Pic of the Day

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Where gravel comes from

Gravel getters.JPG

There are at least 4 gravel pits across the road from me and I call this ride the Pit Loop.

Pit loop.PNG

Don't get too upset about the elevation....but it is at least half that according to my other device

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
They operated out of nearby RAF Wombleton, which was a sub-base to RAF Topcliffe for No.6 Group RCAF flying Halifax, Wellingtons and Lancasters. I ride by this memorial at the entrance to the former base most road rides and always pay my respects to their contribution and sacrifice.

My Father was a navigator on the Lancaster when the war ended. While crossing the channel both engines failed and the pilot called to bail out. My Father couldn’t find his chute so they decided to try for land. Crash landed in a farmer’s field “safely”. He said the French farm girls were very very nice for the two weeks they had to stay with the aircraft. I hear this story every time I see him now. I don’t mind.
Maybe I have older siblings in France ?
Edit; come to think of it, there was probably lots Lancasters ploughing fields in France. Lol.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
My Father was a navigator on the Lancaster when the war ended. While crossing the channel both engines failed and the pilot called to bail out. My Father couldn’t find his chute so they decided to try for land. Crash landed in a farmer’s field “safely”. He said the French farm girls were very very nice for the two weeks they had to stay with the aircraft. I hear this story every time I see him now. I don’t mind.
Maybe I have older siblings in France ?
Edit; come to think of it, there was probably lots Lancasters ploughing fields in France. Lol.

At Kepwick Bank, one of the places I rode to on Saturday, there is a small memorial cross which is for 434 Squadron who crashed a Lancaster in bad weather towards the end of WWII

879C7EFB-3E72-4947-ABF5-CBD9A48A0A67.jpeg

Last edited:

Kilham5

Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
I believe the Kepwith crash was a Halifax bomber, returning to RAF Croft after a mission.
Not ridden up there for a while, may make it in next week

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Yesterday's jaunt - guess where? Winter Hill and Rivington again!

At least it was dry and the weather had improved a bit, almost sunny! ;)

21.5 miles, 3100+ feet of climbing (and descents ?), 1274 active kCals... 37 miles over the weekend and over 5000ft of climbing...

The now ubiquitous pic at the summit..
WinterHillSummit01.jpg

...and for a bit of variety - the small reservoir on the climb out of Belmont...
BelmontReservoir.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
My home, Helmsley in North Yorkshire has close ties and fond memories of the Canadians stationed here during WW2
They operated out of nearby RAF Wombleton, which was a sub-base to RAF Topcliffe for No.6 Group RCAF flying Halifax, Wellingtons and Lancasters. I ride by this memorial at the entrance to the former base most road rides and always pay my respects to their contribution and sacrifice.

View attachment 55092
Speaking of Canadians, we have, or rather had this near us. The story is interesting. The south downs were used as a training range in WW2, this tank broke down & before it could be repaired, it was superseded by a better version, so the Canucks used it for target practice before heading off to D day.

After the war, the downs were restored & the tank was buried as a cheap alternative to towing it off the hill. It was dug up again in the 90's so that Bovington tank museum could strip bits off it for restoring other tanks in their collection & left as a shell. It was finally removed last year & taken to Bovington.

Note the sexy carbon trail weapon :cool:

uiL8U_4u.jpg large.jpg
Ai2pblbJ.jpg large.jpg

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Change of venue for today's ride as it would have been a soggy bogfest on the planned route..so off to Kielder for a mash up of Lonesome Pine / Deadwater / Osprey trail ..
Jaco's first ride out on his new Levo ..which he loved once he worked out that the power mode switch was on the handle bar and not the on/ off switch on the battery readout ..?
Tipping down for a lot of the ride but it didn't spoil the fun ..
20210308_123830.jpg

Kielder Observatory..because Jaco had never been there ..
20210308_135417.jpg

Jaco coming off "Jimmy's Hill"..onto the first section of " All along the Watchtower" climb on the Deadwater Trail
A nice but ultimately very wet ride ..but better out than in as they say ..?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
is it a steeplechase course and if so did you manage to bunny hop over the water gaps ok ? :)
Unlikely. He's "RichT" .. which presumably means he stopped at each, inserted his battery powered water heater, threw in several T-bags and made a massive ditch of tea to consume several times over. You wouldn't want to be his bladder !

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Speaking of Canadians, we have, or rather had this near us. The story is interesting. The south downs were used as a training range in WW2, this tank broke down & before it could be repaired, it was superseded by a better version, so the Canucks used it for target practice before heading off to D day.

After the war, the downs were restored & the tank was buried as a cheap alternative to towing it off the hill. It was dug up again in the 90's so that Bovington tank museum could strip bits off it for restoring other tanks in their collection & left as a shell. It was finally removed last year & taken to Bovington.

Note the sexy carbon trail weapon :cool:

Good choice of weapon!

I really like the Tank museum in Bovington. I even got myself a Tank Christmas jumper.
People in the office concluded that they wouldn’t expect anything else from me

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Unlikely. He's "RichT" .. which presumably means he stopped at each, inserted his battery powered water heater, threw in several T-bags and made a massive ditch of tea to consume several times over. You wouldn't want to be his bladder !
Rich Tea..is a biscuit from Mcvities ..I've got him down as half man / half biscuit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles