Bafang M820 after a Bosch CX Gen 4

Metrix

Aug 6, 2024
Valais, Switzerland
Hi

I am currently riding a Cube Stereo Hybrid with a Bosch CX Gen4 85NM. I ride mostly tours with about 25-30 km with about 1500-2000 m of climbing. These climbing meters are the most part on forest roads. But I also like to do some steeper technical uphill.

Now I would like to build my owm E-MTB and I'm interessted in the Bafang M820 motor. But I don't know if this motor will suite me because it's only rated with 75 Nm. Does anyone of you have experience with the M820 in such conditions?

Thank you

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Hi

I am currently riding a Cube Stereo Hybrid with a Bosch CX Gen4 85NM. I ride mostly tours with about 25-30 km with about 1500-2000 m of climbing. These climbing meters are the most part on forest roads. But I also like to do some steeper technical uphill.

Now I would like to build my owm E-MTB and I'm interessted in the Bafang M820 motor. But I don't know if this motor will suite me because it's only rated with 75 Nm. Does anyone of you have experience with the M820 in such conditions?

Thank you
If you’re riding the Bosch in boost, it’s completely different ! The Bosch is a tractor, low rpm is very powerful, nowhere near the Bafang. But in my opinion I prefer the bafang.
My father in law was pulling my son with his Bosch and a bike taxi, he was still faster than me with the Bafang.

Metrix

Aug 6, 2024
Valais, Switzerland
If you’re riding the Bosch in boost, it’s completely different ! The Bosch is a tractor, low rpm is very powerful, nowhere near the Bafang. But in my opinion I prefer the bafang.
My father in law was pulling my son with his Bosch and a bike taxi, he was still faster than me with the Bafang.
I ride mostly in Tour or in the eMTB mode. Do you think the power is enough for technical uphill or should I go with something like the Bafang M510? What do you prefer with the m820?

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
I ride mostly in Tour or in the eMTB mode. Do you think the power is enough for technical uphill or should I go with something like the Bafang M510? What do you prefer with the m820?
I don't have any issue for technical climbs with the bafang, but you clearly have to pedal more. I like the fact tat you can easily change the speed limit. I set it at 35 on my bike, when I ride Bosch with the 25kph limit, it's frustrating! Also, the bike is much more lighter and nimble, but I compare an alloy Bosch with a carbon Bafang, but still, you will be lighter with the bafang.
I'd say the tour is similar to the Sport+/Boost on the bafang M820.
From what I've understood, the M510 is much closer to the Bosch, and if you like that much power, you can find plenty of DIY with the M510

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
i ride in the same tracks than you. 30km with 2000 D+ and D- = high mountain).

i like the 2 motors. I ride on the same tracks, But not in the same way. I take the M820 when i ride with friends whithout assist and we klimbs +- 1500 D+, mostly climb slowly on DFCI at +- 7km/h. To downhill playfull on single and i will burned phisically.

I take the M510 when i'm with other assisted bikes. With it I can climb on technical single where i will used walk mode with the M820 and i can climb upper and faster.

If you are any physical strong to ofen climb 2000 D+, without using the boost mode (EMTB = boost in hard climb), without emptyed 15Ah battery and sweat. You can appreciate the M820. In opposit if you use ofen the boost mode of the full motor, the M820 may be to short.

To complete my opinion, i'm 64 year old and i'm 100 kg weight

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles