Covid 19 worries !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Headline NEWS :

@Gary seen heading into "Self isolation" with only the bare essentials. ..

gary.jpg

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
quite a sobering article Rob.

my hunch is there are many more cases in the wild than officially counted.

note to self: don't fall off bike, it will be a long and painful wait at A&E, they're busy.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
quite a sobering article Rob.

my hunch is there are many more cases in the wild than officially counted.

note to self: don't fall off bike, it will be a long and painful wait at A&E, they're busy.

Our own government said in the week it was likely between 5000 and 10000. It’s a little low but they will look at the numbers like this article does.

It’s important we all keep calm, wash hands and limit contact. Stay safe.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Oh fuck... sorry man. :eek:
the pic I'd posted in my reply mustn't have posted.
Scroll back now I've edited the post to show it.

I deserve a massive slap
(not that unusual TBF)

No offense taken! :ROFLMAO:

I thought it was funny the first time. And if you'd met my missus, you'd have been quaking in yer boots. (She once kicked a Government Minister of Education in the shins for being an arsehole!).

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Have to say amongst all this pandemic pandemonium, with my business looking like its going to go into economic meltdown, my octogenarian parents in lockdown, and my kids school obliviously still pressing ahead with all sorts of unnecessary events, going for a nice ride out in the hills today did wonders.
Can’t hear pandemonium without this coming to mind:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Had MINOR shoulder surgery 8 days ago, rode at day 4, I'm 65 figure I have about 7 rides left before I'm plagued. Every feature I've never had the nerve to ride is now on deck.....and riding naked of course now that embarrassment and discretion serves no good purpose.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nowhere is it detailed how many people are hospitalised which is surely more meaningful than the number tested positive.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Nowhere is it detailed how many people are hospitalised which is surely more meaningful than the number tested positive.

I disagree. Both numbers are meaningful. The Italian experience is that around 10% of positive tests will require hospital admission and around half of those will die. Once the 10% figure exceeds the number of available ventilators and intensive care beds, then it is likely that all the 10% will die. At that stage folks might start taking the social distancing suggestions a little more seriously.

Just to show how serious such things are being taken here in Spain, the Madrileños are under quarantine from today. Therefore they all headed for the beaches yesterday (even those who already had the virus cos, you know, it's much nicer to recuperate in the sunshine). Our local councils have shut the beach bars and restaurants and posted red flags on all the beaches. But it's unseasonably warm this year. And dry. The beach is full.

Quite frankly, as a human race, we're fucked. Not this time, of course: this pandemic will have a death rate of 1-2%, probably, which will not seriously weaken the population, but it does give a good idea of what will happen with the next Black Death. People are basically stupid, with half the population of below average intelligence (do the sums!), you can forgive them. The rest are just plain blind.

(Forgive me: a little angry at what has happened here in the last 12 hours. Including friends of ours who proudly announced on Facebook how they had arrived back from Northern Spain last night and hit the bars to party).

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
So China turned their country upside down to contain a virus likely transferred from animal to human at a wild animal market.

It's not the first time.

wild animal market. repeated cross-species inspections going international.

W. T. A. F.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
So China turned their country upside down to contain a virus likely transferred from animal to human at a wild animal market.

It's not the first time.

wild animal market. repeated cross-species inspections going international.

W. T. A. F.

Cross-species infection happens more often than you think, perhaps? Consider that smallpox vaccinations were a result of stockmen infected by cow pox.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That seems an entirely sensible position to me! :eek:
I agree....to be safe you need to be trained both how to use one and how to maintain it.....and wear the correct safety gear. I use a reciprocating saw and it can cope with surprisingly thick branches much more safely....when something is just too big for that I pay someone else!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I agree....to be safe you need to be trained both how to use one and how to maintain it.....and wear the correct safety gear. I use a reciprocating saw and it can cope with surprisingly thick branches much more safely....when something is just too big for that I pay someone else!
Safer just heading off to IKEA for a flat pack MONKADINKADINK tree-house and UPATEEDOWNATEE treehouse ladder instead (Yes I made up the name, just like they do ;) )

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you detect a sense of humour failure from my corner, we've been informed that we are confined to our homes for the next couple of weeks.

El Gobierno prohíbe a partir del lunes los movimientos en todo el país con excepciones como trabajar o comprar alimentos
It seems Spain is at a rather more advanced stage than here in the UK currently. Yes of course all of the stats have a use but knowing how many need intensive care is the stat that says most about the ability of the health services to cope and that stat is generally missing. I did read one govt statement from I think Thursday that 20 were in intensive care in the UK and the total positive tests at the time was about 800. So far all the deaths in the UK have bern in the highedt risk category..ie older patients with pre existing health problems.
I think we may be entering the phase of some restriction of mass gatherings next week.....but as your comments illustrate if you go for complete lock down you risk many people doing all the wrong things and making matters worse.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And Netflix... I tested the speed of my 100MB/s fibre earlier today and it's dropped to 50MB/s because everyone else has the same idea :eek:

Can't get fibre here (farmland) so mine never reaches 5MB/s
It's plenty for gaming and Netflix, nevermind perusing here ;)

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
Here in Spain state of emergency has been officially declared and we will be put on lockdown on Monday at 8.00 am, for 15 days at least.
I bought a Tacx Flow Smart roller stand to keep me occupied but Enduro E-mtb is way better!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles