• Ergon grips
  • TAG handlebar 40mm rise
  • HT pedals

stilus-upgrade21.jpg

Last edited:

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Any recommendations on crank arm length and possibly brand, i keep catching my pedals on boulders?

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
Looking to fit 160mm cranks to my 2020 stilus as I keep clipping stuff. Am a bit bewildered by the myriad of standards on bikes, do I just need isis fit and that will work? Any recommendations on make? (Hope being a tad expensive) Thanks!

KevORourke

Dec 2, 2020
Oldham
Looking to fit 160mm cranks to my 2020 stilus as I keep clipping stuff. Am a bit bewildered by the myriad of standards on bikes, do I just need isis fit and that will work? Any recommendations on make? (Hope being a tad expensive) Thanks!
155mm here, work well for me

Miranda Unisex's E Bike Fit Alloy Cranks Delta Style 155mm Black

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Delta come in 160 an all if you can find

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I've finished the suspension upgrade. The Stilus is now running a 160mm Lyrik in all but name up front. I've only had a quick spin round the block, yet it's enough to tell me that the work was totes worth it. The Yari was a good fork before but increasingly, I could feel excess vibration through my wrists on small bumps. Now that has all but gone. There is some dialling in to do with the settings but overall I'm happy to have in effect, picked up a Lyrik for a touch over £270.

I've posted a bit of video below that shows the fork pre upgrade & the small bump weakness should be obvious.

QwE1JEnt.jpg large.jpg
E0RMZtJ0.jpg large.jpg

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Pop riveted a bum-saver rear mud flap (couple of quid from Decathlon) to the front mudhugger. Hanging in nicely, should help keep the crud off me and the battery cover.

View attachment 63469
You would be better suited with something like this ( pic ). Had it for years on all my bikes so can't even remember what it's called or where I got it but search gut fender or downtube fender should get you what's needed
IMG_20210607_083302.jpg

Last edited:

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
This is on another Stilus thread but thought it worth a re-run.
I did this to go with my XL front crud catcher. All I did was modify a £3 mudguard from Halfords and it has served me well. I uswd two muckynutz guards for the rear as I like to keep the bike looking still like an mtb without those huge long ones (I can put up with a wet arse but not a stuffed rear suspension linkage!
Seriously though, when fitted with reusable zip ties, it saves stone hits and water/muck/pine needle ingress into to the lower motor cover and bash guard. I have used all winter and also in hot weather with no effect on overheating or problems elsewhere. It's up to me when I put it on, ride and weather/terrain dependant.
It should be fittable for most bike configurations with a little fettling.

IMG_20201129_143425.jpg

IMG_20201129_143717.jpg

IMG_20201129_143724.jpg

IMG_20201129_143711.jpg

IMG_20201129_110603.jpg

IMG_20201129_110610.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I've posted a bit of video below that shows the fork pre upgrade & the small bump weakness should be obvious.

Interesting. Are you saying the Yari suffers from stiction stemming from the stock damper cartridge? So nothing to do with the seals/wipers/air can?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Unpacking that a bit...All forks have stiction, it's in the nature of the upside down design when compared to motorbike forks for example. Also, there's no air can, it's a fork, not a shock. I am saying the motion control damper is a sealed unit that by design mixes oil & air. The charge damper keeps the air & oil apart, so as you ride rough terrain, the mixing is avoided & you don't end up with loss of small bump sensitivity & visible skipping over rocks & stones.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Unpacking that a bit...All forks have stiction, it's in the nature of the upside down design when compared to motorbike forks for example. Also, there's no air can, it's a fork, not a shock. I am saying the motion control damper is a sealed unit that by design mixes oil & air. The charge damper keeps the air & oil apart, so as you ride rough terrain, the mixing is avoided & you don't end up with loss of small bump sensitivity & visible skipping over rocks & stones.

Sorry, you've lost me a bit there. You mentioned better small bump compliance with the upgrade, I was just trying to find out if you feel that this was as a result of reduced stiction or better controlled damping. I have what I feel is excessive stiction in my Yari's and they have been fully serviced (and are also new). I am aware that there will always be stiction to a degree but I wondered if some of it was being generated by the Motion Control system and whether going to the Charger would help. I do need or want improved damping per se, just reduced stiction.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The upgrade will give you better small bump damping & the fork will feel stuck to the floor much more than one with motion control. It is the point of doing it. You will get less stiction from the design of the damper but not enough to justify the cost in & of itself.

Because the forks are essentially upside down, the oil that lubes the seals & bushings sinks to the bottom, the bushes dry out & you get stiction as a result. The best thing to reduce stiction is to keep your fork serviced & clean & lube your stanchions regularly I.e. every ride. These things come down to preference. personally, I found the skippy nature of the MC damper in the Yari far more irritating than its stiction. YMMV, that's life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles