Reign E+ 2022

parkp81

Jun 29, 2023
Orange County
I leave you my latest video subtitled in German and English, where I explain in detail my current charging process on my giant queen 2022, and its problems after the last update....20 hours to charge the ebike to 100%, crazy.

I charged mine yesterday with the battery on the bike and did not encounter any charging issues. This is after the latest update. I have the 2023 Reign E. Sorry you are having issues, hopefully it gets sorted out for you.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
I just don't worry about it when it happens, and it only does very occasionally.
If it happens every time I'd claim with a Giant Dealer. Posting it here will not fix it.

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
Someone has noticed that after the last update their ebike consumes much less... I have been on three routes and on all three I have noticed that it consumes less... either I am stronger or it consumes less... the scratches will go away later .

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys, has anyone or knows someone that has done some diy(3d print or similar) work to make the Ergo 3 controller more ergonomic.

I didn't completely like it at the beginning and we are still not really friends so to say...

Do you all like the feeling of it, am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit lacking...

✌️

Last edited:

Heated

May 18, 2024
new zealand
Only thing I dont like about the Control is my 'up' button basically has no rebound so it just stays 'almost' compressed
Hoping at the 6 week check up We can get it swapped out.

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
Only thing I dont like about the Control is my 'up' button basically has no rebound so it just stays 'almost' compressed
Hoping at the 6 week check up We can get it swapped out.
Hi!
I've had the same problem since the first day of driving.
Swapped it through the app, for ease of use))

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hey guys, has anyone or knows someone that has do e some diy(3d print or similar) work to make the Ergo 3 controller more ergonomic.

I didn't completely like it at the beginning and we are still not really friends so to say...

Do you all like the feeling of it, am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit lacking...

✌️
Took my controller off the bike and just use the control that's in the down tube only thing I don't have is walk assist and don't miss it. It would be nice to have controller similar to it for shifting but, higher grade.

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Tengo un problema con el soporte del flip chip, tiene holgura en su interior, parece que hay desgaste en el chasis en el varillaje, a alguien le ha pasado esto y lo ha cubierto la garantía? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Attachments

• reign e+ bieleta.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 54

Lenswide

Feb 24, 2024
Greece
We got to say thank you Giant for all this mess regarding updates that offer nothing but troubles with charging our batteries.
These times, other manufacturers are offering serious upgrades to their motors giving more power to follow the competition.
Giant officialy now has the least powerful motor in the full fat category.
Well done!

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Shimano update only applies to EP801 & needs to be done by a dealer. Motor tech is a leapfrog race. I think the Giant RideControl app is good enough to do Over The Air firmware updates but seriously lacks user features like running without being logged in, include a picture of my bike, plan a ride without turning the bike on, and finally stop the app from sucking all my data to a Taiwan server as it is described in their privacy statement. 😖

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
We got to say thank you Giant for all this mess regarding updates that offer nothing but troubles with charging our batteries.
These times, other manufacturers are offering serious upgrades to their motors giving more power to follow the competition.
Giant officialy now has the least powerful motor in the full fat category.
Well done!
I get the battery issue thing but, they have the same nm as other for instance the EP801. They do have less then the DJI and ZF. Not that any bodies updates should cause problem but unfortunately that is not uncommon for "updates" with anything not just Ebikes.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Personally I don't do updates or touch the app. However it will be interesting to see if giant move over the next gen batteries to save 800g on their 800Wh battery pack, and most importantly will the batteries be compatible with older bikes. That is the one thing I think Giant deserve a huge amount of credit for, is that their batteries are compatible across generations for many years unlike other systems.

That being said, kind of hope they move over to a different motor manufacturer unless Yamaha have something up their sleeve...

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
i do every update and apart from some charging time issues previously and erasing my total miles I do not have any other issues with the updates. I am in USA and bought mine June 2022.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Personally I don't do updates or touch the app. However it will be interesting to see if giant move over the next gen batteries to save 800g on their 800Wh battery pack, and most importantly will the batteries be compatible with older bikes. That is the one thing I think Giant deserve a huge amount of credit for, is that their batteries are compatible across generations for many years unlike other systems.

That being said, kind of hope they move over to a different motor manufacturer unless Yamaha have something up their sleeve...
I Think Yamaha has a plan after all they kinda started the whole thing.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
For me, the power and torque number of the Reign are not an issue and will never be. I find them to be quite enough, that type of bikes are meant to be pointed downhill most of the time anyway.
And for when going up, current power and torque number are fine.
There are even times that - using the highest power lever assistance mode - the rear wheel breaks traction and thus causes loss of momentum.
I think the next big thing in the development/evolution of e-bikes will be traction/torque control. The technology is nothing new, they have everything they need to implement it. They just have to do some good real field testing to get the algorithm right.
Imagine it, going uphill some technical trails, putting down all the power you can with your legs, having a high level assist mode chosen, and the bike will automatically adjust the torque output in real time if the system detects loss of traction.
It's not the same as the auto mode, or the emtb mode of the bosch system.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Last update I did stopped the jitter of the motor when you are sitting there not moving but have your foot on the pedal.
I actually like that it does that and it doesn't do that all the time not to mention it's real easy to stop it from doing that.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
For me, the power and torque number of the Reign are not an issue and will never be. I find them to be quite enough, that type of bikes are meant to be pointed downhill most of the time anyway.
And for when going up, current power and torque number are fine.
There are even times that - using the highest power lever assistance mode - the rear wheel breaks traction and thus causes loss of momentum.
I think the next big thing in the development/evolution of e-bikes will be traction/torque control. The technology is nothing new, they have everything they need to implement it. They just have to do some good real field testing to get the algorithm right.
Imagine it, going uphill some technical trails, putting down all the power you can with your legs, having a high level assist mode chosen, and the bike will automatically adjust the torque output in real time if the system detects loss of traction.
It's not the same as the auto mode, or the emtb mode of the bosch system.
I have disagree with pointed downhill thing she's an enduro she climbs good for both! I sure hope with the traction/torque control they'll keep it so you can turn it off if and when you don't want it.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark

Giant was one of the first with the new battery cell tech.
Heavy Weight of Giant batteries is down to the massive alu-tube around the battery almost 900gr

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Giant was one of the first with the new battery cell tech.
Heavy Weight of Giant batteries is down to the massive alu-tube around the battery almost 900gr

From this article, they used a different cell packaging to get better energy density, but the chemistry of the cells was not new. The new batteries used in the Orbea, Nicolai and DJI are about 20% more energy dense

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark

From this article, they used a different cell packaging to get better energy density, but the chemistry of the cells was not new. The new batteries used in the Orbea, Nicolai and DJI are about 20% more energy dense
Same chemestry applies to Giant, Orbea, Nicolai and Dji. No magic, and no further brakethroug in cell tech on the market.

New players might be playing the numbergame with theoratical capacity stretched out the get the hype.

22700 cells in Giant 400/800wh are 20% more energydens than 18650 cells in 500/650wh energy packs.

But the reason for Giant 800wh being heavier than Dji 800wh, is because og heavy aluminum casing.

My carbon/plastic Giant 800wh is as light as Dji 800Wh
IMG_2593.png
IMG_2549.jpeg IMG_2585.jpeg

Last edited:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Oh I remember that mod, nice!

I'm still pretty sure there has been a 15-20% improvement at the cell level though: example is the FIT batteries going from 720 to 800Wh, a lot of lightweight packs are going from 360 to 420 etc all in the exact same size and weight.

In the latest recharged podcast, Rob specifically quotes a brand saying they are paying 50% more for high end cells to get a 15% improvement in density.

We know that there are expensive high density batteries out there already in the EV world with stunts like the NIO car driving 1000km on one charge.

Someone on the forum alluded to the next gen Bosch system having 800Wh batteries at 3.3kg which would be massive news if true.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
The latest 21700 cells(industry standard) of good quality usually reach a max of 5Ah of capacity, there are some cells going to 5,5Ah but those are of questionable quality IMO and if not specifically stated by the manufacturer which cells of what manufacturer they use especially in the newer lage 800+ batteries I would be suspicious.

The Giant's 800Wh and 400Wh(article above) batteries use specifically for Giant made 22700(not industry standard) cells made by Panasonic, probably a partnership between them.

Giant was first using these cells they also mentioned it on their websites, the batteries IMO have more advantages than disadvantages. Actually I noticed only one disadvantage, when it's cold outside the battery takes longer to get to an operating temperature once cooled to the outside temp(example when doing a longer descent following a climb). But the higer efficiency mostly negates this.

I also agree that most of the weight difference is in housings for the batteries and surly not in battery tech as there were no significant advances. I also am not sure anyone else than Giant is using the 22700 cells at least I have not seen it in any manufacturers press material or tech specs.

The next step to reduce weight will IMO be the use of solid state or so called blade type batteries, but since that tech is just starting in the car industry it could take a while.

✌️⚡🚲

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Thanks!

I'm still pretty sure there has been a 15-20% improvement at the cell level though: example is the FIT batteries going from 720 to 800Wh, a lot of lightweight packs are going from 360 to 420 etc all in the exact same size and weight.
Giant did the same Q4 2022.
You can buy Giant/Panasonic cells now and they are double the price, of 20% less capacity, same size cells.

Just the cells for 800wh battery weight 3.000gr 266-280wh/kg so 3.300gr for a complete battery is highly unlikely.

Solid state batteries will move the weight down in the future.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey community ✌️

I created a new thread with a title:

Giant 625Wh vs 800Wh Battery

It contains an extensive comparison of both batteries over more than 100 recorded rides. The data is presented in the Metric or Imperial standard as anyone prefers.

If anyone needs some data or info it's here to look at by will...

Thread 'Giant 625Wh vs 800Wh Battery' Giant 625Wh vs 800Wh Battery

Hope it helps someone.

✌️more-bikes🚲⚡

wafu1982

Apr 23, 2023
Cornwall
Hi there everyone. This may have been covered so apologies if that’s the case, but has anyone tried fitting a 240mm One Up dropper to a Large Reign E at all? I’m thinking of going up a size now I’ve fitted 145mm Pinnd cranks.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Same chemestry applies to Giant, Orbea, Nicolai and Dji. No magic, and no further brakethroug in cell tech on the market.

New players might be playing the numbergame with theoratical capacity stretched out the get the hype.

22700 cells in Giant 400/800wh are 20% more energydens than 18650 cells in 500/650wh energy packs.

But the reason for Giant 800wh being heavier than Dji 800wh, is because og heavy aluminum casing.

My carbon/plastic Giant 800wh is as light as Dji 800Wh
View attachment 144741
What is that, a carbon wrap? I would be concerned that with void any warranty issues as could be altering the thermal properties of the battery?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi there everyone. This may have been covered so apologies if that’s the case, but has anyone tried fitting a 240mm One Up dropper to a Large Reign E at all? I’m thinking of going up a size now I’ve fitted 145mm Pinnd cranks.
I would look at the measurements on one ups site they list all the measurements for there droppers with drawing. That should help determine how it would fit. I don't know if anybody on here has put that dropper on there bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles