Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
Nope software update needed, i think you have the us software on yours....does give you a 20mph level of assist instead of 15 though?...if your not actually going off rd this could be useful
I don't know as decathlon lost my bar clamp bolts. I will be raiding the bolts at work today so I can get out tonight.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Your gonna need to get that updated. Sport is ‘OK’ but EMTB is far superior for trail riding.

Not the end of the world, but it’s just a fixed power output rather than torque sensing. Used more on the road/commuters..

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
My battery fell out the frame today as I was riding. Just after I did a couple of small drops ??

Anyone else had any issues with the battery self ejecting when riding?!

Maybe I didn’t fully secure it back in after I removed it.
Not had any battery ejection issues yet, done 550 miles so far all ok..

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Tested battery to empty on Saturday about 17 miles and 5200 ft of climbing and towing a non e bike up lower slopes of hellvelyn twice, it was a hard push to reach the summit with no battery, but the rest of ride was manageable from summit back to Glenridding. battery would probably have completed full loop without the Towing.
1600079853534.png

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Anyone else getting iffy range? This burnt three bars this morning in emtb which seems on the low side?

View attachment 40212

Checked mine this morning after a full charge, my range usually starts off around these figures:

Eco: 51miles
Tour: 38miles
eMTB: 32miles
Turbo: 24miles

They’re only estimates as it goes off how hard you were pedalling at the end of your last ride.

I’d say yours does look a bit low for 12 miles in eMTB but because eMTB is dynamic I think it depends how hard you were pushing. If I put mine in Turbo when going up a steep incline the range immediately drops quite significantly but then slowly starts to go back up a bit again when you’re back on the flat and back into Eco.

I generally get about 30 miles out of mine with a mix of all modes and about 2,000ft elevation but again it depends how much effort you’re putting in.

I think people have got about 60miles out of theirs using a mixture of Eco and Tour but mainly Eco. I also saw someone said they got 30miles out of theirs mainly in Turbo but I think that’s unlikely.

I’ve done 12 miles so far today with about 1,000ft elevation mainly in Eco with a bit of eMTB/Turbo thrown in for good measure and my current estimates range is:

Eco: 30miles
Tour: 19miles
eMTB: 16miles
Turbo: 14miles

The battery indicator is still on 4 bars.

I’m expecting them to go back up a bit because I’ve just been up a couple of hills in eMTB mode.

I’ve started to take the range with a pinch of salt and using the bars as more of an indicator.

I’d say yours does look low but if you were pushing hard in eMTB it would be possible. If you still had two bars left then you could probably get another 10 miles out of it which would make the 22 miles in Turbo mode about right.

I was concerned that I wasn’t getting as much range as some people but I’ve just put it down to terrain and effort now.

Got my eyes peeled for a second battery too for some longer rides.

Last edited:

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Checked mine this morning after a full charge, my range usually starts off around these figures:

Eco: 51miles
Tour: 38miles
eMTB: 32miles
Turbo: 24miles

They’re only estimates as it goes off how hard you were pedalling at the end of your last ride.

I’d say yours does look a bit low for 12 miles in eMTB but because eMTB is dynamic I think it depends how hard you were pushing. If I put mine in Turbo when going up a steep incline the range immediately drops quite significantly but then slowly starts to go back up a bit again when you’re back on the flat and back into Eco.

I generally get about 30 miles out of mine with a mix of all modes and about 2,000ft elevation but again it depends how much effort you’re putting in.

I think people have got about 60miles out of theirs using a mixture of Eco and Tour but mainly Eco. I also saw someone said they got 30miles out of theirs mainly in Turbo but I think that’s unlikely.

I’ve done 12 miles so far today with about 1,000ft elevation mainly in Eco with a bit of eMTB/Turbo thrown in for good measure and my current estimates range is:

Eco: 30miles
Tour: 19miles
eMTB: 16miles
Turbo: 14miles

The battery indicator is still on 4 bars.

I’m expecting them to go back up a bit because I’ve just been up a couple of hills in eMTB mode.

I’ve started to take the range with a pinch of salt and using the bars as more of an indicator.

I’d say yours does look low but if you were pushing hard in eMTB it would be possible. If you still had two bars left then you could probably get another 10 miles out of it which would make the 22 miles in Turbo mode about right.

I was concerned that I wasn’t getting as much range as some people but I’ve just put it down to terrain and effort now.

Got my eyes peeled for a second battery too for some longer rides.
Has any one tried bolting a range extender battery on a Stilus yet??Is it just a case of fixing an extra battery to water mounting bolts and plugging in through charging port. Or is that far to simple and we need to have pages and pages of electrical language to explain why it will not work..LOL

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Has any one tried bolting a range extender battery on a Stilus yet??Is it just a case of fixing an extra battery to water mounting bolts and plugging in through charging port. Or is that far to simple and we need to have pages and pages of electrical language to explain why it will not work..LOL
I’m not sure the Bosch range extender will fit because of the rear shock, it’s hard to tell from the picture, would be a very tight squeeze and some extra weight. The bottle cage is also mounted quite high on the Stilus which might cause a problem for other brand range extenders.

edit: In fact looking again (albeit with a few beers and some sunshine inside me ?) I think it would fit. Would be a bit daft if it didn’t and it’s got the Bosch motor. I’ll have to look for a price and the weight. I didn’t even think about a range extender so thanks for the heads up. ??

866EF9B0-4750-4D6F-9452-11D074BFF5D6.jpeg

2C30C099-835A-43B8-90B2-6B73E99316FE.jpeg

F6AA7B63-60B7-4AA2-858A-BBCE40B61A13.jpeg

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Recharged & did 15 with 1100 in emtb & used two bars tonight, so I reckon unscientifically yesterday's ride started off with just over three bars & I'm flapping over nothing much. Nice evening though.

Eh5T9HKXsAI4MFo.jpg

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Recharged & did 15 with 1100 in emtb & used two bars tonight, so I reckon unscientifically yesterday's ride started off with just over three bars & I'm flapping over nothing much. Nice evening though.

View attachment 40340
That’s pretty much the conclusion I came to when I thought I didn’t have as much range as everyone else. It’s unnerving when it starts dropping and you’re pretty far from home, then you start heading home and the range slowly starts climbing again and you get home and there’s still 10 miles in the tank. I need to run in completely flat sometime and really see how far it will go.

Last edited:

Zecalama

Sep 14, 2020
Aveiro, Portugal
Hello, just got mine last week, the bike is awesome overall, but I feel the brakes and (specially) suspension are weak....the rear shock looks too hard/stiff, barely could move it when I get it, took out some air, but it`s only a bit better.
Front suspension, looks harsh, shouldn`t it be like butter?
Anyone has some tips to improve this aspects?
This is the first good bicycle that I have (never had a more than 100€ bike), and of course this is my first e-bike, thought for this money could work a bit better in these aspects.
Cheers.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Hello, just got mine last week, the bike is awesome overall, but I feel the brakes and (specially) suspension are weak....the rear shock looks too hard/stiff, barely could move it when I get it, took out some air, but it`s only a bit better.
Front suspension, looks harsh, shouldn`t it be like butter?
Anyone has some tips to improve this aspects?
This is the first good bicycle that I have (never had a more than 100€ bike), and of course this is my first e-bike, thought for this money could work a bit better in these aspects.
Cheers.
Front forks will bed in over time, try leaving bike upside down for a while lubricant should get to top fork bushes(these bushes were dry on my bike i had them serviced at LBS and have got better, they are never going to be a lyric but they are rigid and soak up the big hits) , rear suspension is fine IMO. Brakes will probably need bleeding correctly mine did .

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
I’m not sure the Bosch range extender will fit because of the rear shock, it’s hard to tell from the picture, would be a very tight squeeze and some extra weight. The bottle cage is also mounted quite high on the Stilus which might cause a problem for other brand range extenders.

edit: In fact looking again (albeit with a few beers and some sunshine inside me ?) I think it would fit. Would be a bit daft if it didn’t and it’s got the Bosch motor. I’ll have to look for a price and the weight. I didn’t even think about a range extender so thanks for the heads up. ??

View attachment 40337

View attachment 40338

View attachment 40339
That e Booz should fit in easily enough..They go up 372 wh but currently out of stock..

Zecalama

Sep 14, 2020
Aveiro, Portugal
Front forks will bed in over time, try leaving bike upside down for a while lubricant should get to top fork bushes(these bushes were dry on my bike i had them serviced at LBS and have got better, they are never going to be a lyric but they are rigid and soak up the big hits) , rear suspension is fine IMO. Brakes will probably need bleeding correctly mine did .
Thanks a lot for the tips, will try them.
BTW, do you know about the update on the Bosch motor? How should I do it? The shop (Decathlon) can do it?

boltonironman

Aug 31, 2020
Bolton
Managed to bag my unicorn last night! ?

It is from the 31st Aug batch that I was whining about having my order disappear over the last week or so! I got it on the cyclescheme too no less (although not easy and potentially may be being phased out).

In the end it took some persistence on the messenger chat with Decathlon and eventually the order was delivered to store on the same day it'd had been estimated as on first order. All those sleepless nights for nothing!

Tip for future Stilus orderers: don't ask for a refund if your order disappears or if they offer one, just say you want to prioritised as soon the next available stock comes in. As soon as you see any stock in Europe remind them that yours is still an outstanding order and you had a MTB trip planned etc
?

Eat.
Sleep.
Message Decathlon.
Repeat.

..... keep gently pecking them til you get your unicorn ?

119567717_10164258674390523_275823060316264554_n.jpg

3c37465e-2115-4dea-be01-7b914232085b.jpg

b88987df-3934-4f33-8d2c-9b7f9c480eb0.jpg

Liamjay

Sep 8, 2020
Midlands
I’ve got mine, but it came with scratches :-(

I’ve messaged decathlon and they have told me to return it, or they have offered a whopping £20 gift card as a sorry.

Obviously I don’t want to return it, but I’m a bit gutted :-(

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
I headed to peaslake yesterday. All the gear no idea. Immense fun. Only fall was going up hill. Met some guys there who had a feel of my tyres. Said they were way too hard, and I should drop to around 25psi.
Does that sound right?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I headed to peaslake yesterday. All the gear no idea. Immense fun. Only fall was going up hill. Met some guys there who had a feel of my tyres. Said they were way too hard, and I should drop to around 25psi.
Does that sound right?

Tyre pressure isn’t a personal thing. At the moment with the ground the way it is 25-30 is not going to be bad thing.

However, if you are still running those smart Sams I’d change them out first chance you get..! If you don’t want to be knee down fixing punctures..

Enjoy!

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Stuck Ewilds on mine last week. Two rides, two punctures. Going tubeless as soon as the postman gets here.

Would say though tyre pressure is a big topic. It comes down to what kind of riding you do, how much you weigh, whether you prioritise grip or rolling resistance. It pays to think about these things & experiment until you get the balance that suits. I habitually ride the south downs which are flinty chalk trials. In summer, I pump up for puncture resistance, when it gets cold & wet, chalk becomes treacherous & I drop 10 psi for grip & take the roll penalty.

Last edited:

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
Stuck Ewilds on mine last week. Two rides, two punctures. Going tubeless as soon as the postman gets here.

Would say though tyre pressure is a big topic. It comes down to what kind of riding you do, how much you weigh, whether you prioritise grip or rolling resistance. It pays to think about these things & experiment until you get the balance that suits. I habitually ride the south downs which are flinty chalk trials. In summer, I pump up for puncture resistance, when it gets cold & wet, chalk becomes treacherous & I drop 10 psi for grip & take the roll penalty.
your point on experimenting makes a lot of sense.
other than energy required i guess, what issues does rolling resistance cause? (new to this.)

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Pump up the tyres & you get less contact area & deformation, so the tyre rolls faster but grips less. Drop the psi & conversely it grips more at the cost of more effort to move forwards,

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Does that sound right?
I've found if you want decent grip, you will need to lower the pressures. I've ridden MTB's all my life but never run tyre pressures as low as I do on the Stilus. I'm in the range of 16-20PSI depending on what I'm riding to give you a ballpark comparison and I'm 75kg's. I'm running Tubeless and have eWild tyres now although I also ran the stock Smart Sams at similar pressures.

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
I've found if you want decent grip, you will need to lower the pressures. I've ridden MTB's all my life but never run tyre pressures as low as I do on the Stilus. I'm in the range of 16-20PSI depending on what I'm riding to give you a ballpark comparison and I'm 75kg's. I'm running Tubeless and have eWild tyres now although I also ran the stock Smart Sams at similar pressures.
As a general rule then, if a rider was a bit heavier than that, say 85kg plus gear, would you run higher or lower pressure? Asking for a friend.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Rockshox forks & shocks all adjust the same way. You can adjust rebound via the rebound knob, sag via air pressure & compression through the controls on the fork/shock. Search Youtube for instructional videos, there are any number to choose from.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Ok peeps I was going to whip me chain off for a good clean today...question is should there be a quick link ..split link...or do I need to split the chain my self.....also when buying a quick link what should I be getting or looking for..?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles