• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
No problem SuperHans - one thing to check though before you go to the trouble and expense of purchasing an SM-PCE02. I presume that you’re aware the SC-E6100 doesn’t broadcast Bluetooth pairing data continuously? It only does so for approx 15 seconds following switching the device on, or pressing one of its buttons.
Also, I believe there is an auto-connect setting but I don't find it to work consistently so be quick to hit the "Connect" button.

SuperHans

May 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
No problem SuperHans - one thing to check though before you go to the trouble and expense of purchasing an SM-PCE02. I presume that you’re aware the SC-E6100 doesn’t broadcast Bluetooth pairing data continuously? It only does so for approx 15 seconds following switching the device on, or pressing one of its buttons.

Thanks for the tip. I'm interested in getting an SM-PCE02 for its own sake. Although if there was nothing available in the E-Tube project that couldn't be accomplished via the app then it might not be worthwhile. Can anyone advise if there are features that can only be accessed with an SM-PCE02?

Last edited:

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
Can anyone advise if there are features that can only be accessed with an SM-PCE02?
The SM-PCE02 (or the similar SM-PCE01) is a nice bit of kit to have, but it ‘s very expensive for what it is. I have only used mine a couple of times. It’s useful if you are unable to connect via Bluetooth or if you have forgotton the passkey. The device offers a more reliable firmware update route than via Bluetooth (though the eTube phone app is more stable now than it was - it used to be abysmal), also the interface can get you out of the shit if a firmware update via Bluetooth fails. In addition the SM-PCE02 does permit firmware to be rolled back to an earlier version - I’ve never tried this but others suggest that the procedure is relatively straightforward.
I strongly recommend that you peruse the comprehensive eTube project manual before deciding & parting with your cash https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-G.3.0.0-01-EN.pdf
Hope this helps. ?

Last edited:

SuperHans

May 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
The SM-PCE02 (or the similar SM-PCE01) is a nice bit of kit to have, but it ‘s very expensive for what it is. I have only used mine a couple of times. It’s useful if you are unable to connect via Bluetooth or if you have forgotton the passkey. The device offers a more reliable firmware update route than via Bluetooth (though the eTube phone app is more stable now than it was - it used to be abysmal), also the interface can get you out of the shit if a firmware update via Bluetooth fails. In addition the SM-PCE02 does permit firmware to be rolled back to an earlier version - I’ve never tried this but others suggest that the procedure is relatively straightforward.
I strongly recommend that you peruse the comprehensive eTube project manual before deciding & parting with your cash https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-G.3.0.0-01-EN.pdf
Hope this helps. ?

Cheers, the cheapest SM-PCE02 I could find was from Japan. Even then, due to CovId19, it will either take a long time or be expensive to get shipped. I'll probably leave it and see if a cheaper second-hand one pops up sometime. The dealer updated the FW so that Bluetooth would work and I rolled it back to a version that's tested for Stunlocker - so it's all working now.
My thanks to you and @vadII for helping me go from being clueless to all set up.

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New version with widgets and shortcuts for quick applying settings available at Google Play
"Panic" widget/shortcut for applying "Stock" settings
"Preset" widget/shortcut for applying custom Assist settings for bikes on which assist settings are not savable.
Updated manual includes all latest changes

Screenshot_1591645721.png

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
I think it's 99.9999% compatible, but I have not yet met a single adequate person who could test it on his bike with 4.5.0...
Anyway, there is downgrade option still available ;)

Following on from this - I have just successfully upgraded two (EU type) DU-E6100 equipped hybrids from 4.4.0 to 4.5.0 using the iPhone version of e-tube. I experienced no untoward issues during either upgrade, or afterwards.

Following the firmware upgrade and initially switching the market setting from EU to US via Stunlocker it was necessary in both cases to run e-tube again and select the ‘Restore default values‘ function. Thereafter swapping between EU & US Market settings via Stunlocker worked perfectly.

Piranah

Jul 7, 2020
Tromsø, Norway
Hi

have a Merida eOne Sixty 8000 with 8000 motor. Have installed speedbox..can I use stunlocker with the speedbox connected? Or shuld I remove it? Want to increase nm output.. is it possible? Any dangers with doing this? Engine failure and so on... kinda new to this so hope to get some good info here :)

tnx

PC

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Hi

have a Merida eOne Sixty 8000 with 8000 motor. Have installed speedbox..can I use stunlocker with the speedbox connected? Or shuld I remove it? Want to increase nm output.. is it possible? Any dangers with doing this? Engine failure and so on... kinda new to this so hope to get some good info here :)

tnx

PC
I don't think it effects the power output, just the top speed.

ATTRKTR

Jul 10, 2020
Australia
New version with widgets and shortcuts for quick applying settings available at Google Play
"Panic" widget/shortcut for applying "Stock" settings
"Preset" widget/shortcut for applying custom Assist settings for bikes on which assist settings are not savable.
Updated manual includes all latest changes

View attachment 33157

Hey vadII,

does this new version now support Firmware 4.3.0 for the e5000?

From the forum below, it looks like there was some hesitation with the 4.3.0 upgrade?

New 4.5.0 firmware for E7000/E6100 and 4.3.0 for E5000 - EMTB Forums

many thanks!

ATTRKTR

Jul 10, 2020
Australia
Yes, it's supported
Thanks for the reply @vadII .

I tried it this morning and it worked, although I had to do the procedure outlined by @Johnnie by going back into the eTube app and manually changing the speed to 32km/h, then back to STUnlocker and use the widget function (which is VERY uselful btw).

It's definitely a much more pleasant ride now.

Thanks again :)

nik4o77

Jan 24, 2020
Bulgaria
HI mates, I'm an owner of E-8000 and Just updated it with the latest firmware 4.8.0. Any info if this will be a problem to try to derestrict the bike? Thanks.

Jonzy

Jul 4, 2020
devon
Hi, if you set the region to usa only and for what ever reason the motor failed and you where unable to connect to reset the region back to Eu, do you think Shimano can tell or even tell that its been changed and then reverted? Just thinking long term about having a warranty thrown out because of this. Thanks in advance for some clarity.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Try to find someone who has Shimano PCE interface and try to connect. If you will able to connect you can try to reset market settings using STUnlocker for Windows

Hi, if you set the region to usa only and for what ever reason the motor failed and you where unable to connect to reset the region back to Eu, do you think Shimano can tell or even tell that its been changed and then reverted? Just thinking long term about having a warranty thrown out because of this. Thanks in advance for some clarity.

Tezwah

Jul 21, 2020
Tasmania
Hi guys, stunlocker app works a treat! I am struggling to find the request a license function though. It's not appearing in the menu, have tried connected and not connected to Merida e160, no luck. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well. Any ideas? Oh and Android pixel 3.

manttila

Jul 21, 2020
Finland
Yes that makes lot of sense, i just watched the free code offer quickly and didnt realise that date surpassed long time ago

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles