Lightcarbon LCE930 Custom Build - DV8

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
@sandnap Hello, thanks for all videos
On your last one, you mention you find dropper post is not good compenant
am I right? and if it is right could you explain why this aliexpress compenant is not good?
thanks a lot
regards
You're welcome I hope the videos are helpful. The dropper post is great but the lever it came with was cheap so I replaced it with the lever below and now it works very well.

1000004010.png

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Great to hear! I'm planning on ordering LCE971 and m560 750w after China Cycle next week. Just waiting and making sure they don't release something I might want 😁

Got my wheels already. Sadly mine has been damaged in shipping :/ I think it's only cosmetic scratches though. Mainly on spokes, small ones on wheels and big dent on the hub where the axle goes in. Don't think it has affect though.

Brakes have arrived, still need rotors for them though. Thinking of getting 203+ 180 Galfer 2.0mm Wave rotors. Don't think I need 203mm on the back so to save a little weight I'm thinking of 180mm.

Most of the tools, dropper post lever have also arrived. Battery is already coming and so is dropper post and powertrain. I went with a Microshift Advent 9-speed. I currently have 11-speed XT and many of those gears are totally useless for me.

Been struggling to choose the colors I want to paint the bike to 😅 can't seem to be able to choose if I want purple or green main color. Pretty sure I want gold+black accents with the main color.

One thing I'm wondering though is that what cable hose I should get for dropper post cable and shifter. There are so many to choose from and I don't have the experience to know between real benefits and marketing speak. Some cable hoses come pre-lubed/oiled and I've heard some bike mechanics recommend those.

Haven't made a final decision on fork+shock yet. I might choose some ok used parts to start with and later upgrade to Lyrik Ultimate with charger 3 + buttercups and Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Edit: My friend bought a new bike and has Zeb 170mm Charger 3 for sale that I could get for a decent price. Just thinking how the LCE971 frame behavior changes as it's recommended for 150/160 fork. Plus Zeb is 300g heavier than lyrik 150mm.

Last edited:

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Have you been happy with the Float x? How about 203mm rotor size? Wish you went with 220 or is 203 plenty enough?

What did you use as a cable housing for shifter cable and dropper cable?

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Have you been happy with the Float x? How about 203mm rotor size? Wish you went with 220 or is 203 plenty enough?

What did you use as a cable housing for shifter cable and dropper cable?
I am happy with the Float X and the brakes so far. At this point I wouldn't change anything! I ordered the cables from Amazon based on the number of reviews and ratings. They seem to be good and haven't cause problems yet. We'll see how everything holds up this season.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
The frame came painted in matte black. I roughed up the paint with some 800 grit sandpaper and wiped it down with alcohol before applying the paint.

The paint and clearcoat I used:
View attachment 135702

Did you use epoxy or 2 component paint?

I received my frame and I'm planning on grinding it and then spraying it with matt black and then matt clear coat.

From what I have seen they say the clear coat can take two weeks to dry up. Is that really the case?

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Did you use epoxy or 2 component paint?

I received my frame and I'm planning on grinding it and then spraying it with matt black and then matt clear coat.

From what I have seen they say the clear coat can take two weeks to dry up. Is that really the case?
Cool! LCE971, right? I really like that frame if I could only justify another bike. 🤔

I used 2k two part matte finish and I am very pleased with it. I used the same stuff with a gloss finish on my other bike and it also turned out nice.

Mine was dry enough to carefully work with after a couple of days. I live in a dry climate so I imagine it might take longer with higher humidity. Mine sat through winter before I put it to the test.

This is the stuff I used:

1000004428.jpg

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Cool! LCE971, right? I really like that frame if I could only justify another bike. 🤔

I used 2k two part matte finish and I am very pleased with it. I used the same stuff with a gloss finish on my other bike and it also turned out nice.

Mine was dry enough to carefully work with after a couple of days. I live in a dry climate so I imagine it might take longer with higher humidity. Mine sat through winter before I put it to the test.

This is the stuff I used:

View attachment 141669

Yeah! I will start a thread later. I'm missing the connector from the battery support system. My frame has some temporary bearing caps instead of the proper ones. They are steel with small rust. I contacted Jim but no response yet. They should all be black aluminium. Other side has proper caps.

20240605_160955.jpg 20240605_160946.jpg

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
The more I ride it, the more I love this thing! Today's ride was the second ride on the same battery charge. On both rides I rode in sport mode. I am impressed with the range I am getting and the power and weight are exactly what I want out of an emtb.

Ride 1:

1000004482.jpg

Ride 2, mileage is the total of the two:
1000004501.jpg

1000004498.jpg

1000004503.png

I will be recording my next ride down a fun new jump flow trail called Apex. 😀👍

Last edited:

stepphiesecret

Jul 12, 2024
lj
The rear shock was a take off from a pivot shuttle with very few hours that I picked up for $180 shipped on pinkbike and the fork was a steal on sale at $340 (new) including shipping from Jenson USA. The rest of the parts are also new and came from aliexpress. Well, other than the rear brake rotor that I had on hand. Total spent on non-frame/motor/battery parts was just over $1300 USD.

Truly a budget build but everything feels solid so far. I am looking forward to dry single track so I can put it to the test. 😁
Sounds like a great budget build! Getting quality parts for a good price is always a win. Can't wait to hear how it performs on the dry single track. Enjoy the ride!

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Sounds like a great budget build! Getting quality parts for a good price is always a win. Can't wait to hear how it performs on the dry single track. Enjoy the ride!
I have several rides on it now and I can say that I love this bike! I am every bit as fast as I am on my analog bike going downhill and twice as fast going up!

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
How have you guys been tightening the motors lockring to 35Nm?

I have been having trouble with it. I explained it in more detail in here.

Edit: I was able to get it fixed. Turns out my torque wrench doesn't work properly counter clockwise even though it is meant for that.

Last edited:

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
@sandnap do you have play in your wheel/hub? 🤔 I have noticed that when turning my front brake disc rubs a little. But only while turning. I think I have a little play maybe in hub bearing that might be causing this. Other than that the wheels have been great!

About the IIIPro brakes, I'm not sure if it's my brake rotors, the calipers, front adapter or what but I needed to add couple shims to get the caliper sit where it's suppose to sit. I think I needed to add 1 shim to bottom screw of the front caliper and 2 shims on top. I mean the way so that the brake pads have proper contact surface in the correct place of the brake rotor. Other than this small "problem" the brakes have been great! Personally I enjoy really grippy front brake so I'm thinking of upgrading the front brake disc to 220mm. 180mm seems to be adequate foe rear brake.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
@sandnap do you have play in your wheel/hub? 🤔 I have noticed that when turning my front brake disc rubs a little. But only while turning. I think I have a little play maybe in hub bearing that might be causing this. Other than that the wheels have been great!

About the IIIPro brakes, I'm not sure if it's my brake rotors, the calipers, front adapter or what but I needed to add couple shims to get the caliper sit where it's suppose to sit. I think I needed to add 1 shim to bottom screw of the front caliper and 2 shims on top. I mean the way so that the brake pads have proper contact surface in the correct place of the brake rotor. Other than this small "problem" the brakes have been great! Personally I enjoy really grippy front brake so I'm thinking of upgrading the front brake disc to 220mm. 180mm seems to be adequate foe rear brake.
I went out and checked for play and I can't detect any. I did have some rotor rub but I was able to clear it up by straightening the rotor which was warped a bit and adjusting the caliper using the paper spacer technique. Nothing unusual though. I had to add spacers on my other bike to prevent the pads from overhanging the rotors but they were spot on on the LCE930.

I have put the wheels and brakes to the test on some rocky downhills and so far I am impressed.

How is your build going? I am looking forward to seeing some pics. 😎

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I went out and checked for play and I can't detect any. I did have some rotor rub but I was able to clear it up by straightening the rotor which was warped a bit and adjusting the caliper using the paper spacer technique. Nothing unusual though. I had to add spacers on my other bike to prevent the pads from overhanging the rotors but they were spot on on the LCE930.

I have put the wheels and brakes to the test on some rocky downhills and so far I am impressed.

How is your build going? I am looking forward to seeing some pics. 😎

Yeah, okey. Thank you for checking! I need to do more investigative work on mine. Since it only does it in turns I fear I have play in mine.

What is paper spacer technique? 🤔

My build has been basically finished for few weeks but I have had to do few tweaks and trouble shooting. Bike feels awesome though!

I'll try to take some proper photos at some point! 😂 still need to properly set cables and wires in the front so they look nice etc.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Took my front wheel off and found these marks on the axle. I'm pretty sure they were not there when I received the fork (used). Not 100% sure though..

This is how deep the axle sits when tightened with the wheel.
IMG-20240804-WA0010.jpeg

Other pictures have better view of the markings on the axle.

20240804_150828.jpg 20240804_150843.jpg 20240804_150853.jpg 20240804_150923.jpg 20240804_150928.jpg 20240804_150931.jpg 20240804_150935.jpg

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Took my front wheel off and found these marks on the axle. I'm pretty sure they were not there when I received the fork (used). Not 100% sure though..

This is how deep the axle sits when tightened with the wheel.

Other pictures have better view of the markings on the axle.
Yeah that doesn't look good. I took mine apart and everything looks good. Is the inside of the hub work on that side too?

Last edited:

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
@sandnap which brake adapter you went with that fit the 220mm rotor? If you have links to the adapter and rotor I would appreciate!

I started with 200mm rotor on the front and ordered an adaptor for it. It didn't fit at all and then I had to go to LBS and buy shimano adaptor and it "somehow" fit with few shims...

Looking to avoid these troubles this time that's why I'm asking since you have the same brake caliper as I do 😅

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
@sandnap which brake adapter you went with that fit the 220mm rotor? If you have links to the adapter and rotor I would appreciate!

I started with 200mm rotor on the front and ordered an adaptor for it. It didn't fit at all and then I had to go to LBS and buy shimano adaptor and it "somehow" fit with few shims...

Looking to avoid these troubles this time that's why I'm asking since you have the same brake caliper as I do 😅
I am using a 203mm rotor on the front and 180mm on the rear. I had the same problem with adapters on both of my bikes and ended up with the Shimano adapters after returning a couple that didn't work. I didn't have to shim at all on my LCE930 but I did have to shim a bit on my other bike and my wife's bike.
1000004719.jpg

I am using Bucklos rotors on the front and rear. So far no issues with the rotors or brakes. I am about 3/4 through my first set of pads.
1000004720.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles