with TRP brakes and they've been great, lots of power and easy to modulate. I am looking at a 50mm stem rather than the 40mm just to give a little more reach.

Super stable in the air and a great balance between planted charging and still being easy to throw around.

Also picked up a brand new air shock cheap and have some lightweight 29 wheels from my HT so can easily convert it to a lighter 29er build for XC/trail rides.

The battery lasts surprisingly well, especially compared to our Forestal Cyon.

Kitesurfa

Apr 24, 2024
Hawaii
I have about 300 miles on my GX Relay so far and am amazed at what a great bike it is. Been riding for 25 years and it is my first e-bike and also first 29er. I'm old and slow, but now I'm still old but not so slow anymore, haha!

One thing I'm curious about is for those that have converted to the mullet version, do you encounter a lot more pedal strikes versus the full 29er, and/or how does the two setups compare? I'm very interested to try it as a mullet, as the 29er, while being undeniably faster and more stable tends to feel a bit big and unwieldy to me at times on tight and twisty trails (I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs) and I kind of miss the nimble and playfulness of my previous 27.5" bikes. I'm thinking the mullet might make the bike pretty much perfect (for me) but appreciate any insight from folks who have made the switch.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I bought it as 29 and converted by myself to PNW / mullet.
The small rear wheel i just put recently, i noticed it made it a bit easier to pull the end around and also essier to lose tracktion on the rear which makes it more fun. But it‘s not a night and day difference. BB height is same thanks to the flip chip, so no more pedal strikes.

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Loving the bike so far. The 38s need a bit of fettling to get them tuned just right but I find that's always the case with Fox factory kit.

First time with TRP brakes and they've been great, lots of power and easy to modulate. I am looking at a 50mm stem rather than the 40mm just to give a little more reach.

Super stable in the air and a great balance between planted charging and still being easy to throw around.

Also picked up a brand new air shock cheap and have some lightweight 29 wheels from my HT so can easily convert it to a lighter 29er build for XC/trail rides.

The battery lasts surprisingly well, especially compared to our Forestal Cyon.
Really happy with the bike after nearly a year it's probably more bike than my riding justifies but gives me confidence. I have XO PNW.

MVC

May 7, 2024
UT
I have been concerned about hitting the motor on rocks. Well the other day I smacked it hard enough to dent the cooling fins on the bottom of the motor. It sounded horrible thought for sure I broke it. Motor is fine it just looks bad now.

Still loving the bike. It handles good, tows other bikes great and the battery last long enough for the rides I want to do.

My only complaint is I updated the motor. I had to blow out the usb port with compressed air. It was full of dirt so it wouldn’t connect.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
I have been concerned about hitting the motor on rocks. Well the other day I smacked it hard enough to dent the cooling fins on the bottom of the motor. It sounded horrible thought for sure I broke it. Motor is fine it just looks bad now.

Still loving the bike. It handles good, tows other bikes great and the battery last long enough for the rides I want to do.

My only complaint is I updated the motor. I had to blow out the usb port with compressed air. It was full of dirt so it wouldn’t connect.

Interesting that you Tow with the bike- how does it fair? Assume you're in Pink? how steep of an incline are you towing and how heavy?

MVC

May 7, 2024
UT
Interesting that you Tow with the bike- how does it fair? Assume you're in Pink? how steep of an incline are you towing and how heavy?
Up a fire road on a normal bike its a heart attack about 1,200 vert in 1.5 miles. Rider behind me ways about 140lbs. Tows really good towing in all colors but keep it in the two lower settings unless we want to show off. My riding partner has a Specialized Kenevo SL he can't keep up with us.

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
Up a fire road on a normal bike its a heart attack about 1,200 vert in 1.5 miles. Rider behind me ways about 140lbs. Tows really good towing in all colors but keep it in the two lower settings unless we want to show off. My riding partner has a Specialized Kenevo SL he can't keep up with us.
i tow 165 and 210lbs riders ex. bikes + my 180lbs and im usually in pink. tow works but its much slower than full power bikes.if both riders were like 140lbs i imagine its a lot faster. 165 to 210 makes a huge diff for example - i can use blue sometimes with the 165 guy but not really realistically with the 210 guy

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Btw, which tools are required to remove the cranks/Chainring? Parktool BBT 59.3 respectively Fazua lockring tool I guess?

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Btw, which tools are required to remove the cranks/Chainring? Parktool BBT 59.3 respectively Fazua lockring tool I guess?
I tried out both, the BBT 59.3 and the fazua tool.
Fazua tool is much better, the BBT is not deep enough, possible to use it, but care needed not to slip. Also the fazua one can be used with a ratched tool and with a pipe wrench. The bbt only with ratched tool (3/8“)

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Well, some may call me stupid (lol that's ok its all for science) but the employee price on the PNW alloy is too cheap to pass up on, plus Transition says the new software update makes a big difference in reliability, and I missed how good the bike rode so I ordered a new Alloy Relay. Going to be real interesting comparing the "updated" alloy version to my "just released" carbon version that gave me lots of troubles.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
I tried out both, the BBT 59.3 and the fazua tool.
Fazua tool is much better, the BBT is not deep enough, possible to use it, but care needed not to slip. Also the fazua one can be used with a ratched tool and with a pipe wrench. The bbt only with ratched tool (3/8“)
I changed my cranks and used a bbt - it was okay just needed to be careful. I did find the 8mm hex bolt was super tight!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Seriously considering a carbon GX build. Bike shop will give me a good deal at $6k. I am currently on an EXe that is fully custom. The EXe is a great bike, but I would like a little more power and range (I still don’t want full power or a 50+ lb bike). The EXe has been flawless in the 2,200 miles I‘ve ridden it. Not a single issue and the motor is still quiet. I‘ve read the Fazua does have more power, is more efficient and has a bigger battery, but I’ve also read about a lot of issues with the Fazua motor. Has the reliability of the Fazua improved? Anyone having regrets about their Fazua motor? I’d be swapping all the parts off of my EXe on to the Relay, then sell the EXe with all the new parts. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, I am 5’9”, so right in between sizes. I am thinking I would size down on the Relay to the medium to keep the bike a little more playful. Any suggestions on sizing down vs. up are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Reliability with the fazua seems to have dramatically improved with the most recent updates.

In terms of sizing, I'm 5 8 and feel the medium is right for me, but wouldn't want it any smaller. The bike feels naturally quite compact and could probably go to a large if I wanted a longer bike. Medium isn't too small, but it is as small as I'd want it to be.

They are great bikes, I'm sure you'll love it if you decide to go for it.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
20240624_165814.jpg
Thought I'd throw an update here, I have three rides on the new alloy PNW Relay (I swapped the coil for air) and so far its been a better experience than the Carbon one I had when they first released. First the new software has eliminated the weird "disco lights" problem that used to happen on power up and no power cut outs so far, the bike came with the updated control ring so that was nice too. The bike is 4.5 lbs heavier than the carbon with the same parts but when riding its not even notable. I packed some foam in the frame as advised here so no cable rattles, and the battery door fits so much better. The last thing I noticed is the bike is much quieter, the carbon one sounds like a plastic trashcan thrown down a fight of stairs when descending. If you are on the fence of buying alloy or carbon I'd say go alloy. Time will tell on the motor reliability but so far its been nice to get back on the "e-Spire"

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I just picked up a carbon gx axs build myself. Swapped it over to mx, swapped the 36 for a 38 grip x2. More mods and fiddling to come. Coming off of a long shocked, cascade link mullet orbea rise with 160/160 that's done tons of miles. Stoked to ride this thing and super stoked that it's the same geo and fit to my nomad 6.
PXL_20240626_033847638.jpg

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I just picked up a carbon gx axs build myself. Swapped it over to mx, swapped the 36 for a 38 grip x2. More mods and fiddling to come. Coming off of a long shocked, cascade link mullet orbea rise with 160/160 that's done tons of miles. Stoked to ride this thing and super stoked that it's the same geo and fit to my nomad 6.
View attachment 142851
What’s your height and what size did you go with? Thinking of doing the same

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
What’s your height and what size did you go with? Thinking of doing the same
I'm 6'2", 33" (ish) inseam and 175lbs. I bought the XL, it's definitely a large bike, but fits me pretty well. It's nearly the same geo numbers as my nomad 6 which fits me like a glove. I will likely put a works components 5mm reach adjust headset in it to shorten the reach down to 497ish so the fit is the same as my nomad just for consistency of feel/font center / rear center ratio on my hardest hitting bikes.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I‘m also about 1,87m and went with XL.
Size is matching for me, sure it‘s a big bike.
i also bought the GX AXS variant and converted it to the PNW (ZIPP Moto Mullet, DHX2, Fox 38 Factory, oneup bar, rev grips, 220 discs..) just the Code RSC remains which I will change most likely to the Maven Silver soon.

The Bike is a beast 😀 and also the natural feel of the Fazua is really nice, but some hands on like creaking measures will be needed (apply anti size / assembly paste to the motor bolt area)

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I'm 6'2", 33" (ish) inseam and 175lbs. I bought the XL, it's definitely a large bike, but fits me pretty well. It's nearly the same geo numbers as my nomad 6 which fits me like a glove. I will likely put a works components 5mm reach adjust headset in it to shorten the reach down to 497ish so the fit is the same as my nomad just for consistency of feel/font center / rear center ratio on my hardest hitting bikes.

I'd like to do this same headset. Could you point me in the correct direction as I have no idea what I'm looking for?

Thinking it's this one: Reach Adjust ZS56-ZS66 - To Suit 1 1/8" Steerer - 5mm

Thanks.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
View attachment 142848 Thought I'd throw an update here, I have three rides on the new alloy PNW Relay (I swapped the coil for air) and so far its been a better experience than the Carbon one I had when they first released. First the new software has eliminated the weird "disco lights" problem that used to happen on power up and no power cut outs so far, the bike came with the updated control ring so that was nice too. The bike is 4.5 lbs heavier than the carbon with the same parts but when riding its not even notable. I packed some foam in the frame as advised here so no cable rattles, and the battery door fits so much better. The last thing I noticed is the bike is much quieter, the carbon one sounds like a plastic trashcan thrown down a fight of stairs when descending. If you are on the fence of buying alloy or carbon I'd say go alloy. Time will tell on the motor reliability but so far its been nice to get back on the "e-Spire"

I'm so confused. Didn't you take a bath on your 1st one because you decided that you needed a full power e-bike?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I'm so confused. Didn't you take a bath on your 1st one because you decided that you needed a full power e-bike?
Yeah sadly the first one was cursed 😅 with the battery issues, motor issues and a door that would not stay on, yes I did take a bit of a loss on it. I have a full power Levo, and our Transition rep did his job and let me know the improvements, and then the employee price was so low on the alloy I figured "F-it I miss how good it rode and its not my primary ebike" . I use it solo rides and riding with the young fit analog kids.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
Guys- looking for your sugggestion on a "Clack" that has developed on my Relay
Typically happens on the bottom of rolls and hard g-outs

I cant define it is derailleur slap or if its coming from other spots, that I can eliminate

List of possible common spots that Im going to check
  1. Lower Pivot Bolt and flipchip - Checked and added loctite
  2. Upper Shock Bolts - Checked
  3. Float X shock -
  4. Motor Bolts
  5. Anything else?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
That one you linked is for a straight 1-1/8" steer. You want one for a tapered steer tube. This would be the one Reach Adjust ZS56-EC56 - To Suit Tapered Steerer - 5mm

I don't believe that is it either as the Relay is a 56/ 66, tapered, correct?

I did order the correct one but it's no longer even showing up on their website.

Honestly, if I would have known that these Reach adjust headsets exist, I very well might have gone with a size L and extended the reach 5mm instead of my XL.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Guys- looking for your sugggestion on a "Clack" that has developed on my Relay
Typically happens on the bottom of rolls and hard g-outs

I cant define it is derailleur slap or if its coming from other spots, that I can eliminate

List of possible common spots that Im going to check
  1. Lower Pivot Bolt and flipchip - Checked and added loctite
  2. Upper Shock Bolts - Checked
  3. Float X shock -
  4. Motor Bolts
  5. Anything else?
Loose cables inside? On the carbon ones these get crazy loud.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles