Body Protection

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am not sure if I’m offended or to laugh my ass off.

My "chinese fox copy" is adjustable at the waist with two velco overlaps. The chest section zips down the middle above this, so not sure if this would work.

I'm generally a medium but ordered a large and it had presumably been tried successfully by someone much larger who was also expecting twins in a few weeks. The lower chest section was impressively stretched into the beginning of an egg shape. So they'd managed to get it on, but returned it due to discomfort or requiring the next size up for the rest of the body.

Sadly they don't seem to list which models are compatible with either the 6 pack or the Keg.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
A selection of oils and creams so I slide over and past things with no resistance ..

Smiths forefront II, wanted something with a crumple zone after a very bad concussion crash - though safe to say normal helmet saved me from a fractured skull.

Sam hill knee pads, well tested (I'm a moron), comfortable - though for the first few weeks they'd take 2 minutes to "settle". Then you don't know they're on. If I was buying again I'd also consider the g-form pro-x knee shin/pads for the extra bit of shin protection, though I've not re-opened my two month old shin scars since wearing the sam hills.

Following lessons learnt from two more accidents - broken rib (tree) and fractured pelvis (viciously assaulted from behind by angry e-bike after a fast and messy otb) :

No brand chinese armoured shorts as I wasn't sure how I'd get on with comfort/heat/restrictivity and so on .. actually been faultless.

Cheapo Fox copy from amazon - black upper body armour (which seems to sell for between £25 and £200 for the same thing). Matches the chinese shorts, though the armour I had to order a size up. Once adjusted I don't actually know I have it on amazingly, obviously it's warmer than no armour and I ditch it for really long less technical rides, but again bought a cheap one to try to see how I'd get on with wearing armour and it's been faultless. Like the knee pads and the shorts, has been extensively tested as I've slammed myself into various trees, rocks and cartwheeled down hills I shouldn't have been riding. (as mentioned - moron).

I probably should consider some form of wrist brace too ....
Have you got s link to the one you bought please.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I bought it from Amazon.fr, but it's the same as these .. there seem to be several sellers with varying prices. Go one size up on what you would normally get. They do matching shorts, I went normal size on these based on the reviews and that seemed ok ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
As an example the cheap chinese imports that are identical in design to the Fox armour do not have the same quality padding.

@Doomanic can confirm this, he bought both to compare.

I certainly did and I kept the Fox armour even though it was nearly triple the price. The plastic mouldings are identical but the amount and quality of soft armour in the Fox gear was significantly better. I don’t wear it all the time, saving it for big days like BPW.

I always wear knee pads; I have some Nukeproof slip-on pads that are fit and forget for general riding and a set of Raceface D30 knee pads for BPW.
I also have a set of Nukeproof elbow pads which don’t stay in place so I very rarely wear them.

I have a full face lid that I wear most of the time and an open face that I wear on club rides. I’ve just bought a Planet X enduro lid to replace my aged an battered Fox Flux. It was only a Tenner so I’m not expecting much but it’s exactly the same as the O’Neal enduro lid that sells for £60.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I tried the fox and it just didn’t feel comfortable, probably a combination of the belly and the bulky pads. I ended up looking like an American footballer in a crop top and no one wants to see that. I’ve picked up a TLD 7855 which despite going on over your head like a jersey it feels really comfy. I dare say not the same level of protection as the fox or Leatt but it should do the job.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I tried one of those too and if it had fitted properly, rather that just barely, it would have been the one I kept.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'm after some elbow pads. I ordered Dakine Slayer ones but the retailer sent me knee pads which I will have to send back. Is it worth buying the TLD 7855 instead? I hadn't really considered full body armour. I don't want to look a tw*t pootling down blue trails but the TLD one looks quite unobtrusive.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
You'll look even more of a twat with broken ribs... ;)
Very witty but not really a logical or helpful comment. A friend of mine broke a rib whilst descending Snowdon via Crib Goch on foot. Using your logic his injury would have justified wearing body armour. I'm trying to establish, as a total novice, when experienced mountain bikers consider the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. What do they wear and when do they wear it. If you rode the family trail at FOD in full body armour and a full face helmet I don't care what any body says you would look a tw*t. There has to be a balance I'm simply looking for help in finding it.

Al

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Very witty but not really a logical or helpful comment. A friend of mine broke a rib whilst descending Snowdon via Crib Goch on foot. Using your logic his injury would have justified wearing body armour. I'm trying to establish, as a total novice, when experienced mountain bikers consider the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. What do they wear and when do they wear it. If you rode the family trail at FOD in full body armour and a full face helmet I don't care what any body says you would look a tw*t. There has to be a balance I'm simply looking for help in finding it.

Al

I’m slightly curious about armour too, though I’ve never (yet) felt a need for it.

As for Crib Goch, I read that in my mind that you’d said he was descending it on a bike before my eyes caught up lol ?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I’m slightly curious about armour too, though I’ve never (yet) felt a need for it.

As for Crib Goch, I read that in my mind that you’d said he was descending it on a bike before my eyes caught up lol ?
I went back and edited added "on foot" after rereading. :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll look even more of a twat with broken ribs... ;)

I can vouch for this .. tree + me = broken rib .. I looked like a tw4t.. Many would argue I did before hand though, so questionable if this made any difference.

Did I learn .. no, didn't want to look like a wally all armoured up. 2 months later, fractured pelvis. Definitely looked like a tw4t then and several weeks hobbling about as if I'd crapped myself . It finally sank in that armour was a good idea and who cares how you look, not that you can really tell anyway to be honest. I considered the TLD, but the actual armour stops above the waist - so wouldn't have stopped my fractured pelvis. I chose based on not wanting to repeat the same injuries.

As mentioned in another post , we were replacing "all the gear, no idea" with "got no gear, soon be a smear".

No one knows if you're tootling along a blue to get some air or head to the nearest cliff to ride down. Who cares. If you're really worried, ride naked from the waist down and no one will ever notice you have upper body armour on.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Apart from wanting to avoid injury I also do not want to waste money. None of this stuff is cheap so I'm just trying to get some idea of what is acceptable. And I don't mean that in a gaining approval from others sort of way. I've been riding for 4 months and fallen off twice. The first encouraged me to wear knee pads, the second I managed to get clear of the bike. I've watched videos but some of the logic does not make sense. A person will argue that knee pads are essential because your knees are vulnerable and then go on to argue that they don't wear elbow pads because they are not comfortable. My concern is that I'm getting quite fast on blue trails but still struggle and make hard work of reds. Both of my falls were on very benign ground, I just lost concentration.

Who wears shorts with protection for hips etc. that seems like a sensible idea to me but I don't see or hear much about them.

Al

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apart from wanting to avoid injury I also do not want to waste money.

I'm in or was recently in a similar predicament. I've just come up on 7 months and after March's fractured pelvis I decided armour was a necessity. Most of it didn't seem to cover everywhere and most of it was also obscenely expensive, so to get a feel for things I bought the cheap stuff which offered the largest coverage in protection to see what I liked, didn't like, how cumbersome it would feel, how hot, if I'd wear it or shrug it off and decide I'd be ok. I plan to buy something better at some point, but still havent' found anything which ticks all the boxes.

I've been riding for 4 months and fallen off twice.

You're a much better rider than me, though I suspect I might be history's worlds worst mountain biker. Only in the last couple of weeks did I get to a point where I could go for a ride and NOT fall off. (This week has somewhat reversed that trend though). I was generally averaging about twice/KM. My record being twice in 15 meters. I have on occasion wondered if my hobby is mountain biking or worm spotting based on the amount of time I spend on the ground.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I honestly see no downsides to wearing protection. I use Leatt DBX shorts and t shirt. together they provide d30 pad protection for thigh, hips, upper arm shoulder and sternum. No one is a ble to tell I am wearing them under a normal mtb jerset and shorts, they are completely unobtrusive in use and don't add much to body heat. So apart from the cost I see no down sides. This is not "transformers" type armour so no one need know you are wearing it. It is probably not enough protection for true downhill on rocky surfaces although it would certainly help....and it is plenty for normal trail riding blue or red. I also use G Form knee pads and sometimes G Form shin pads but the latter is more protection from bramble etc than impact protection. I wear a mips open face Giro helmet and goggles....and gloves.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Moment of inattention today prompts urgent purchase of some basic protection.
I reckon Fox Pro 2019 knee/shin pads and POC VPD air Arm protection.....
hopefully wont look too OTT on this old fart......could be better than waiting in A&E.

Anybody use these??
Have fun AND keep your eyes on the trail.:confused:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
and If you rode the family trail at FOD in full body armour and a full face helmet I don't care what any body says you would look a tw*t.

Why would I give a shit what anyone thinks about how I look? Got past that in high school.

I wear knee pads, gloves and full face for all riding, including the family trail at fod...some of those family's are vicious. When I'm riding dh, I wear armour with hard plastic and foam backing, has saved me some pain in the past. On the ebike it's OK to wear for regular riding, but I haven't so far. I plan on picking up some foam padding armour, which is a bit more XC friendly, for normal trail riding, and maybe some shorts with hip protection.

Generally I think if your not having a few crashes, your not learning...and part of learning is knowing how to bail. Obviously some crashes are out of your hands and there's been times I've found myself on the ground going wtf, but in a lot of cases you can jump off and run or roll it out.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I wear gloves, knee pads, full face and a pack with a spine board for all rides. Add TLD armour and elbow pads for uplift days. Broke ribs twice doing dead sailors without armour and not planning to go there again.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thanks for all the replies. The consensus seems to be wear the armour. After some research I can see that there is body armour that is essentially invisible. My previous perception of body armour was more in line with what I had seen some hard core down hill riders wearing that made them look like American football players and Star Wars troopers. I don't care what others think but it would be hard to deny that someone wearing that on the FOD family trail would look a little odd to say the least.

Al

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles