commencal 2021

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
I've been looking for the adapter to charge my battery in house for a while also. If you genuinely can get one I'd gladly take one off your hands ???
i ordered this SHIMANO STEPS SM-BTE80 Battery Charger Adapter
which despite the url text is actually the correct EP8 part # SM-BTE80, NOT BTE60 which is E8000 & won't fit EP8.
they are now out of stock.
i can't find anyone online selling these, i presume they don't exist.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Fox color transformation complete. No more halloween orange :cool:. Should be OEM like this imo

View attachment 50028
IMG_9779.JPG

IMG_9783.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Got my second battery. Now I need some people that want to do long ebike rides with me.

I find it hard to find anyone at all that rides ebikes where I am. People actually tend to really hate them here.

Mods so far: rockshox front fender, Granite tube strap, granite stash tool for the stem and granite chain tool and tire plug kit for bar ends... spike bars and lizard skin grips. Speedsleev saddle bag for extra storage and last but not least a fidlock bottle (also maxed out the volume reduction tokens in the fork and shock for my fatass). My goal was to setup this bike to not require a camelback for tools (since the bike weighs a ton anyways, installing bike mounted tools doesn't make much of a weight difference), pretty happy so far.

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

Last edited:

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Not the case in NorCal. There are a few riding areas around here that ebikes are the majority at on any given day. Still plenty of hate though.
You still get the evil eye here in SoCal. In fact ebikes remain "illegal" on most of OC trails. However I see more and more people riding them so lots of outlaws down here. :cool:

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
You still get the evil eye here in SoCal. In fact ebikes remain "illegal" on most of OC trails. However I see more and more people riding them so lots of outlaws down here. :cool:

Yeah, eventually it's gonna get hairy in the coming years. More people are using ebikes in the states and more are riding on trails for non motorized vehicles only. I personally think it is ignorant to put class 1 e bikes in the same position as class 3 but a lot of these guys are acoustic only riders or little ebike experience in fear of their trails getting taken away by what they envision as ruckus ebike riders ruining it for everybody.

There is definitely a lot of misinformation out there I think a lot of people think of ebikes as dirt bikes (while they do share certain characteristics with a dirt bike more than an acoustic bike would, it is still much much much closer to a bicycle then it is to a dirt bike, still talking class 1 here) and I can't imagine class 1 ebikes as being any more destructive to trails and environments than a regular pedal bike, it is really up to the user to be educated on trail etiquette. In reality most people are just riding pedal assist and not throttle controlled sur Ron's. Althought there are outliers riding these bikes on non motorized trails... doing this which furthers the ebike hatred. Even if we could manage to get class 1 allowed on all trails that regular bikes are allowed there is the fact that there would probably be no good way to honor this system minus trusting everyone has an actual class 1 bike that isn't modified or derestricted.

I think a person's particular manners on the trail is more the issue here. I've rode a decent amount of shared use trails now and every type of person can be an asshole if they want to be, that includes hikers, horseback riders, mountain bikers, dirt bike riders and ebikers. People with headphones in both ears not paying attention in my experience are the biggest issue. We are seeing even more of this within recent times having many people only just now discover the wonders of getting outdoors on the trails in the last year.

Long story short we need to keep trying to set a good example for others that use ebikes if want to expand their use to more trails. Like any hobby, cyclists are a passionate group and often react harshly to change. I remember when full suspension became big and then 29rs... You wouldve thought it was the end of bicycling as we know it. But hopefully the future will be bright and friendly for ebikes and alltrail users where we can figure out a way to all get along.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Do you notice the EP8 rattle noise too? Do you know if Shimano has improved the new delivered motors to fix that noise?

Rattle noise is present still. IMHO the noise is very minor and hardly noticeable above the sound of the terrain your rolling over usually. But at the moment Shimano doesn't seem concerned about doing anything about the noise, nor does Bosch. I'm sure it has turned away more than a few people.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Rattle noise is present still. IMHO the noise is very minor and hardly noticeable above the sound of the terrain your rolling over usually. But at the moment Shimano doesn't seem concerned about doing anything about the noise, nor does Bosch. I'm sure it has turned away more than a few people.
Agree. Doesn't bother me in the least.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Biggest ride on the Commencal yet. 2 batteries and had plenty of juice left when swapping each. Excited to do some bigger stuff soon. I really wish the battery could fit in a backpack easier like the shimano external attach one. (That’s 53 km and 2350m for those of you that live in parts of the world that use sensible units of measure).

0376C62E-51CE-4493-88AC-B3E3E8F0D9B3.jpeg

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
Got my second battery. Now I need some people that want to do long ebike rides with me.
Biggest ride on the Commencal yet. 2 batteries and had plenty of juice left when swapping each. Excited to do some bigger stuff soon. I really wish the battery could fit in a backpack easier like the shimano external attach one. (That’s 53 km and 2350m for those of you that live in parts of the world that use sensible units of measure).

View attachment 50996
added you on strava (schwinn stingray) & FB. i'm in SF & up for longer rides! done up to 6300' 100% eco on my single battery & i'm definitely noticing dependency on exact eco settings ie torque multiplier & max torque, & also wary of gradual battery degradation..

curious if you got
BT-E8036 630wh 3.7kg = 8.2 lb
or
BT-E8035-L 504wh 3.15kg = 7.0 lb

3L water weighs 3kg = 6.6 lb...

-Sacha

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ

View attachment 50996
Just curious how do you handle the extra battery, you have a really long backpack or it just pokes out the top? Looking at mine it just seems so long to carry an extra one around.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
added you on strava (schwinn stingray) & FB. i'm in SF & up for longer rides! done up to 6300' 100% eco on my single battery & i'm definitely noticing dependency on exact eco settings ie torque multiplier & max torque, & also wary of gradual battery degradation..

curious if you got
BT-E8036 630wh 3.7kg = 8.2 lb
or
BT-E8035-L 504wh 3.15kg = 7.0 lb

3L water weighs 3kg = 6.6 lb...

-Sacha
I tried messing with it a bit but just went back to stock settings. It seems good enough for when I want to ride with normal bike people in eco/trail, or when I want to smash up fireroads in trail/boost.

And I got the 630wh battery.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Just curious how do you handle the extra battery, you have a really long backpack or it just pokes out the top? Looking at mine it just seems so long to carry an extra one around.
Option A: Leave it at the truck and plan my loop so that I’m back before the first one runs out.

Option B: Wear a big backpack and ride the battery out to a spot that is easy to access later in the day and stash the backpack and battery behind a tree.

Option C: Not sure how I would do it currently if I was doing one large loop. My hydration pack cannot fit the battery, and I don’t even wear that on 98% of rides to begin with. Just today a friend mentioned in Europe he has seen people with backpacks designed specifically to carry long ebike batteries, but not sure if I’d want to invest in something like that.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
How do you guys feel about hand guards on the Meta? I like how they look, but don’t like the extra clutter on the bars and that I cannot rest my bike on the grip as easily.

View attachment 52198

Nice KTM! (I think?) I have a 690 enduro r myself.

I have often debated getting some of the plastic handguards for my pedal bike but never committed. Would come in handy for some trails for sure. I think if you ride with a lot of brush and or cactus it could for sure come in handy.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
How do you guys feel about hand guards on the Meta? I like how they look, but don’t like the extra clutter on the bars and that I cannot rest my bike on the grip as easily.

View attachment 52198
Yes depends on your riding. It would have saved me a scrape to two already. Have never seen anyone riding with them and the trails are super populated down here

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Well, you guys warned me. The big top cap bolt fell of and then the threads inside the crank arm stripped. Going to look for something better to replace the e13 stuff with, but not sure what is compatible or even in stock.

And unfortunately this happened right before a sizable double which I cased super bad and severely bent my handlebars.
1FEAB0E7-1C16-4596-A7BA-7D74FF0D92D0.jpeg

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Sucks. Sorry to hear.

Let me know if you need new replacement bars/stem - changed mine out immediately with Chromag/RF combo I use on all my bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles