Relay Tips / Tricks

vorou

Jul 11, 2024
Laguna Beach
Interesting they say Green Loctite, which requires heat to remove- If you even (knock on wood) needed a motor replacement, I wonder how you/bike shop would remove the motor
loctite site says it should generally be possible to remove it without heating:
For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.
that said, I used the blue one cause fazua's manual and everyone in this thread says so.

got the thing back together, but didn't try it out yet, hopefully the motor won't fall off

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
I‘m experiencing a load knocking sound coming from the BB area i assume.
Happens when charging over roots and rocks or when lifting and then dropping the bike.
Maybe it‘s the dhx2 (sounds similar to when the shock is loose / loose spring, defective bushings) but I didn‘t find anything wrong and also torqued all screws of the bike again.
I need to try another shock to eliminate that possibility.

Other possibility would be that the motor is doing this noise and something inside is loose.

Anyone had a similar issue so far?

ehfour

Feb 28, 2024
Vancouver
Happens when charging over roots and rocks or when lifting and then dropping the bike.
Maybe it‘s the dhx2 (sounds similar to when the shock is loose / loose spring, defective bushings) but I didn‘t find anything wrong and also torqued all screws of the bike again.

Other possibility would be that the motor is doing this noise and something inside is loose.

Maybe, the 2 knocking sounds I had were

1) Loose cables from the Motor BB area- wrapped them in foam
2) Loose lower chainstay bolts, it made it sound and feel like a bad rear wheel bearing- tightened and went away

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Also had 2), for 1) i never had issues but also added foam to exclude the cables just this week.

I highly assume it‘s the motor, i‘ll update you

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Thanks, meanwhile

turned out it was a Defective DHX2, the base unscrewed a bit from the top (it‘s screwed on with high torque and high strength loctice, shouldn‘t unscrew at all). I was losubg oil bit by bit, finally the damping didn‘t work properly and caused a load cloncky noise, similar to a loose spring / bad bushings.
Have a Marzocchi bomber CR in now and send the DHX2 for service.

Luckily it was not the motor 😀

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Thanks, meanwhile

turned out it was a Defective DHX2, the base unscrewed a bit from the top (it‘s screwed on with high torque and high strength loctice, shouldn‘t unscrew at all). I was losubg oil bit by bit, finally the damping didn‘t work properly and caused a load cloncky noise, similar to a loose spring / bad bushings.
Have a Marzocchi bomber CR in now and send the DHX2 for service.

Luckily it was not the motor 😀
You put the DHx2 on there? Or did they change the spec from the DHX?

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
In Germany it was easier to get the non PNW version, especially with some discount. I went for the GX AXS version and swapped everything except the dropper and the drivetrain. Dhx2, maven, zipp moto mullet, fox 38, oneup bar…

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
In Germany it was easier to get the non PNW version, especially with some discount. I went for the GX AXS version and swapped everything except the dropper and the drivetrain. Dhx2, maven, zipp moto mullet, fox 38, oneup bar…
I see. Thinking of swapping the DHX2 out for something else? I have a Push 11.6 on the Relay and EXT E-Storia on the TR11. Both are fantastic by my usage. Cane Creek TiGon would be my next choice. The DHX that came on the PNW relay has been regarded as the worst coil shock on the market. I looked at the DHX2, but decided to go a little bougie. haha. Definitely don't regret it.

Tmae

Nov 5, 2023
Ger
Hehe, Push and EXE are of course the high end choices 😃
I went for the DHX2 because on my jeffsy i‘m also running one and quite happy, also it was very relyable, -well, was 😅
I sent it to Fox for repair and also to get it tuned to the relay.
So currently i‘m sticking with dhx2, was also happy on the relay as long as it worked.
Next one will be probably exe or öhlins.
I bought an marzocchi bomber CR for the repair time, feels somehow quite firm/overdamped compared to the dhx2. The DHX i didn‘t try but it‘s the successor of the Van coil (basically a marzocchi bomber), so might be a bit similar.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
The DHX that came on the PNW relay has been regarded as the worst coil shock on the market. I looked at the DHX2, but decided to go a little bougie. haha. Definitely don't regret it.
What a load of crap, you have no idea how fox designed their lines. The float x and the dhx are trail shocks, they are designed to provide a stable peddling platform. The “2’s” are the full plush shocks with little provisions for peddling. If you are complaining the the dhx is not plush enough, you are missing the point. On a side note, if your frame uses a yoke on its shock, think twice about using a dh x2. The smaller shaft will have issues with hard bottom outs.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
What a load of crap, you have no idea how fox designed their lines. The float x and the dhx are trail shocks, they are designed to provide a stable peddling platform. The “2’s” are the full plush shocks with little provisions for peddling. If you are complaining the the dhx is not plush enough, you are missing the point. On a side note, if your frame uses a yoke on its shock, think twice about using a dh x2. The smaller shaft will have issues with hard bottom outs.
Geez, don't shoot the messenger. Go yell at the other people who are the ones who regard that shock as the worst coil on the market.

I don't use a DHX or a DHX2. I'm perfectly happy with my choice of shock.

aclemons6970

May 6, 2024
Johnson City, TN
All, had an odd issue at the bike park today and can’t seem to find any data online. Installed my battery and all 5 lights on the display flashed red. The flashes were in a sequence of three, pause, three flashes, etc. no power and could not use the bike. Any idea what this fault means and how to resolve? Nothing I can read says anything about all five lights flashing red, only a single one. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve got a big ride coming up so want to resolve as quick as possible.

CalebDC

Jul 17, 2024
San Diego, CA
All, had an odd issue at the bike park today and can’t seem to find any data online. Installed my battery and all 5 lights on the display flashed red. The flashes were in a sequence of three, pause, three flashes, etc. no power and could not use the bike. Any idea what this fault means and how to resolve? Nothing I can read says anything about all five lights flashing red, only a single one. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve got a big ride coming up so want to resolve as quick as possible.

The only mention of red LED flashing is from a drivepack impairment. Do you have any errors on the app?

aclemons6970

May 6, 2024
Johnson City, TN
The only mention of red LED flashing is from a drivepack impairment. Do you have any errors on the app?
So unfortunately with the flashing red lights, it won’t connect via Bluetooth. It tries and I can see the blue lights doing the “connecting” thing, but just as it connects, it drops the connection and goes back to the flashing red lights again.

Looks like I found what it means in the instructions, any ideas on this?

1726484688650.png
1726484688650.png

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
every now and then I get flashing red lights. Almost always after I let the bike turn itself off and then turn it back on to resume the ride. Pulling the battery for a second or two has always done the trick. Only once or twice have I seen red flashing after inserting the battery. And again, just disconnecting the battery for a second solves it.

Hopefully your issue isn't anything serious. Keep us updated.

aclemons6970

May 6, 2024
Johnson City, TN
every now and then I get flashing red lights. Almost always after I let the bike turn itself off and then turn it back on to resume the ride. Pulling the battery for a second or two has always done the trick. Only once or twice have I seen red flashing after inserting the battery. And again, just disconnecting the battery for a second solves it.

Hopefully your issue isn't anything serious. Keep us updated.
So unfortunately I've take everything apart, cleaned it well, and reassembled - same issue, all lights flash red 3 times, delay, then again.

Doesn't seem to be something I can resolve at home - so to the LBS it goes tomorrow. Bummer - I've had good luck with this bike so far and love it. I have a week off next week and was planning a full week at Kanuga, Rock Creek, Fire Mountain, Bakers and more. This will be a huge let down if unable to enjoy.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
So unfortunately I've take everything apart, cleaned it well, and reassembled - same issue, all lights flash red 3 times, delay, then again.

Doesn't seem to be something I can resolve at home - so to the LBS it goes tomorrow. Bummer - I've had good luck with this bike so far and love it. I have a week off next week and was planning a full week at Kanuga, Rock Creek, Fire Mountain, Bakers and more. This will be a huge let down if unable to enjoy.
yeah, that does suck. The only slight up side is the bike does pedal without power. If you can't get it sorted, maybe take it back from the LBS and plan on more Rock Creek since there are shuttles there. Not really a week's worth of riding there, but with the shuttles at least you get to ride. The green climb at Kanuga isn't terrible, longer but not steep. That's a bummer for sure. Best of luck bud.

Couple of weeks ago I traveled to Whistler and Bellingham with the Relays. (mine and my GF's). She rode 3 days at Whistler (I brought my DH bike too) and we both rode 4 days in Bellingham. When we were riding the steeper off map stuff in Bellingham we both ran out of batteries. Had to pedal a total of 800ish feet in elevation on some steep stuff. It wasn't enjoyable. LoL

aclemons6970

May 6, 2024
Johnson City, TN
yeah, that does suck. The only slight up side is the bike does pedal without power. If you can't get it sorted, maybe take it back from the LBS and plan on more Rock Creek since there are shuttles there. Not really a week's worth of riding there, but with the shuttles at least you get to ride. The green climb at Kanuga isn't terrible, longer but not steep. That's a bummer for sure. Best of luck bud.

Couple of weeks ago I traveled to Whistler and Bellingham with the Relays. (mine and my GF's). She rode 3 days at Whistler (I brought my DH bike too) and we both rode 4 days in Bellingham. When we were riding the steeper off map stuff in Bellingham we both ran out of batteries. Had to pedal a total of 800ish feet in elevation on some steep stuff. It wasn't enjoyable. LoL
Yeah man - I follow you and the Papaya - some epic adventures sir!

I live nearby, so not a total tragedy, but still a bummer. As you mentioned, if they can't sort it in a couple of days, I will just grab it back and make it a park week. Beech doesn't close till the 28th I believe, and can do Rock Creek, the new WildsideTN, and Windrock. So not a total loss.

I would not want to pedal this thing 800ft in the PNW, you got better legs than me. I previously had a TR Scout, and pedaling that thing 800ft was tough enough.

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
184#s, 44# Relay, don't carry a hydration pack.
I was wondering because I felt with that shock I would have to go up in spring weight quite a bit. When I got the bike I went up from 400 to 450 without ever riding it. With the bottom outs I was experiencing, I felt like I would need a 500 or 550 spring since I ride at about 200 pounds. Just didn't seem right to me with the dampening abilities of the stock shock. Seems like your guy has that sorted out for you. Do you have any time on the shock after it was worked on?

Mr Tonka

Apr 19, 2024
Tampa
Yeah man - I follow you and the Papaya - some epic adventures sir!

I live nearby, so not a total tragedy, but still a bummer. As you mentioned, if they can't sort it in a couple of days, I will just grab it back and make it a park week. Beech doesn't close till the 28th I believe, and can do Rock Creek, the new WildsideTN, and Windrock. So not a total loss.

I would not want to pedal this thing 800ft in the PNW, you got better legs than me. I previously had a TR Scout, and pedaling that thing 800ft was tough enough.
Smart move on the park trip.

It was the kind of steep where even with pedal assist, you were considering a hike a bike. LoL. I do feel like peddling that bike with the motor off is more of a mental thing. After you do it for a bit, it just seems normal.

In Peru, after the first part of the first day, it just felt like riding a burly bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles