Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Good luck and have fun. Been on two rides with the bike. First ride, I was surprised at how similar it felt/rode like my 22’ Turbo Levo. Not as strong of a motor but definitely enough power. Second ride, I put on a 29” rear wheel. It did steepen the HTA a bit but I think the rollover capability and speed outweighed that con. I might keep the 29” rear just so there’s more of a difference in ride quality & capability between the Levo and E2.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Nice video. Surprised yours came with the DHR brakes. Awesome! Mine was supposed to come with the DHRs but it came with SLX brakes instead. I had a set of DHRs on my Transition bike so I swapped them over.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
The DH-R's were listed as 2023 spec so I was hoping for those, but expecting it to arrive with Shimano 4 pots. Bonus! The DH-Rs seem to be brilliant as my initial impression anyway.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Talk to me about rear coil spring rate. I slapped my deposit down on a medium E2 which comes with a 350lb spring and being a chocoholic I've asked for it to be changed out to a 400lb spring.

Any of you guys/gals want to divulge your weight and spring weight of choice?
I've put a Sprindex spring on mine - I'm about 80kg kitted up and have settled on running it at 420. Seems to be a good balance of reasonably plush, with just the occasional bottom out.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
When you hit a small jump and the landing is covered in :poop:

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 07.49.15.png

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 07.49.02.png

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
Anyone used a 6 bolt disc on their rear wheel? I want to have a 2nd set of wheels with faster tyres for commuting, I've only got ones with 6 bolt hubs. I've seen a few magnets that bolt onto the disc, but not sure how touchy the speed sensor will be on the ep801 system.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Anyone used a 6 bolt disc on their rear wheel? I want to have a 2nd set of wheels with faster tyres for commuting, I've only got ones with 6 bolt hubs. I've seen a few magnets that bolt onto the disc, but not sure how touchy the speed sensor will be on the ep801 system.
Replying as I too want a definitive answer to this.
Galfer do list this as Shimano compatible

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have a 6 bolt on my rear, both on the 27.5 and 29” rear wheel setup on the E2. Used a Bosch magnet and the Specialized magnet that came on my turbo Levo and both magnets worked perfectly. I actually preferred the specialized magnet because it sat “flush” against the rotor.

Last edited:

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Looking at that Galfer link, the first magnet and second magnet would work. The specialized magnet that I’m using looks similar the second magnet. I would go for the first magnet just in case.

krusty971

Dec 16, 2022
United States
Has anyone else had a problem with the battery falling out? I have an E1, and after a hard-ish landing from a drop the battery took a dive. 100% sure the catch was engaged, I check before riding. Cleaned the battery up and reinstalled. It seems ok, but worrisome. I now have a zip tip around it but it seems pretty ghetto. Wondering if it's a one-off thing, or a common problem? If so, anybody have a good looking solution?

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Has anyone else had a problem with the battery falling out? I have an E1, and after a hard-ish landing from a drop the battery took a dive. 100% sure the catch was engaged, I check before riding. Cleaned the battery up and reinstalled. It seems ok, but worrisome. I now have a zip tip around it but it seems pretty ghetto. Wondering if it's a one-off thing, or a common problem? If so, anybody have a good looking solution?
I read that same issue further back in this thread. First day out I heard a rattle from the battery door. Second day out and ever since, I have used a velcro strap around it and the downtube.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
I always take out the battery to charge it inside my appartment. Only once fell off whilst riding because I didn't hook it back correctly. You have to properly secure it in place making sure the main hook gets attached.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
I’ve heard of others having an issue with the battery falling off. I make sure to put a lot of pressure at the latch area to make sure I hear that click. I will be putting a Velcro strap around the battery area soon.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
I'm sure there was talk of this earlier on this thread. I've not had a problem myself but I remember there was an adjustment of the latch position that sured things up. Might have been another forum, I did a lot of searching before I made my mind up.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
On a different note, I took my E2 on it's first e-uplift/ride day to Rogate yesterday. I've been there a couple of times before on my Nomad, I was keen to see what the E2 made of it.

Sheesh this bike likes to fly! I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable jumping before, cleaned a few lines I hadn't managed on the Nomad too. Stuck to Main Line and Split Richard, with a mixture of different top sections, for those who know the place. We did 18 miles in about 4 hours, mostly in middle-ish on the motor. Finished very happy but knackered with 4 bars left.

My dropper remote lever snapped off in a silly crash with around 3/4 of the day done, still managed 8 more runs climbing back up in boost with the seat down.

No idea how many runs we did, lost count. If not for sore hands and arms, the oppressive heat, and wanting to end on a good one we'd have done a few more.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
When I took off my battery yesterday, two bolts that was holding the latch inside the frame, must have shaken itself loose from riding and was completely off. Two smaller bolts on the rear of the latch were loose as well. I tightened all four bolts and it seems easier to seat the battery onto the frame. I don’t have to put as much pressure on the battery to lock in.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Right guys, back to spring weights.

I have a 450lb spring on my shock, its not easy to measure sag as the vernier can't fit in past the coils of the spring. But It appears that I am getting approx 3mm - 5mm more sag than the recommended 19mm.

From the few rides that I have done on the bike the 450lb spring feels great and I am not aware of having bottomed it out anywhere, however every single ride I am getting multiple pedal strikes.

Do I go a heavier spring? If so is 475lb enough or better to go 500lb?

Alternatively do I get 150mm crank arms instead of the 160mm?

I had the same issue (pedal strikes) on my non-e trail bike and adding more air in to the shock cured that.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles