Rise motor error code

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I dont understand u all why u bother so much with that...bike works perfectly...code there or not...it works...its amazing bike...u want a problem where there is not.
So I guess your the type of guy that drives his car with the management light on due to fault codes and hopes for the best . They can often be a sign something is failing , it may work for now , and for now that's fine , but it says it for a reason. Personally I'd like some clarification from Shimano , I don't want to find myself in a situation where something does fail and have them reject my warranty claim because I've continued to use it with a fault . In Jim0905 case it was more than an error code , his download failed and he had no drive from the motor at all .

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
So I guess your the type of guy that drives his car with the management light on due to fault codes and hopes for the best . They can often be a sign something is failing , it may work for now , and for now that's fine , but it says it for a reason. Personally I'd like some clarification from Shimano , I don't want to find myself in a situation where something does fail and have them reject my warranty claim because I've continued to use it with a fault . In Jim0905 case it was more than an error code , his download failed and he had no drive from the motor at all .

I agree. The error code should not be there if there is no problem. If it is indeed an erroneous error code, Shimano should correct the problem. I'm very happy that the bike still works just fine, but, I too would like so see big S fix it or explain it. I'll continue to download firmware updates as needed since they aren't related to any error code. Obviously Jim had an issue with the download and I certainly hope no one has that same issue going forward. Glad he got it fixed.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
I work as a aftersales manager in automotive brand and i see people making problems and lossing their nerves...for what? That error code seems obviosly a SW problem. Shimano doesnt care for u...so what to do? U can drive the bike and enjoy...or...choice is yours ....shimano will sort it out...soon...u cant force them to do that now this moment...
It would be whole other issue if motor would fail and if it wouldnt work ok. Comparing car error logs or bike error logs is funny. And on shimano display there is no error shown.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Lol , what's your job got to do with anything ? Are you telling me that in your capacity as after sales manager you don't care about the concerns of your customers ? Why so funny using a comparison , £7000 on a bike is more than I spent on cars years ago . It obviously is a software problem ? Cool , an expert has cleared that up . Maybe your right and agree it's the most likely cause , where's the harm in clarification that's what it is ? Don't see why you feel the need to comment on it , nobody is forcing Shimano to do anything but it would be nice for them to acknowledge it. Everyone is still using their bikes as far as I'm aware and most don't have a display to compare against the mobile app .

Last edited:

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
You are a funny guy u know, i dont care if u are having problems i just tried to help somehow that important is that bike works normaly ...and all bla bla bla too much is just pointless. But...just continue its interesting reading how warriors like u will solve e01003 ?

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
You are a funny guy u know, i dont care if u are having problems i just tried to help somehow that important is that bike works normaly ...and all bla bla bla too much is just pointless. But...just continue its interesting reading how warriors like u will solve e01003 ?
Ha ha , too much is pointless , and there's me thinking that's what a forum is all about , discussing our bikes , good and bad ?. I will continue to try get an answer , I don't think I'm alone in that , as much for curiosity as anything ?

Last edited:

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
What all this seems to confirm is that the back up and servicing for Ebike’s is still trailing behind somewhat. Rob Hancill was making some valid points about this last year and it seems we’re no further forward. All the while demand for Ebike’s continues to grow and the bike/component manufacturers increases their profits. With us regularly shelling out 5-10k on these bikes thus situation has to improve.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I find customer support to be lacking in many industries to be honest , and if people just accept it and carry on there's nothing driving them to actually take notice and do anything about it . Trouble is things sell no matter what . I'll take a look at the Haibike thread , that's Yamaha motor I believe ?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
What all this seems to confirm is that the back up and servicing for Ebike’s is still trailing behind somewhat. Rob Hancill was making some valid points about this last year and it seems we’re no further forward. All the while demand for Ebike’s continues to grow and the bike/component manufacturers increases their profits. With us regularly shelling out 5-10k on these bikes thus situation has to improve.

Totally agree

My last two ebikes cost more than my van / car
Don’t get all these error with cars etc and I am sure they get a much harder life than a e bike

The situation does need a lot of improvement

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
The other thread on the apparent failings of the Haibike Allmtn 7 (which sold by the bucketload) isn’t exactly encouraging

Also trek too !!!

When I brought my Levo I started to read about these motor failures abs instantly regretted it and wished I had gone for a trek rail !!!!

9 months on the Levo has been faultless BUT reading the trek section I am glad I didn’t go for one over a Levo !!

Post about
Bosch motors failing
Motors being noise
Battery falling out of the frame when riding
Knock Blocks failing ruining frames
Chain rings coming lose
Rear hubs failing
Etc etc

My points is all of these things on many bikes by many different manufacturers need improving we only stand a chance if we report and makes a fuss of these issues

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Spoke to dealer today and they said exactly what I was thinking , get it looked at so it doesn't affect any future warranty issue because of continuing to use it with a fault code stored . Unfortunately shop I purchased from is hour and 45 mins away so I've emailed Madison to see if it can be looked at more locally .

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Spoke to dealer today and they said exactly what I was thinking , get it looked at so it doesn't affect any future warranty issue because of continuing to use it with a fault code stored . Unfortunately shop I purchased from is hour and 45 mins away so I've emailed Madison to see if it can be looked at more locally .

The LBS who sorted mine said it'd cleared the error but when I connected via etube app on my phone it was still there. Not sure if it's app related or my LBS was wrong/talking BS when he was telling me it'd cleared it. Let us know what Madison say (y)

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Yeah i understand u...but shimano doesnt care for all complains and so on...and i wonder if it is shimano problem or orbea...but again...bike works. And no error is shown on display...works no problem whatssoever...android also has many errors ...i belive they will solve this...but we cant do nothing...but we can still enjoy on bike ?

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
"Problem" solved ??
Yeah i understand u...but shimano doesnt care for all complains and so on...and i wonder if it is shimano problem or orbea...but again...bike works. And no error is shown on display...works no problem whatssoever...android also has many errors ...i belive they will solve this...but we cant do nothing...but we can still enjoy on bike ?
Can't solve something they don't know about ?

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Sure they do. But they dont consider important, or probably it will be solved without anserws with sw upgrade. Thats not HW error ...or all ep8 would have that error

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Irrelevant , we paid alot of money for something that says it's got an error . I get you aren't bothered and that's your choice dude ☺️

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
It looks like it’s not just the EP8 RS, I’ve got a 1 month old Spectral:On with a standard EP8 with the same error

That's interesting. I would bet that most people with an ebike don't dig into the app to search for an error code. It doesn't notify you of an error on normal use of the bike or the app without searching for it, so I bet it's quite ubiquitous. It should be fixed, but I'm just glad I can still ride my bike.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
That's interesting. I would bet that most people with an ebike don't dig into the app to search for an error code. It doesn't notify you of an error on normal use of the bike or the app without searching for it, so I bet it's quite ubiquitous. It should be fixed, but I'm just glad I can still ride my bike.

Yeah same here, it’s having no noticeable impact to the drivetrain so hopefully it’s nothing serious but well worth getting a formal response to clarify.

I agree that there will probably be a number of EP8 owners that have this error but just haven’t looked at the logs.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I had a classic Italian car that would throw "check engine" lights almost every other drive. I bought an OBDII scanner so that I could see what the code was, and then reset it if it wasn't something that would blow the motor up.

Probably the same here - just go ride and don't worry about an intermittent sensor code at this point.

Reactions: jka

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I've had a reply today from Madison

The warranty department have advised If the error code has cleared & the bike is functioning as expected then there’s no rush to have the bike looked at as the code relates to a loss in connection somewhere on the bike. As the fault has cleared it indicates that the fault may have been caused by a dirty port or cable not correctly seated.

It’s certainly worth having the bike checked over periodically, however the bike at present is safe to ride.

Kind Regards

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
I hooked my rise up to my PCE1 box today and there were no error codes logged which means it’s a glitch in the app....and for reference that specific error code can be thrown if you get mud on the sensor or brake shavings on the magnet...the point is I am pretty confident it will be addressed in the next app update. Hope this helps

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I hooked my rise up to my PCE1 box today and there were no error codes logged which means it’s a glitch in the app....and for reference that specific error code can be thrown if you get mud on the sensor or brake shavings on the magnet...the point is I am pretty confident it will be addressed in the next app update. Hope this helps
Great news and and great help cheers

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Had a failure of the drive system today, two blinking red leds. Got the bike back home and linked to the E-TUBE app and it shows the following.

6203FDB3-8980-4212-AF34-7A40388474D6.png

powered off and left for 10 mins, back on and everything was fine...

Only thing that has changed recently was the wheel set, which now has 6 bolt discs so had to fit a different magnet from the centre lock type.

image.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles