Orbea Rise Owners - Please Read

I Do Blues

Jun 10, 2021
North Vancouver, BC
Yep, I totally ran into this issue. On about my third week on my Rise, the e*Thirteen carbon crank spindle cap screw fell off on a descent (I didn't realize it did). When I went to start the climb at the bottom of the run, my crank fell off. It took e*Thirteen about a week to send me a couple of replacement screw caps. They sent some blue Loctite with it, but that only "sort of" helped. I still have to tighten it every ride and it would likely fall off again if I didn't. I'm going to try putting on some stronger red Loctite to see if that helps.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Orbea seems to have an interesting countermeasure for the carbon cranks... I just received my new M-Team Rise yesterday, and noticed when I got it home that it has the alloy cranks on it. Build date on the bike was 5/31/21. Anyone else take delivery of an M-Team or M-LTD recently and notice the same?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Orbea seems to have an interesting countermeasure for the carbon cranks... I just received my new M-Team Rise yesterday, and noticed when I got it home that it has the alloy cranks on it. Build date on the bike was 5/31/21. Anyone else take delivery of an M-Team or M-LTD recently and notice the same?
Wow I wouldn’t be happy with that !! You pay out for the highest spec so you should have the highest spec

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Unless its an XTR crankset - apparently some Rise owners have gotten XTRs as a replacement for the e*13 carbon cranks.
I would be fine with XTR in lieu of the e*13 carbon arms, but I'm less than amused at the quiet substitution of the alloy e*13 arms. Let's see what Orbea comes back with. Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to the EP8 compatible XTR crank arms? I've heard mention of XTR crank arms (on here), but I can't actually find any info on them. Even the Shimano site listing EP8000/EP8 compatible parts only shows XT arms (FC-M8150).

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
I wouldn’t accept that, either a rebate on the cost or a substitute installed with pick up and delivery back with a sweetener for the hassle. The bike costs more than a lot of cars, just not on.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
What does the LBS you bought it from have to say about it? The LBS didn’t invoke the switch but they have much better access to both Orbea and ethirteen representatives than customers do - as I experienced when my left side pre load cap came off and lost, and I was seeking resolution.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
What does the LBS you bought it from have to say about it?
The word from the LBS is that Orbea ran out of inventory on the carbon cranks and fitted the alloys instead to keep orders moving. No idea how many other bikes they let go like this, but anyone that is expecting theirs soon should of course keep their eyes open. Apparently Orbea will send a pair of the carbon arms to the LBS when they are available, who in turn will send them to me.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The word from the LBS is that Orbea ran out of inventory on the carbon cranks and fitted the alloys instead to keep orders moving. No idea how many other bikes they let go like this, but anyone that is expecting theirs soon should of course keep their eyes open. Apparently Orbea will send a pair of the carbon arms to the LBS when they are available, who in turn will send them to me.
That’s what I’ve heard also

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Ack. Just dug through the documentation that came in the box and there is a letter from Orbea explaining the situation with the cranks. Call off the wolves. They indeed started fitting M-Team and M-LTD builds with alloy cranks recently due to a shortage of the carbon arms. They are tracking things through the online warranty registration and will contact affected owners when the carbon cranks are available to have them bring their bikes back to the LBS to have the carbon arms installed (and you keep the alloy ones they remove).

evildos

Apr 13, 2021
France
Hi !
I was trying to remove the chainring to apply an invisiframe kit, and busted the crank endcap. (Rise m20)
Any tip to remove it, please ?
If you have a link to order the part or the part number, you’re welcome too ?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Hi !
I was trying to remove the chainring to apply an invisiframe kit, and busted the crank endcap. (Rise m20)
Here you go. I installed the Invisiframe, but left out the piece for the drive side CS. Unless you remove the derailleur cable, you can’t get to the screw to remove the rubber CS protector, to install the entire piece. I installed my own piece of Heli tape on the back half of the CS.

brendand

Dec 19, 2020
Calgary, Canada
Hi !

Oh, I didn't realize you'd have to remove the chainring to install the Invisiframe kit on a Rise. I'll have to let my installer know that when I get my Rise. I already have the Invisiframe kit waiting.

I think there's a special tool to remove the chainring isn't there?

evildos

Apr 13, 2021
France
Oh, I didn't realize you'd have to remove the chainring to install the Invisiframe kit on a Rise. I'll have to let my installer know that when I get my Rise. I already have the Invisiframe kit waiting.

You do need a specific tool for the chainring.
However, you can install the kit without removing it. It’s just a tiny bit harder at this spot.
I removed the ring for the kit AND a little side project, so no need to worry if you just want to install your kit ?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal

The chainring only affects 1 piece, the CS piece. I left the chainring on and cut my own piece of heli tape that I installed on the back half of the CS.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Hi !

They are truly made of cheese... I tried screw removers, added a thread and tried glueing a bolt into it with red thread lock, heated it.....

in the end I got it out using a hammer and punch to knock it round.

Frazzer

Sep 6, 2019
Londonish
Can anyone recommend the right Loctite to use? Is it 242? Crank arm fell off mid ride a few days ago, not fun. Luckily no parts lost but need to get this sorted beyond tightening up pre-ride.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Can anyone recommend the right Loctite to use? Is it 242? Crank arm fell off mid ride a few days ago, not fun. Luckily no parts lost but need to get this sorted beyond tightening up pre-ride.

242 is what I used. And definitely use a torque wrench on both the preload bolt and the crankarm bolts.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
Along with your torque wrench you will need a long 5 m Allen key socket at least 3” long to reach both bolts on the aluminum crank arms. I got one overnight on Amazon for $9

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
You DONT need to remove the chain ring to fit a invisframe kit
I have done two kits on the rise now and neither time did I need to remove the chain ring

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury

You don’t need to remove it imo I have done two kits never needed to remove the chain ring

crencos

May 18, 2021
Portugal
You can swap the carbon e13 crank arms to this ones: Shimano FC-EM900. Soon you´ll know why this is a good option. ;)
I have already a pair waiting. Mine carbon e13 keep falling off, glued the alloy top cap and when I tried to remove them I strip the 5mm allen hole. It was a patience day with a Dremel cutting the top cap near the threads to remove it as I needed to remove the motor and the battery for service. My carbon crank arms are all dented from falling on the ground. Next time I need to remove one or when they get too much damage, I´ll swap to the Shimano ones.

SP5657

Oct 25, 2022
Kent
I wanted to recommend that all Rise owners check the caps and crank arm bolts on their crank arms. My non drive side crank arm fell off mid ride. The cap had fallen off (and is lost forever). I would recommend reinstalling them with threadlocker. Miraculously I had a spare at home, but it ruined a ride and could have ruined the splines on the spindle or the crank arm. Since the cap is really just for tensioning, I’m not sure what caused it. These are carbon crank arms that only have a single bolt on the crank arm. I also noticed a small spacer that was preventing the crank arm from seating fully. I removed it and retorqued to spec. Let’s see how it goes.
@e*thirteen Components any thoughts?

Moderator edit :

Link to e*thirteen Components post with links to the manual :

I have the opposite problem, I can’t get my drive side crank arm off at all, with all screw removed and the end cap, it just wiggles and absolutely refuses to come off and I don’t know why

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles