Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
You could go for a DHR/DHF or DHR/DHR combination. I think Rob likes this setup. Magic Mary's will give you lots of grip and solidity. Eddy Currents also. Personally I like the E-wilds. Lots of grip and predictability in all conditions. Lower rolling resistance than the others mentioned and slightly quieter. Slightly less mud plugging ability with the smaller centre knobs, but they've only let me down once in thick mud. @PhilBaker has just put a pair of 2.6 on a Stilus, so can probably give you some Stilus related feed back. They also seem fairly good on longevity and not disintegrating with abuse ...

View attachment 36643

The 2.6 e-Wilds arrived this weekend and are now on the Stilus, although I’ve only had a short ride so far. I’ll be able to give a better review/comparison later in the week.

Initial thoughts:
Pro’s:
  • rubber seems stickier than stock Smart Sams with a much more aggressive trend pattern
  • Incredibly quiet given the more aggressive tread pattern. Really impressed in that regard
  • Seems to roll well so far
  • Easy enough to inflate tubeless without a high pressure hose
Cons:
  • Initially hard to physically get the tyre over the edges of the rim to seat. Top Tip for newbies, ensure you squeeze the tyre so it sits in the middle part of the rim where the circumference is at its smallest, then you can get the final part of the tyre bead over the edge of the rim
  • Now this one is interesting and totally unexpected. The rolling circumference of the e-wild is noticeably smaller than the Smart Sam stock tyre. With one wheel running the new tyre and one still on the old, the diameter of the wheel/tyre looked around a couple of centimetres smaller on the e-wild! I’ve never seen this mentioned anywhere before in any of the reviews. Net net the wheel circumference is definitely smaller with the e-wild tyre setup.
  • Related to the above no doubt. On the Smart Sams the engine was slowing its power delivery after 15.5mph and stopping completely at 17mph. With the e-Wilds the motor stops completely at 16mph.
  • Clearly the larger the circumference, the better it rolls hence people’s love of 29’ers so you lose a chunk of this on the e-wilds from my initial view

The reason I brought new tyres is when riding over in Epping Forest where the terrain can be loose, loose over hard pack or muddy I was consistently lacking cornering grip compared to the guys I’m riding with on Magic Mary’s.

I’ll give it a go and see how they ride but maybe as winter comes, will switch the front to a Magic Mary which I believe has the same circumference as the Smart Sam and in effect create a “Baby Mullet” setup (must patent that term ?). This setup of Magic Mary front and e-Wild rear has broken numerous enduro time trial records as reported on this forum earlier so is maybe the way to go.

Once I get back over there I’ll be able to compare the grip of the new e-wilds over the stock Smart Sams...

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
The 2.6 e-Wilds arrived this weekend and are now on the Stilus, although I’ve only had a short ride so far. I’ll be able to give a better review/comparison later in the week.

Initial thoughts:
Pro’s:
  • rubber seems stickier than stock Smart Sams with a much more aggressive trend pattern
  • Incredibly quiet given the more aggressive tread pattern. Really impressed in that regard
Cons:
  • Initially hard to physically get the tyre over the edges of the rim to seat. Top Tip for newbies, ensure you squeeze the tyre so it sits in the middle part of the rim where the circumference is at its smallest, then you can get the final part of the tyre bead over the edge of the rim
  • Now this one is interesting and totally unexpected. The rolling circumference of the e-wild is noticeably smaller than the Smart Sam stock tyre. With one wheel running the new tyre and one still on the old, the diameter of the wheel/tyre looked around a couple of centimetres smaller on the e-wild! I’ve never seen this mentioned anywhere before in any of the reviews. Net net the wheel circumference is definitely smaller with the e-wild tyre setup.
  • Related to the above no doubt. On the Smart Sams the engine was slowing its power delivery after 15.5mph and stopping completely at 17mph. With the e-Wilds the motor stops completely at 16mph.
  • Clearly the larger the circumference, the better it rolls hence people’s love of 29’ers so you lose a chunk of this on the e-wilds from my initial view

The reason I brought new tyres is when riding over in Epping Forest where the terrain can be loose, loose over hard pack or muddy I was consistently lacking cornering grip compared to the guys I’m riding with on Magic Mary’s.

I’ll give it a go and see how they ride but maybe as winter comes, will switch the front to a Magic Mary which I believe has the same circumference as the Smart Sam and in effect create a “Baby Mullet” setup (must patent that term ?). This setup of Magic Mary front and e-Wild rear has broken numerous enduro time trial records as reported on this forum earlier so is maybe the way to go.

Once I get back over there I’ll be able to compare the grip of the new e-wilds over the stock Smart Sams...
With the Kiox it is easy to set your own wheel circumference, perhaps another reason to upgrade your display? Yes I know what you are thinking, put a lower value in so the motor cuts out at a higher speed, you are very naughty people!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I’ve changed my mind on non ebike specific skinwall tyres. Can anyone comment on the best all rounder 27.5 2.6 Set up for all sorts of terrain, front and rear For the Stilus. I’m in a very hilly area with lots of trails, rocky tracks, muddy woodland trails, not bothered about skinwall either . Want to go for long rides and feel super stable as have a right foot disability and am a wee bit overweight :/ hoping to lose it in echo mode on the flat though! . Thanks ?
I would put a Maxxis Assegai 2.6 (hardest compound) on the front (ignore all the comments about rolling resistance you would not notice it unless you were told about it) and try the existing tyre on the back then go ride and look at what everyone else in your area is using as any recommendation is terrain specific

Jamm13dodger

Jul 1, 2020
Burwell, UK
With the Kiox it is easy to set your own wheel circumference, perhaps another reason to upgrade your display? Yes I know what you are thinking, put a lower value in so the motor cuts out at a higher speed, you are very naughty people!

Not a bad idea. Does it actually work? Has anyone done it and can report no problems?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I guess it could be that power delivery software has been tweaked in tour mode rather than the increase in torque?
From what I have read the I think the new software takes it from 120% support to 140% support. I could be wrong but in anywise it's the best £20 upgrade out there in my view. Thanks Bosch!

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
I've only tried a Levo Hardtail, I believe that had 90nm of torque on its Brose, will I notice the difference ? 5 nm? or pre update of 15nm difference?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I've only tried a Levo Hardtail, I believe that had 90nm of torque on its Brose, will I notice the difference ? 5 nm? or pre update of 15nm difference?
I'm not experienced to know the characteristics of all the other motors out there but I'm sure there's a least a couple of people on here who are. What Ive seen is that the mode profiles are not always as exact as they could be hence Bosch releasing an update. I dont know of any other manufacturer confident enough to put out an increase in torque, they must not be getting many failures pro rata.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire

Initial thoughts:
Pro’s:
Cons:

I ordered a set of e-wilds yesterday... just hope the bike turns up now. Maybe I’ll be reordering. Who knows! Thanks for the detailed update , defo patent “baby mullet” ??

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
At last an update on the tracking page, it’s been shipped! Hallelujah!

79BC12D6-1BEE-4CB5-B346-090387E0F9DE.jpeg

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I would put a Maxxis Assegai 2.6 (hardest compound) on the front (ignore all the comments about rolling resistance you would not notice it unless you were told about it) and try the existing tyre on the back then go ride and look at what everyone else in your area is using as any recommendation is terrain specific

If you are riding hard in any loose or muddy terrain I agree with Swissrob that you need to swap out the front as a priority.

If your not riding hard I’d suck it and see. I actually like the stock tyres to be fair and they held up ok in most of the XC rides I was doing.

Then I started riding with the Epping Forest guys from this forum and it made me realise how little grip I actually had with the Smart Sams. They would go flat out around a tight bend and my front would wash out (even at low pressures on my tubeless setup).

So it really does depend on your terrain and riding style as already said.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent

Is it possible to change on the Kiox?

Even the Bosch LBS can’t change the wheel circumference anymore with their software (it’s greyed our) to stop people “fudging” the speed limiter...

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Is it possible to change on the Kiox?

Even the Bosch LBS can’t change the wheel circumference anymore with their software (it’s greyed our) to stop people “fudging” the speed limiter...
A menu option is settings>my ebike>wheel circumference > Adjust or reset. It allows you to adjust from 83.99 to 92.59 inches in small incremental steps with preset values. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles