Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I used the works components angle set for my other bike. It‘s good quality and works as intended.
The reach adjust one i didn‘t use, but besides reach it will increase the wheel base for the same mount. Rest of the geo will remain the same basically, but I think it will steepen the head angle a little tiny bit.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I used the works components angle set for my other bike. It‘s good quality and works as intended.
The reach adjust one i didn‘t use, but besides reach it will increase the wheel base for the same mount. Rest of the geo will remain the same basically, but I think it will steepen the head angle a little tiny bit.
I have a works headset on my Spire got it from Fanatik bike, its a great solution.

pshanks76

Jan 28, 2024
GB
Guys- looking for your sugggestion on a "Clack" that has developed on my Relay
Typically happens on the bottom of rolls and hard g-outs

I cant define it is derailleur slap or if its coming from other spots, that I can eliminate

List of possible common spots that Im going to check
  1. Lower Pivot Bolt and flipchip - Checked and added loctite
  2. Upper Shock Bolts - Checked
  3. Float X shock -
  4. Motor Bolts
  5. Anything else?
I'd check if you can rotate the derailleur - mine loosened slightly due to taking the back wheel off a couple of times (the mount bolt needs to be 35nm to hold it in place) and noticed a bang on big compressions. Found that it was rotating and the jockey wheel was hitting the chainstay in a low gear. Realigned it a torqued up the bolt and all good.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I don't believe that is it either as the Relay is a 56/ 66, tapered, correct?

I did order the correct one but it's no longer even showing up on their website.

Honestly, if I would have known that these Reach adjust headsets exist, I very well might have gone with a size L and extended the reach 5mm instead of my XL.

Whoops, yeah I linked the wrong one. this is the correct one, Reach Adjust ZS56-ZS66 - To Suit Tapered Steerer - 5mm

That may or may not be the one you linked before, i was checking in between meetings and obviously not checking closely enough. I had my LBS confirm the one linked in this post, is the correct one.

Kitesurfa

Apr 24, 2024
Hawaii
Hey question about Whistler Bike Park for any of you in the area: Can you ride the Relay without the battery in the Park? I know Whistler states e-bikes are not allowed in the Park (although I could swear when I was there a few years back, I saw several e-bikes in the Fitzsimmons Line) but wondering if there is an official position on e-bikes in analog mode. Thanks!

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
New 480wh battery and new ring controler to come.
Unfortunately looks like the new battery will be only available as integrated version.

The range extender is coming late 2024.
Spec looks promising: 215wh, 1.1 kg

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Update according to a guy who visited Fazua at ongoing EURObike:

1. New battery with 475Wh at the end of the year for the non-removable version and mid-next year for the removable version.
2. Range extender also mid-next year and not as expected/hoped at the end of the year.
3. New remote also at the end of the year.
IMG_1696.jpeg

Shape of the range extender looks quite flat. I hope they found a tricky way to keep the water bottle when using it. Maybe placed between bottle and shock (fixed by a kind of rail system which is screwed to the bottle bolts?) let‘s see.

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
Guys- looking for your sugggestion on a "Clack" that has developed on my Relay
Typically happens on the bottom of rolls and hard g-outs

I cant define it is derailleur slap or if its coming from other spots, that I can eliminate

List of possible common spots that Im going to check
  1. Lower Pivot Bolt and flipchip - Checked and added loctite
  2. Upper Shock Bolts - Checked
  3. Float X shock -
  4. Motor Bolts
  5. Anything else?
Could be so many things. Does it sound and feel metallic or plastic? Is it subtle or loud?

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
Update according to a guy who visited Fazua at ongoing EURObike:

1. New battery with 475Wh at the end of the year for the non-removable version and mid-next year for the removable version.
2. Range extender also mid-next year and not as expected/hoped at the end of the year.
3. New remote also at the end of the year.
View attachment 143409

Shape of the range extender looks quite flat. I hope they found a tricky way to keep the water bottle when using it. Maybe placed between bottle and shock (fixed by a kind of rail system which is screwed to the bottle bolts?) let‘s see.
I pictured a range extender as a water bottle sized cylinder.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
A larger capacity battery in the same form factor would be nice, but I'm not sure I need a range extender? Do you guys run out of juice on rides? I pretty consistently get about 32-35 miles out of a single charge. But that is in a place with hardly any elevation. It's been a year since I pedaled it up hill for any number of laps. I'll figure that out in a month or so when I get out of town with it.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
A larger capacity battery in the same form factor would be nice, but I'm not sure I need a range extender? Do you guys run out of juice on rides? I pretty consistently get about 32-35 miles out of a single charge. But that is in a place with hardly any elevation. It's been a year since I pedaled it up hill for any number of laps. I'll figure that out in a month or so when I get out of town with it.

Honestly, for me I have never run out of e-battery, I run out of personal battery

Most of my rides are on avg 15kms and under an hr(ya work sucks), my longest ride is around 23kms and I used a total of 45% battery

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I don't really get very close to running out of battery. An all out aggressive 3-hour ride uses about 60% of my battery juice.

That said, the F60 can already get 450 watts in boost mode and I could see a software update giving us maybe 400 full time watts (instead of the current 350) combined with that 475watt battery, and then we nearly have that lightweight full power e-bike.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
On weekend rides I run out of battery, or respectively plan to go back depending on my battery level.
I get about 50km and 800m elevation in river mode then the battery is completely empty. But can be also just about 40km and 650m elevation if it‘s 100% trails.
So I will get the range extender when available, to get some more laps in before I‘m forced to go back.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Tmae, how much do you weigh?

If you have soft soil, that probably sucks a lot of power compared to the rocky hardpack I ride.

Your numbers are dramatically off from mine. I can get 1500 meters quite easily. I guarantee I could do 2000 meters in the middle power setting.

However, my body is more than done by that point.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I weight 90 kg w/o gear and run the PNW XL with dhx2 and fox38, Assegai and Dhr2 DD.
So heavy and burly built + the trails are often muddy and not hard packet, soft forest ground. So pretty worst case for the 40km 650m elevation.
50km 850m elevation is including partly street to get to the trails more battery efficient.

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
I weight 90 kg w/o gear and run the PNW XL with dhx2 and fox38, Assegai and Dhr2 DD.
So heavy and burly built + the trails are often muddy and not hard packet, soft forest ground. So pretty worst case for the 40km 650m elevation.
50km 850m elevation is including partly street to get to the trails more battery efficient.

Thats a good point, Im on a Medium 29'er with Fox 38 and Kryptotal DH Front and rear
Rider weight: 185-188lbs-
Bike weight- 44lbs
Riding BC style trails, Forest service roads and DH trails down
Average Ascents are 600M/1900FT

I posted this in the other relay threads showing the potential difference in the new battery vs old vs a theoritical 160wh extender

Avg battery used, meters climbed and watts used
Avg % battery usedAvg climb (M)Avg Watts usedAvg Watts per Meter
38%604.64164.573.70

With the 430wh battery
Potential M ClimbedPotential ft Climbed

Vs the 480wh battery

Vs a 215wh extender

Last edited:

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
On weekend rides I run out of battery, or respectively plan to go back depending on my battery level.
I get about 50km and 800m elevation in river mode then the battery is completely empty. But can be also just about 40km and 650m elevation if it‘s 100% trails.
So I will get the range extender when available, to get some more laps in before I‘m forced to go back.
Interesting.

I went back to Strava for details of one of my first rides on the Relay in Bellingham. Got 25 miles and 3600ft of climbing. I remember clicking down to one light right about when finishing up because we were contemplating whether or not we could ride back to the house with the left over power. So probably ended with around 17% battery.

Curious to see what I get next month when I go back.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
The range extender will be 215w, so + 50% battery compared to the stock 430w battery, will be just perfect for my rides. The 475w battery is nice to have when the stuck one has lost several percentage of capacity but not really worth to get it if you 430er is still fine.
(In case you change the battery duribg the ride would of course make sense though)
Happy that fazua is still developing on the ride 60, looking also forward for the new ring controler with dedicated boost buttom (which hopefully also works for walk mode when in „white motor off“ mode) triggeribg boost and walk mode is kind of fiddly with the current one.
Hope the new stuff will not be delayed again 🤪

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Interesting.

I went back to Strava for details of one of my first rides on the Relay in Bellingham. Got 25 miles and 3600ft of climbing. I remember clicking down to one light right about when finishing up because we were contemplating whether or not we could ride back to the house with the left over power. So probably ended with around 17% battery.

Curious to see what I get next month when I go back.

Wow you guys get a lot more elevation then I do o_o
In best case scenario i went up concrete 12km, 1050m elevation 50% river 50% Boost and had left 30% battery.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Walk mode needs help for sure!! The boost would be nice too. Might actually use it more if that's the case.

Incidentally, I figured something out about the boost mode. If you're stopped and select the boost mode, the bike will not start the timer to shut off until you start pedaling.

Here in FL, there are lots of features that require speed with short run ins. That boost feature is quite nice. It still comes on rather smoothly too.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Wow you guys get a lot more elevation then I do o_o
In best case scenario i went up concrete 12km, 1050m elevation 50% river 50% Boost and had left 30% battery.
I am about 75k on a PNW medium with the stock PNW tires. Also, that area has mostly hard packed climbs or packed gravel roads. (I'm sure all of that makes a substantial difference) Though, I do pop it into Rocket when climbing on a gravel road.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
I have a works headset on my Spire got it from Fanatik bike, its a great solution.
Just got one in the mail for my GFs relay. Reach wise she is around 405 but she wanted the 29er front wheel. So she got the small. With the reach adjust and shorting the stem from the 40 to the 32 we're knocking 13mm off the reach.

Thanks for recommending it here. Gonna install it some time this weekend. I hope it holds up better than the Reach adjust headset that came with my TR11 DH bike. I went through two lower bearings in 4 days of riding. Literally cracked them in two. But those were 41mm top and bottom. I think that's too small for the lower, especially on a DH bike.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I have a works -1.5 degree angleset since 3 years on my YT Jeffsy, works flawless without creaking or other issues. It‘s good quality. Much better then the stock one which needed regreasing frequently to avoid creaking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles