Aggressive Long-Travel Enduro eBike Build: From Concept to Trail-Ready

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Hey Freda, my initial plan was to go with the M820 motor, but I couldn’t get my hands on one. Luckily, someone here offered me an M510 at a great price, so I decided to go with that 😅.

As for the linkages, if you check my earlier posts, you’ll find the full simulation along with the geometry values that I pulled from Linkage X3. In the CAD, I’ve started working on everything I can before scanning the motor, which is why the motor mount and rear triangle anchor points aren’t included yet.

Thanks for your feedback!

Oh sorry, I did see that post earlier and still forgot.. Yes that looks good, very progressive.

Your battery has 21700 cells? I built a ~500Wh and first opted for 21700 cells but then realised using 18650 cells take about the same amount of space and weight. The benefit being 3P configuration for 18650 to 2P for 21700 cells.

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
I have been thinking of building a intergraded battery in the frame as I wrap the batteries I build in carbon anyway, it means you can reduce weight, it’s stronger and the down tube is sleek.
Obviously the down side if you have a battery or bms problem you have to cut the frame, but I have had no problems with a battery yet and if you know what you are doing you can design it in a way to allow for a cut line to remove the bottom side of the down tube and repair the frame.

I think you should consider a range extender, 500Wh (18650 cells) will be enough, there is so much focus on having a big battery, but the weight penalty is not great, but with a 250Wh range extender you can have that extra range for big ride.

Just something to consider

martinvb

Sep 7, 2024
lyon
I have been thinking of building a intergraded battery in the frame as I wrap the batteries I build in carbon anyway, it means you can reduce weight, it’s stronger and the down tube is sleek.
Obviously the down side if you have a battery or bms problem you have to cut the frame, but I have had no problems with a battery yet and if you know what you are doing you can design it in a way to allow for a cut line to remove the bottom side of the down tube and repair the frame.

I think you should consider a range extender, 500Wh (18650 cells) will be enough, there is so much focus on having a big battery, but the weight penalty is not great, but with a 250Wh range extender you can have that extra range for big ride.

Just something to consider
The range extender is something i was already planning on. About the battery it will be an integrated battery with a carbon enclosure but it will be extractable trough the motor mount for serviceability.

Thomas39

Jun 15, 2022
Italy
Ciao, con 500 W a 1500 D+ puoi arrivarci solo in modalità eco e su strade lisce. Valuta un 600 W.
se si desidera installare un display sul tubo superiore, la forma rotonda potrebbe rappresentare un problema.

martinvb

Sep 7, 2024
lyon
Ciao, con 500 W a 1500 D+ puoi arrivarci solo in modalità eco e su strade lisce. Valuta un 600 W.
se si desidera installare un display sul tubo superiore, la forma rotonda potrebbe rappresentare un problema.
Thanks for the point on the screen. I'm aware of that and my workaround is to not have a screen at all. At the end of the day a simple matrix led for battery stat, 5 leds to indicate assist level and a couple of buttons on the handlebar is all that is needed in my opinion. Also less stuff that can and will break in the case of a fall...
With 530wh in combined use so eco when is not super hard and boost only in super steep areas it should be enough for 1100-1200m+ and if i go on a big ride i will be doing a range extender to clip on the bottle holder.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles