Has your EMTB made you fitter, or kept you as fit, as your regular MTB?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
My heart rate gets to the same level on my Levo SL as it does on my analog bike, I am just going faster (and getting a better breeze). The difference is when my heart rate gets too high I can add some more assistance instead of slowing down.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Seems so slow and hard work on real bike after two years. But ok on Dawes touring bike but seem to take the easy option Ebike most times. Just sold Nicolai used three times in two years , my mate giving it a service headset bearings and shock in terrible condition not been used so not you don't do any maintenance well I didn't.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Seems so slow and hard work on real bike after two years. But ok on Dawes touring bike but seem to take the easy option Ebike most times. Just sold Nicolai used three times in two years , my mate giving it a service headset bearings and shock in terrible condition not been used so not the same maintenance got donewell I didn't.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Not even close. My power and endurance dropped a lot since I rode my Pivot Shuttle a lot last year. I went back to riding my regular bikes way more and the E hardly at all this year. I have built back up so will start adding in E rides again but not as much. Maybe 1 out or 4 rides.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
So I have a year or so of actual data, per the OP's request. And in general, my eMTB rides are about 12-15% less physical effort (based on heart rate and perceived exertion) than my regular MTB rides, and roughly 20% more distance/climbing for the same amount of time. I tend to ride the same trails/terrain. Of course there are outliers for both eMTB and MTB rides - in fact, one of my most physically demanding rides was an eMTB race, and some solo eMTB rides where I've wanted to push it hard are in the same range as my MTB rides or slightly higher. Of course, I also have a couple chill MTB rides were I've kept the exertion level down. But the summary seems to be 20% more output at 12-15% less effort. In terms of impact on fitness, I'd say generally I'd call the eMTB 'neutral' - didn't add to fitness most likely, but didn't hurt it either, since many eMTB rides become "active recovery" days. I ride about 80-120 miles a week, usually a blend of MTB + gravel + eMTB. eMTB has been less frequently lately - about one ride every two weeks.

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
It’s all in how you ride and cycle thru power modes. I can ride trails backwards and forwards at maximum pedal cadence and easily achieve anaerobic states, with Max heart rate fir however long I choose. I will also use low power mode fir climbing, if I want more leg workout. The EMTB allows YOU to control your workout rather than the terrain. As a consequence I’m in betters shape all the way around.

Steamer

Mar 7, 2021
Loyalton Calif.
I have been riding road bikes and mt. Bikes since 1973. i Am now 73 years old and definitely not as fit as I was 10 years ago. With my eMTB that I purchased 4 years ago, I feel that I have gained a more consistent riding regime. I do much longer rides that are more challenging. I still ride the antique bike, but really not as much fun. If I was still competing, I would ride the eMTB for recovery. I really feel that my fitness has improved with my eMTB and I can ride with minimal pain in my knees.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I just turned assistance down a bit and getting used to it maybe reduce even more. Some folk would argue that less strain in le
I have been riding road bikes and mt. Bikes since 1973. i Am now 73 years old and definitely not as fit as I was 10 years ago. With my eMTB that I purchased 4 years ago, I feel that I have gained a more consistent riding regime. I do much longer rides that are more challenging. I still ride the antique bike, but really not as much fun. If I was still competing, I would ride the eMTB for recovery. I really feel that my fitness has improved with my eMTB and I can ride with minimal pain in my knees.
Yes less wear and tear on body especially as we get older and realistically I consider myself to be lucky to still be as active as I am at 65. Could be a bit fitter but could be a lot unfitter. Like using walking poles when hillwalking wouldn't be without them now. Enjoy

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I'm riding more frequently than I did before I got my e-mtb, and I'm riding steeper pitches, and longer rides.
When I was on my (I call it) analog bike I rarely did anything with a serious climb and even ended up walking the gentle climbs.

My weight is down from where I started two years ago, so there is that.

I'm not sure where my ride count and mileage will end up this summer because the smoke from the Dixie fire is making air quality horrible for any kind of outdoor activity.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Definitely helped my fitness, i'm out every opportunity i get, Normally three times a week. You obviously can't compare 3x 30km e bike to analogue rides, but i would not be out three times a week on an analogue bike...
E bikes are are a great incentive to get out and enjoy the mountains, best form of fitness imo.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Definitely helped my fitness, i'm out every opportunity i get, Normally three times a week. You obviously can't compare 3x 30km e bike to analogue rides, but i would not be out three times a week on an analogue bike...
E bikes are are a great incentive to get out and enjoy the mountains, best form of fitness imo.
Definitely puts the fun back in to it for older lads

Archer Yates

Aug 9, 2020
Colorado, USA
Does anyone have actual comparative data of regular MTB rides before and after EMTB purchase / prolonged use?
I follow my heart rate info on my iPhone and my Watch .Riding my eMTB the heart rates are lower but still in the range for heart benefit.I find that I look for longer steeper hills so that is good. I am 79 with arthritis in my knees and my orthopedic doctor say I am doing all the right things with my arthritis is not getting worse. The E-Bike allows me to do more with less pain.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
A bike is a thing assisted or not. It does nothing.
Being fit is about habits.
It is less expensive than a car.
It is fun and practical, i used it to move.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I follow my heart rate info on my iPhone and my Watch .Riding my eMTB the heart rates are lower but still in the range for heart benefit.I find that I look for longer steeper hills so that is good. I am 79 with arthritis in my knees and my orthopedic doctor say I am doing all the right things with my arthritis is not getting worse. The E-Bike allows me to do more with less pain.
Can cannie tho min yil nae tik a hard fa.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My bikes are way more expensive than my car. In both value and yearly running costs

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Anyone who thinks you can't ride tech trails on an emtb is....ummm...friggin cookoo. Of course you can ride technical stuff on an ebike. It's done everyday on planet earth. Just as a comparison...Next time your around motorcycle trials rider, let him know tecky is just WAY too hard on anything over 23 lbs. As he scales a 90 degree wall and lands on a stump. Yup...can't be done. Too tecky.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I think a lot of 'Net conflicts and disagreements derive from the relative imprecision with which the English language could be wielded. I don't think there would've been much of a response had the author of the post in question (see? Wielding deliberate ambiguity for no good reason. :p) had simply made clear that his personal approach was to not use the eMTB for the Flume Trail (which as many of you surmised correctly, is not all that technical; some parts of it are rather flow-trail-like) because he found that difficult.

Some of you guys read the personal qualifier as something implied (then proceeded to play mean girls)... some others chose to read it as a generalized claim that needed rebuttal.

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Why are the Mean Girls picking on the old guy?
I wasnt picking on anyone ..merely asking a question as to why ?
If he has the ability to ride that trail on an mtb then it shouldnt be any harder on an ebike ..
I am however at a loss as to to where you've picked up on his age ..I dont see it mentioned anywhere ...so put your lacy knickers back in their box before getting them in a twist ...sweetie .?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I got the Ebikes in order to keep up with my most regular riding buddy who was much fitter than me. I got an EMTB and an Egravel/road lite for the same reason. My fitness has gone down as a result, but I enjoy riding more. On the other hand my buddy's fitness has gone right up as he works much harder to try and keep up. He refuses to even try my Ebikes. Some irony.
I have noticed if I ride with another friend on EMTB I do inevitably get much more of a workout.
Overall I agree with others that fitness has decreased but enjoyment has increased.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Def not as fit yet I go out a lot more .....dusted the cobwebs off my YT Capra the other day ...got down the road and had to stop as I thought the brakes were rubbing ...couldn’t believe it to be honest ...Still love me ebike but it’s def cost me in fitness and in me pocket ...shame really by there you go

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Def not as fit yet I go out a lot more .....dusted the cobwebs off my YT Capra the other day ...got down the road and had to stop as I thought the brakes were rubbing ...couldn’t believe it to be honest ...Still love me ebike but it’s def cost me in fitness and in me pocket ...shame really by there you go
I spent a shedload of money on my T130 rs ( complete new drivetrain) before gifting it to my son and rode it along the road to make sure all was ok ..It felt like I was riding through glue and that was going down ..nearly had a seizure coming back up !
Im not missing the old girl at all..?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles