E02000 error code

Slow Goat

Aug 4, 2021
USA
More than few of my riding buddies got Rises and it feels that we are a good testing ground for Orbea. Subset of us had broken spokes, falling pedals, cracked chain stays, and almost any other issue mentioned on this forum. The latest issue two bikes suffered from is E02000 (Communication error detected between battery and drive unit) that dealer determined was caused by connector on cable between motor and battery getting loose. Did anybody else have E02000 and what was diagnosis/fix?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Slow Goat,

I recently had an E02000 error code, which occurred after I changed the dropper post on my Rise. I was able to quickly fix the error code. I've attached an explanation of the error code, likely cause of the error and the fix in case others come across this thread and are encountering the same error code.

As you stated, Shimano identifies error code "E02000" as a "Communication error detected between battery and drive unit."

In easier to understand terms, Error Code "E02000" simply means a wire on the bike has become disconnected. It does not necessarily mean a connection at the battery. It can be a connection somewhere else on the bike. Below is the Rise wiring diagram.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 17.29.33.jpg

As you can see in the diagram, there are numerous wire connection points. Most wire connection points on the bike are protected and not easily disconnected. However, there is one wired connection point inside the headtube that can easily become disconnected by accident during a fork install, brake hose change, dropper cable change, Shimano display installation, tugging on the black box wire, etc.

To understand the error code better, it's helpful to know that Orbea uses two types of Shimano wires on the 2021 Rise. The wires are the EW-SD50 and EW-SD300 wires. These two wires have different wire connections and are not directly compatible with each other. To connect the two wires together, an "EW-AD305" adapter must be used.

Looking at the wiring diagram below, you will see that a EW-SD300 wire runs from the motor and travels up the downtube to the headtube. At the headtube/downtube junction, the EW-SD300 wire connects to a EW-SD305 adapter. Your Rise will come with either a Shimano display or a EW-EN100 black box. An EW-SD50 wire runs from either the Shimano display or black box, enters the headtube via the small port on the headtube and plugs into the EW-SD305 adapter.

The EW-SD50 wire coming from the display or black box can easily become disconnected from the adapter located inside the headtube and will trigger a E02000 error code.

Examples of how this might occur would be if you have the EW-SD50 wire secured to tightly to your brake cable/shift cable and you turn the handlebar too far over and cause the EW-SD50 wire to pull out of the adapter. Another example would be during a fork change and the steerer tube hits the EW-SD50 wire at the adapter and causes it to unplug. In my case, I swapped out my Orbea dropper post for a OneUp dropper. I was pulling my old Orbea seat post out of the frame to disconnect the cable and install the new dropper. Somehow, my dropper cable housing caused the EW-SD50 cable to become unplugged from the EW-SD305 adapter.

If you find your bike is loosing connection and the black box or display is not powering up, first check the wire connections where they plug into the black box or display. If this does not fix the problem, you will need to drop you fork from the frame and check the EW-SD50 wire connection where it plugs into the EW-SD305 adapter. Note that Orbea protects the EW-SD300 wire and EW-SD305 adapter by wrapping the bundle in foam padding. The foam bundle is located at the headtube/downtube junction opening. If this does not fix the problem, you will need to drop the motor and check the wire connections at the battery and motor. Send me a message and I can give you detailed instructions on how to drop the motor in order to check wire connections.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 17.31.13.jpg

Slow Goat

Aug 4, 2021
USA
Slow Goat,

I recently had an E02000 error code, which occurred after I changed the dropper post on my Rise. I was able to quickly fix the error code. I've attached an explanation of the error code, likely cause of the error and the fix in case others come across this thread and are encountering the same error code.

As you stated, Shimano identifies error code "E02000" as a "Communication error detected between battery and drive unit."

In easier to understand terms, Error Code "E02000" simply means a wire on the bike has become disconnected. It does not necessarily mean a connection at the battery. It can be a connection somewhere else on the bike. Below is the Rise wiring diagram.

View attachment 77830

As you can see in the diagram, there are numerous wire connection points. Most wire connection points on the bike are protected and not easily disconnected. However, there is one wired connection point inside the headtube that can easily become disconnected by accident during a fork install, brake hose change, dropper cable change, Shimano display installation, tugging on the black box wire, etc.

To understand the error code better, it's helpful to know that Orbea uses two types of Shimano wires on the 2021 Rise. The wires are the EW-SD50 and EW-SD300 wires. These two wires have different wire connections and are not directly compatible with each other. To connect the two wires together, an "EW-AD305" adapter must be used.

Looking at the wiring diagram below, you will see that a EW-SD300 wire runs from the motor and travels up the downtube to the headtube. At the headtube/downtube junction, the EW-SD300 wire connects to a EW-SD305 adapter. Your Rise will come with either a Shimano display or a EW-EN100 black box. An EW-SD50 wire runs from either the Shimano display or black box, enters the headtube via the small port on the headtube and plugs into the EW-SD305 adapter.

The EW-SD50 wire coming from the display or black box can easily become disconnected from the adapter located inside the headtube and will trigger a E02000 error code.

Examples of how this might occur would be if you have the EW-SD50 wire secured to tightly to your brake cable/shift cable and you turn the handlebar too far over and cause the EW-SD50 wire to pull out of the adapter. Another example would be during a fork change and the steerer tube hits the EW-SD50 wire at the adapter and causes it to unplug. In my case, I swapped out my Orbea dropper post for a OneUp dropper. I was pulling my old Orbea seat post out of the frame to disconnect the cable and install the new dropper. Somehow, my dropper cable housing caused the EW-SD50 cable to become unplugged from the EW-SD305 adapter.

If you find your bike is loosing connection and the black box or display is not powering up, first check the wire connections where they plug into the black box or display. If this does not fix the problem, you will need to drop you fork from the frame and check the EW-SD50 wire connection where it plugs into the EW-SD305 adapter. Note that Orbea protects the EW-SD300 wire and EW-SD305 adapter by wrapping the bundle in foam padding. The foam bundle is located at the headtube/downtube junction opening. If this does not fix the problem, you will need to drop the motor and check the wire connections at the battery and motor. Send me a message and I can give you detailed instructions on how to drop the motor in order to check wire connections.

View attachment 77832
Thank you for your detailed response!

markmilo

Aug 6, 2021
Burwood NSW
Slow Goat,

View attachment 77830

View attachment 77832
Hi. I have also had the E02000 error. According to the error logs it occured in October (3 times) but I have ridden the bike a few times since then and all appears well. My question is there any way to clear the spanner icon on the SC-E5003 display?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Markmilo,

I am not familiar with the SC-E5003 computer display, nor do I have personal experience with the wrench icon or how to go about clearing it from your display.

I did do an online search in regards to a Spanner/Wrench icon being displayed. The internet search results indicate either your bike requires maintenance, i.e. it's reached a certain amount of miles and needs to be serviced, or it has a technical issue which requires a dealer to look at the bike. eBike internet forums do indicate only a dealer can clear the icon.

markmilo

Aug 6, 2021
Burwood NSW
Thanks for the reply. The error probably resulted in me accidently disconnecting something during the bike service. Unfortunately it does appear the only way to clear the Spanner/wrench icon is to visit the dealer.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Mark, I was doing an update on my SC-E7000 display and walked away from my phone while the update was going on. My phone went to sleep mid update. It totally bricked the display and my bike wouldn't work.

Shimano offers no direct way for a rider to connect a computer to the display and update, delete, or reinstall software. Shimano's system is for shit, they should be ashamed.

To do it yourself, Shimano kindly offers the Shimano SM-PCE02 diagnostic box for around $265. The diagnostic box allows the user to connect the Shimano display or component directly to a personal computer to fix or update a display. Most people don't have that kind of money for a device they'll rarely use. However, a dealer does, thus the "Take if to a Dealer" option.

Be safe,
Rod

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles