Status
Not open for further replies.

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Champion - thanks! Disabled the fake channel (don't actually remember setting it) and cadence is dashed out when stationary, will check when riding later but looks sorted now. Thanks!

Any idea on the different display types for the data like the colour graphs on the app store etc?

Also just FYI for the Dev - the speed limit here in NZ for e-bikes is 32kmh and that is how it is set from the factory for us. I noted in BLEvo the speed limit was set to 25, so I raised it to 32 and now I see in the Mission Control app that the S/N has gone and instead has question marks over the top of it, so I assume my warranty is now voided by the BLEvo app speed limit adjustment - setting it to the actual legal limit for us here in NZ?

Cheers,
Cam
For the graph, please push the button "Create the graph" and select the field you want to see in the graph.
I'm very interested in a Levo with speed limiter set to 32km/h..
I will contact you to check something.
Thanks

Last edited:

OrionNZ

Oct 23, 2018
New Zealand
For the graph, please push the button "Create the graph" and select the field you want to see in the graph.
I'm very interested in a Levo with speed limiter set to 32km/h..
I will contact you to check something.
Thanks

Thanks Paolo! I can nonfirm my cadence is working ok now I disabled the fake channel in the Mission app, and yes the motor red balloon disappears once I start moving - all working fine now.

Thanks for such an awesome app, I just tried out the Smart Power and it is great, makes an awesome bike even better! Just need to try out the HR side of things also at some point.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Champion - thanks! Disabled the fake channel (don't actually remember setting it) and cadence is dashed out when stationary, will check when riding later but looks sorted now. Thanks!

Any idea on the different display types for the data like the colour graphs on the app store etc?

Also just FYI for the Dev - the speed limit here in NZ for e-bikes is 32kmh and that is how it is set from the factory for us. I noted in BLEvo the speed limit was set to 25, so I raised it to 32 and now I see in the Mission Control app that the S/N has gone and instead has question marks over the top of it, so I assume my warranty is now voided by the BLEvo app speed limit adjustment - setting it to the actual legal limit for us here in NZ?

Cheers,
Cam
Sorry, could you send a screenshot about this "I see in the Mission Control app that the S/N has gone and instead has question marks over the top of it"?
Thanks.

OrionNZ

Oct 23, 2018
New Zealand
Sorry, could you send a screenshot about this "I see in the Mission Control app that the S/N has gone and instead has question marks over the top of it"?
Thanks.
Hmm must have just been a problem with Mission Control App - just loaded it again and all was displayed normally. Won't be using MC again anyway so no worries ;)

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
As we now have a confirmed case of Specialized not honouring warranty on a bike using Blevo it does raise a few questions.
See this thread bottom of page 1 for the actual case.
Repair Brose motor.. - EMTB Forums

1. Is it possible to use Blevo without de-restricting the original speed limits?
2. Does Blevo over ride or bypass the existing battery and motor protection settings? ie temperature, maximum output. Please confirm Paolo.
3. Any Lawyers on here who would like to cast an opinion on the validity of this clause in the warranty? It (the clause) is probably void in some countries depending on consumer protection laws.
4. Heat is the enemy of all things electrical, has anyone noticed or tested raised motor/battery temperatures using Blevo?
5. Would you still use Blevo on a 2019 Levo even if you can undo the speed restriction?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
As we now have a confirmed case of Specialized not honouring warranty on a bike using Blevo it does raise a few questions.
See this thread bottom of page 1 for the actual case.
Repair Brose motor.. - EMTB Forums

1. Is it possible to use Blevo without de-restricting the original speed limits?
2. Does Blevo over ride or bypass the existing battery and motor protection settings? ie temperature, maximum output. Please confirm Paolo.
3. Any Lawyers on here who would like to cast an opinion on the validity of this clause in the warranty? It (the clause) is probably void in some countries depending on consumer protection laws.
4. Heat is the enemy of all things electrical, has anyone noticed or tested raised motor/battery temperatures using Blevo?
5. Would you still use Blevo on a 2019 Levo even if you can undo the speed restriction?

Dear Rob,

Good questions!

Regarding your last question, I guess you meant "Would you still use Blevo on a 2019 Levo even if you can't undo the speed restriction?", right?!

@Specialized Rider Care has been asking in the Mission Control topic on this forum which functionalities we are missing from the previous MC version.

At October 7th I responded:
I have ordered the Levo 2019 model with the 2.1 motor. I am a new customer and haven't had one of your bikes before. I invested a lot of time researching and comparing several bike and motor brands with each other. I was convinced to choose for your bike with the Brose motor. Due to the lack of sound (internal belt concept) and due to the additional added value which a 3rd party (BLEvo) was able to offer as well. For me the main reason in that perspective was related to the heart rate monitor and smart power which are part of the BLEvo app.

Of another Specialized Rider Care post on this forum I have understood that due to advise of your legal team. (based on European eBike safety standard EN 15194:2017) You therefore felt forced to close a door whereby 3rd party apps were bypassing local speed limits via reducing wheel circumference further than you designed or intended. I assume you are speaking about BLEvo and other similar apps as well.

From my point of view these 3rd party apps where adding much more value to the rider when comparing them to Mission Control then just a risk for Specialized that these apps are being used for bypassing local speed limits.

Within the post above where I am referring to you were asking about missing functions on the previous Mission Control app. For me BLEvo should be more the benchmark of missing functions compared to the current Mission Control app rather then the previous Mission Control version. As I haven't used the previous version I can't answer this question but I would be very happy with a version of Mission Control in future time which includes all the functions of the BLEvo app besides bypassing the speed limit then.

If this is not an option I still hope you leave the door open for 3rd party app developers. (but at least try to block the speed limiter) My experience is that 3rd party app developers are much more quick to adapt new functions then big corporations like Specialized are able to. However I hope I am making a false assumption here and you will prove the opposite by adding to Mission Control for example key BLEvo added values like:
- HR monitor incl. smart power

- More extensive and detailed measurement data (power rider and power motor support), battery power left and screen layout (to be choosen by the user)
- Power adjustment settings by 1% instead of the big 5% steps

As said at this moment I am waiting for my new bike which is currently on hold due to the noise issue. The lack of noise was one of the other reasons which made me choose for the Levo driveline. I am therefore very happy that you take this issue very serious but if I had known this issue and the mayor 2019 software change upfront I maybe would have choosen for the more open software minded and more quiet 2018 Levo model. Although I have bought a new and expensive 2019 model (compared to the 2018 model) I unfortunately still haven't got a happy and very confident feeling that I made the right choice.

I hope you will understand my concerns and feedback and will do everything to solve the 2019 noise issue and develop at least develop your own Mission Control app as good as currently the BLEvo functions are. (except for the speed limiter adjustment ;-))

Thanks for your understanding and support in advance!

===
I don't completely understand why Specialized doesn't develop an own MC app which at least has the capabilities of BLEvo which the mayority of the market (their customers) seem to value for it's key features and benefits. It's then easy to reject any warranties but please present an alternative then as well. Or let us know at least now you are working on these kind of SMART functions in future time.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Doesn't specilized offer that integration via teaming up with the likes of Garmin though? I.E they would argue that vat ant+/bluetooth connectivity they work with cycle computer brands to provide owners with the ability to get more information.

I know its not the same as Blevo, but theres no way any manufacturer is going to allow 3rd party apps to control the bikes software and still warranty the bike.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I know its not the same as Blevo, but theres no way any manufacturer is going to allow 3rd party apps to control the bikes software and still warranty the bike.

I guess I asked some leading questions, I am trying to get a good comparison of the differences between MC and other apps. Obviously features and functionality are better than MC but if Blevo does not change the hardware protection limits Specialized set (maximum power, motor and battery temperature) then it should not have a detrimental effect on hardware life and not effect warranty. On the other hand if it gains performance by overriding these safe limits then problems could arise. I think with the 2019 having shuttle mode it effectively does a similar thing (improve performance) whilst still operating within safe operating limits. Not allowing over riding of the legal speed limits is understandable but as for the rest I think Specialized really need to take a long hard look at themselves as they are restricting the potential of their bikes. Looking at the bikes coming in 2019 there is a lot more competition than in past years so I hope they feel the pressure to put the Levo and Kenevo in front of the pack again in 2020. Allowing 3rd party apps is one part of this.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
to my mind its just the same as using Microsoft edge on a MacBook

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
What I can say is that BLEvo does what you can do with Mission Control (except wheel size change over the limit). BLEvo changes the assistance level automatically, in function of you legs power and/or heart rate. You can do the same by hand with Mission Control.. I know, it is not so easy and automatic. BLEvo does this automatically..
Other features like voice messages, graph, statistical data don't "touch" the bike. BLEvo record and collect many data during the tour by reading the data sent by the bike. Nothing more.
And at the end, BLEvo does NOT change the hardware protection limits Specialized set.
I hope I have clarified your doubts.
Paolo

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
What I can say is that BLEvo does what you can do with Mission Control (except wheel size change over the limit). BLEvo changes the assistance level automatically, in function of you legs power and/or heart rate. You can do the same by hand with Mission Control.. I know, it is not so easy and automatic. BLEvo does this automatically..
Other features like voice messages, graph, statistical data don't "touch" the bike. BLEvo record and collect many data during the tour by reading the data sent by the bike. Nothing more.
And at the end, BLEvo does NOT change the hardware protection limits Specialized set.
I hope I have clarified your doubts.
Paolo
Thanks for the clarification, I think it's a good thing to have choice.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess I asked some leading questions, I am trying to get a good comparison of the differences between MC and other apps. Obviously features and functionality are better than MC but if Blevo does not change the hardware protection limits Specialized set (maximum power, motor and battery temperature) then it should not have a detrimental effect on hardware life and not effect warranty. On the other hand if it gains performance by overriding these safe limits then problems could arise. I think with the 2019 having shuttle mode it effectively does a similar thing (improve performance) whilst still operating within safe operating limits. Not allowing over riding of the legal speed limits is understandable but as for the rest I think Specialized really need to take a long hard look at themselves as they are restricting the potential of their bikes. Looking at the bikes coming in 2019 there is a lot more competition than in past years so I hope they feel the pressure to put the Levo and Kenevo in front of the pack again in 2020. Allowing 3rd party apps is one part of this.

I don't disagree that Blevo is abetter soulotuion than MC, all i am saying is no way would Specilized, or any other bike manufacturer, allow a third party app to be used to control the bike, and still honour the warranty.

Does Blevo work with other Brose bikes?

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I don't disagree that Blevo is abetter soulotuion than MC, all i am saying is no way would Specilized, or any other bike manufacturer, allow a third party app to be used to control the bike, and still honour the warranty.

Does Blevo work with other Brose bikes?
The Bluetooth module is in the battery, and not in the motor.. BLEvo comunicates with the battery..
I tried with a Fantic, but there weren't any Bluetooth services available.
If the bike has an official App that communicates via Bluetooth, maybe also BLEvo can do, but I need to study all the protocol.. and it is not so easy.. just a matter of time..

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks Paolo - i am interested in the some other Brose bikes, would be good to know if it would work

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I have the latest iOS BLEVO. I can scan for and find my bike. It doesn't seem to connect anymore however. I tried MC and it did connect and pull the details. Levo did not connect.I closed MC and rebooted bike. Tried a few times and gave up. Anyone else experience this? Bike is 2018 Expert.

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
Hi all, Levo and BLEvo newbie here with a few basic questions I could not answer in past pages and manual.

1) Does BLEvo need to be open and connected in order to work? Like, what if I set all parameters and then close it or turn off phone, will the bike remain in those parameters? What happens when the phone is disconnected?

2) I would assume BLEvo needs to be connected in order to use smart power. But,
- can I have it running in the background or does it need to be the open app? I would like to use other apps on my phone while riding (Trailforks, Wikiloc, Strava, etc).

3) i am on iOS and Levo 2019, in bike monitor speed and cadence are always at zero like it’s not reading them. The sensors are working properly as I have a garmin connected at the same time that is reading them properly.

4) I am not clear on what is currently not working in the 2019 Levo / iOS setup. Can anybody clear this?

Thanks to all.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Hi all, Levo and BLEvo newbie here with a few basic questions I could not answer in past pages and manual.

1) Does BLEvo need to be open and connected in order to work? Like, what if I set all parameters and then close it or turn off phone, will the bike remain in those parameters? What happens when the phone is disconnected?
For "Static settings" (no Smart Power), yes you can leave the phone at home

2) I would assume BLEvo needs to be connected in order to use smart power. But,
- can I have it running in the background or does it need to be the open app? I would like to use other apps on my phone while riding (Trailforks, Wikiloc, Strava, etc).
Yes, you can use BLEvo in background with the screen locked. You have to remember to Start the tour. That's it.

3) i am on iOS and Levo 2019, in bike monitor speed and cadence are always at zero like it’s not reading them. The sensors are working properly as I have a garmin connected at the same time that is reading them properly.
This is an issue for Levo 2019.. I will solve the issue in 2 weeks. I hope. For the speed you can use the GPS speed instead the bike speed.

4) I am not clear on what is currently not working in the 2019 Levo / iOS setup. Can anybody clear this?

Thanks to all.
The cadence/speed doesn't work. Also speed limit, in some bike works, in some bike no..
I will check when I will receive the bike.

RobertK

Sep 11, 2018
Poland
Thank you very much @PaoloBLEvo for adding kcal to BLEvo’s monitor.

2BF1B06C-E6E6-4732-9583-618DBFE77540.jpeg

LevoLover7

Oct 28, 2018
Germany
hello Paolo,

I have the problem when I run Blevo Bike Monitor in the foreground, my iphone 8 battery (started at 100%) is in 2-3 hours completely empty. What can I do about it ? Backlighting has already been reduced to 50%. Thus, the APP is not really usable for me

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
hello Paolo,

I have the problem when I run Blevo Bike Monitor in the foreground, my iphone 8 battery (started at 100%) is in 2-3 hours completely empty. What can I do about it ? Backlighting has already been reduced to 50%. Thus, the APP is not really usable for me
The only suggestion that I can say is to use a power bank if you want to keep the phone active, otherwise you can switch off the display and activate when you want to check the data.
Last option (that it is what I did) buy a bv6000 with 4800mAh of battery.. 8 hours with gps and screen on. It is an expensive solution (150 eur) but it seams to be realized for bike..

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
hello Paolo,

Strange, i use the iphone 6, uses only 40% over 3,5h

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
@PaoloBLEvo , I have an expert 2019 with 700w battery (I hope..).

I’ve noticed that Blevo reads the battery at around 640 when is at 100%...battery obviously is new. I hope Blevo is wrong...mission control gives everything ok but does not give battery w.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese

I’ve noticed that Blevo reads the battery at around 640 when is at 100%...battery obviously is new. I hope Blevo is wrong...mission control gives everything ok but does not give battery w.
You are right.. I don't understand why on Levo 2019, the Wh value is wrong.. Also on battery 500 Wh, BLEvo reads 450Wh when is full... Very strange..
Could you tell me the exact number at 100%? 640 Wh or 630 Wh? It seams that there is a 0,9 factor.. I hope that the real value is 700 Wh, but who can say the real value?

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany

In the MC App you can longpress the datafields in the Bike Monitor and change the shown value.
You should find the option „Battery left (wh)“.
Just charge to 100% and take a look...

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
In the MC App you can longpress the datafields in the Bike Monitor and change the shown value.
You should find the option „Battery left (wh)“.
Just charge to 100% and take a look...
I know but I think is not so useful to start a tour only to see the wh residual... I don't have a Levo 2019 yet.. do you see 700wh when it is at 100%?

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Correct, working. Have still to check what BLEvo reads at 100%.
Ok, let me know..
If you are able also to make a relation between what BLEvo read and what Mission Control show..
For example
100% = 700wh Mc = 630 BLEvo
50% = 350wh Mc = 315 BLEvo
You can use the values that you want..
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles