2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Great to hear about the coil I can't wait to get one on my bike. Going to get the Vorsprung kit for the 36 too and should be done. We are looking at the tunnel to see what can be done for a slightly longer shock. If I told him we could get 160 out back I would be stoked but otherwise just a coil will make me happy. Sounds like you have your bike pretty dialed, did you change springs at all on the coil?
Not yet. I received a 600lb I recently ordered (I'm about 200lbs riding weight), but haven't had a chance to put it on. The 550 is doing well with the compression dialed up a few more clicks, perhaps at the expense of a little less small bump compliance. No complaints really, but assume I will be able to open up compression more with a 600 and possibly get a little more bottom out resistance.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
But 6 or so of my riding buddies have them. All on stumpys and enduros. I am pretty sure they are all running coils after getting the cascade link.

Thanks for the info. Just minutes ago, I got off the phone with Jimmy. He's a friendly guy who seems to know what he's talking about. I think he's honest, too, because he didn't try to give me a hard-sell for my 2021 MX. My bike can't accommodate a coil, and I think that's where his link would really shine.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Thanks for the info. Just minutes ago, I got off the phone with Jimmy. He's a friendly guy who seems to know what he's talking about. I think he's honest, too, because he didn't try to give me a hard-sell for my 2021 MX. My bike can't accommodate a coil, and I think that's where his link would really shine.

Jimmy is a great guy and who I am working with on the new link, he works for my friend Ben who own Dive Xtras. They make underwater diver propulsion vehicles that I have been using for over twenty years for both wreck and cave diving and have always been at the forefront of technology. I was stoked to when I heard they would be doing MTB parts!

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
hi all,
after some advice,does anybody know what length dropper the medium heckler is shipped with and can it be slammed all the way into the frame?
thanks

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
hi all,
after some advice,does anybody know what length dropper the medium heckler is shipped with and can it be slammed all the way into the frame?
thanks
I purchased the medium R build and it was a 150. Unfortunately the frame design doesn't allow you to slam it. I normally ride a 185 bike yoke and I also have a 170 axs reverb. Neither of them would work for me. I had to go with my oneup 180 and drop it to 160 via the shims. Not ideal for me tbh.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
I purchased the medium R build and it was a 150. Unfortunately the frame design doesn't allow you to slam it. I normally ride a 185 bike yoke and I also have a 170 axs reverb. Neither of them would work for me. I had to go with my oneup 180 and drop it to 160 via the shims. Not ideal for me tbh.

It would appear to be the achille's heel of the frame design and has been commented on by most, if not all, of the bike journo's. If a Heckler/Bullit is what you really want to ride, then the best you can do is find the longest dropper with the shortest insert length. The OneUp V2 and PNW Loam would be two choices to look at.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
It would appear to be the achille's heel of the frame design and has been commented on by most, if not all, of the bike journo's. If a Heckler/Bullit is what you really want to ride, then the best you can do is find the longest dropper with the shortest insert length. The OneUp V2 and PNW Loam would be two choices to look at.
Yep. I have the oneup v2. I have it as far in as I can get it, but it still has a good amount of post showing. I was able to eek out 160 though, which is fine, but not ideal.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
Any news ?
delayed again,parts missing etc,not sure how long it will be before they arrive.

starting to piss me off to be honest,ifeel that santa cruz/jungle need to be honest with everyone.

i was told a few weeks ago that they were in build and now theyre not,sounds like some bull shitting going on.

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
delayed again,parts missing etc,not sure how long it will be before they arrive.

starting to piss me off to be honest,ifeel that santa cruz/jungle need to be honest with everyone.

i was told a few weeks ago that they were in build and now theyre not,sounds like some bull shitting going on.
This is painful I ordered mine back in February and I called for an update a few weeks back and got a no idea response as well. At this rate the new Bullit will be announced and available! If the Levo was a full 29er I’d look at that.

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
i get in touch with 2 of the European distributors. Same informations. They have absolutely no clue about deliveries from Santa Cruz for the E-Bikes (German factory) and they both mentioned that 2023 was a real possibility.

as I’m waiting now for a new bike since September 2021 (was first Scor and the Santa when got the infos I can forget about Scor before 2023), so I spent the week looking around (Europe and US) for the 2 bikes that are interesting me at this time. For the Santa I had some chance to get one in the US, but unfortunately after checking with different airlines, it is forbidden to take the battery in the plane… so I forgot about this possibility (don’t see the fun to bring back a Ebike without the battery 😜). And then focus on the Yeti 160 E. Could find one at 400km from me, so going tomorrow to get it. I would have prefered the Heckler, but at this stage I’m feeling like winning at the lottery by getting my 2nd choice 😂

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
i ordered mine 10 minutes after release.
i was told late april early may delivery,this date passed.
i was then told late may.late may arrives and i asked how it was looking and was told they're being built now.
now i've been told they are still waiting for parts and they're not sure when they'll arrive.

i can accept a delay and i get the world is tricky right now but i think enough delivery dates have been and gone that jungle need to be more proactively forward with the information they give out.

estoril

Patreon
Sep 28, 2018
UK
My LBS has a Santa Cruz demo day coming up in just over a week....could this mean that customer orders will start to arrive now? (Hecklers are included in the demo).

cdavies102

Jun 29, 2021
UK
i ordered mine 10 minutes after release.
i was told late april early may delivery,this date passed.
i was then told late may.late may arrives and i asked how it was looking and was told they're being built now.
now i've been told they are still waiting for parts and they're not sure when they'll arrive.

i can accept a delay and i get the world is tricky right now but i think enough delivery dates have been and gone that jungle need to be more proactively forward with the information they give out.

This is sounding very much the same as all stories last year with the Bullits. I had the same news come through from SC/Jungle. I had the same as you had, but then it went to 'hopefully next month' which was repeated every month for 6 months until I cancelled my order. We know of the worldwide difficulties but it would be easier hearing the facts instead of 'oh yeh now it's being built so won't be long' then clearly didn't have the parts available and you just feel you are being lied to.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Any other Santa Cruz E bike owners that have had issues with the Shimano DI-2 EW-SD50 cables failing? I had my second one fail on a ride yesterday, the first one was because the length where it exited the frame and into the Shimano display SC-E7000 and when I did a cross up it crimped the wire because it was too short. I replaced it with a 950mm and made sure there was plenty of length, put over 250 miles on it and washed the bike for the first time and on my ride yesterday It would turn off and back on randomly. I pulled the motor cover and checked all the connections, I bought a 1200mm DI2 cable in case this happened out on the trail and routed it along the frame and tied it down with electrical tape and it worked like a charm. My question is why are these cables failing and if anyone else has had to replace one on their bike?

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7763.jpg

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Just picked up a new 2022 Santa Cruz Heckler today. Only took it around the neighborhood but wow, can't believe how poppy it is! Can't wait for the 1st real ride tomorrow. I almost didn't buy the bike because of not being able to slam the dropper into the frame. I have an XL and my 170mm AXS drops all the way into the frame just like it does on my Bullit.

20220623_165634.jpg

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Just picked up a new 2022 Santa Cruz Heckler today. Only took it around the neighborhood but wow, can't believe how poppy it is! Can't wait for the 1st real ride tomorrow. I almost didn't buy the bike because of not being able to slam the dropper into the frame. I have an XL and my 170mm AXS drops all the way into the frame just like it does on my Bullit.

View attachment 90809
I love the SC colour pallet. Great looking bike.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City

View attachment 90809

Is that the MX? I also love that color!

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
I went back to my shop today and the MX was gone but they had a 29er. So I grabbed it. Size XL. S Kit. This shop is easy about upgrades and gives a fair credit for the takeoffs so I’m thinking about swapping out the 36 for a ZEB or Fox 38. Is anybody running the bigger fork on the Heckler? Would you do this assuming a good price?

View attachment 90953 View attachment 90961

Last edited:

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
I went back to my shop today and the MX was gone but they had a 29er. So I grabbed it. Size XL. S Kit. This shop is easy about upgrades a gives a fair credit for the takeoffs so I’m thinking about swapping out the 36 for a ZEB or Fox 38. Is anybody running the bigger fork on the Heckler? Would you do this assuming a good price?

View attachment 90953 View attachment 90961
I do and I would. Especially since you sound like a big guy (over 200 on an XL?). If you go 38, you may want to get the e-tune. Otherwise, it could feel a bit harsh. You should expect it to change the character slightly. Calmer when hitting rock gardens fast, but just a little harder to pick the front wheel up during slow speed maneuvers. Overall I think the change is positive if you have the terrain for it and are big enough to appreciate the added stiffness/less flex. Didn't weigh mine before or after, but probably adds a few hundred grams which could put the bike closer to or over the 50lbs mark. This also moves it a little in the direction of the Bullit, but the rear will still be poppier and more efficient for more general trail riding.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
I do and I would. Especially since you sound like a big guy (over 200 on an XL?). If you go 38, you may want to get the e-tune. Otherwise, it could feel a bit harsh. You should expect it to change the character slightly. Calmer when hitting rock gardens fast, but just a little harder to pick the front wheel up during slow speed maneuvers. Overall I think the change is positive if you have the terrain for it and are big enough to appreciate the added stiffness/less flex. Didn't weigh mine before or after, but probably adds a few hundred grams which could put the bike closer to or over the 50lbs mark. This also moves it a little in the direction of the Bullit, but the rear will still be poppier and more efficient for more general trail riding.

Thanks for the input, Crrichmo. I should have been clear that I’d keep the ZEB at 160mm travel 44mm offset to keep the geometry the same. Im just simply want the bigger stanchions, stiffer platform. Plus the new ZEB looks rad. Im 6’ 4” and 195-200 lbs all geared up. Regarding the 200mm dropper, I hope I can get enough insertion to fit it on the heckler. We’ll see!

Btw, I also happen to have a factory X2 that was a take off from my Ripmo V2 that I could put on there (same 210x55 on both bikes), but I want to try the superdeluxe to see how it feels.

Last edited:

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Checked in with the shop today. They offered me an upgrade to fox 38 factory for $800. They said the Zeb is hard to get right now so if I wanted the Zeb there would be a wait. But they both said they would skip this upgrade and stick with the 36 that comes stock, because it’s a great fork and the 38/Zeb is unnecessary on this bike. They’re probably right about that but it just makes me want to upgrade all the more. Lol

View attachment 91108

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the input, Crrichmo. I should have been clear that I’d keep the ZEB at 160mm travel 44mm offset to keep the geometry the same. Im just simply want the bigger stanchions, stiffer platform. Plus the new ZEB looks rad. Im 6’ 4” and 195-200 lbs all geared up. Regarding the 200mm dropper, I hope I can get enough insertion to fit it on the heckler. We’ll see!

Btw, I also happen to have a factory X2 that was a take off from my Ripmo V2 that I could put on there (same 210x55 on both bikes), but I want to try the superdeluxe to see how it feels.
I had assumed you meant to keep it at 160. I haven't ridden a Zeb.
Checked in with the shop today. They offered me an upgrade to fox 38 factory for $800. They said the Zeb is hard to get right now so if I wanted the Zeb there would be a wait. But they both said they would skip this upgrade and stick with the 36 that comes stock, because it’s a great fork and the 38/Zeb is unnecessary on this bike. They’re probably right about that but it just makes me want to upgrade all the more. Lol

View attachment 91108
Depends on how you ride and your terrain. If you have a lot of high speed rocky terrain and ride at speeds that can potentially lead to flex/binding, you will definitely see benefit by going with the 38. If you ride mainly flow trails, jumps, and stick mostly to blues and easier blacks, then 36 will be great. Most people that get this bike are probably in the latter category. It's not good or bad, just job specific. When I decided to go with the heckler, I was looking for a bike that would give me the poppiness I like out of my regular 30-34 pound mountain bikes since I was worried it would feel too ground hugging being 50 pounds with more than 150 rear travel. Also $800 over a fox 36 seems excessive to me. I would expect it to be under a $500 difference.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Okay, it’s done. I picked this up on Friday.

2022 Heckler 29er S Kit size XL Maritime Grey

Upgrades:
GX AXS kit
200 mm Fox Transfer
Enve 65 mm stem
2023 ZEB Ultimate (RC3, Buttercups, etc)

I’m 6’4” with 35” inseam.

I’m looking forward to some extended dirt time to see what this thing can do. In my admittedly limited sidewalk testing so far, what strikes me is how nimble and poppy it feels. Maneuverability wise I think it feels a lot like my Ripmo V2

IMG_2585.jpg

Happy trails!

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA

Upgrades:
GX AXS kit
200 mm Fox Transfer
Enve 65 mm stem

I’m looking forward to some extended dirt time to see what this thing can do. In my admittedly limited sidewalk testing so far, what strikes me is how nimble and poppy it feels. Maneuverability wise I think it feels a lot like my Ripmo V2

View attachment 91567

Happy trails!
Totally agree, it is a poppy, playful bike.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA

Upgrades:
GX AXS kit
200 mm Fox Transfer
Enve 65 mm stem

View attachment 91567

Happy trails!

Nice Ride, I love my Heckler only complaint has been the Di2 wires failing. The bike is very lively for its weight and the main reason I chose it over all the others I rode. The rear shock leaves a lot to be desired in terms of handling square edge hits, look forward to seeing what Jimmy comes up with at cascade components. The Zeb should be a nice improvement for the front, the HS2 rotors make a big difference in stopping power and brake fade.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Nice Ride, I love my Heckler only complaint has been the Di2 wires failing. The bike is very lively for its weight and the main reason I chose it over all the others I rode. The rear shock leaves a lot to be desired in terms of handling square edge hits, look forward to seeing what Jimmy comes up with at cascade components. The Zeb should be a nice improvement for the front, the HS2 rotors make a big difference in stopping power and brake fade.

I have a C build and I upgraded to the shock you have now. My old shock is the same as yours except it has less rebound tuning range and no low speed compression adjustment.

For me that shock was just too active for me to feel comfortable on. I upgrade to the shock you have and it has made my Heckler MX much better. What exactly are the issues you are having with the rear and square edge hits? Too harsh, or slowing down or getting hung up on them?

If it's the latter, I noticed this as well. It also wasn't worse with my old shock or any better with my new shock. If you see the latest review by The Loam Wolf of the 22 Heckler MX, they also mention how the bike gets hung up on rocky terrain.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
I have a C build and I upgraded to the shock you have now. My old shock is the same as yours except it has less rebound tuning range and no low speed compression adjustment.

For me that shock was just too active for me to feel comfortable on. I upgrade to the shock you have and it has made my Heckler MX much better. What exactly are the issues you are having with the rear and square edge hits? Too harsh, or slowing down or getting hung up on them?

If it's the latter, I noticed this as well. It also wasn't worse with my old shock or any better with my new shock. If you see the latest review by The Loam Wolf of the 22 Heckler MX, they also mention how the bike gets hung up on rocky terrain.

I have a Smashpot coil kit in my Fox 36 and its so compliant and my plan has always been to upgrade the rear shock to a coil just waiting for the Cascade link to get finished up. I run coils on all my bikes and prefer them over any of the air shocks.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Had my first proper ride this morning. I really like the feel of this bike. I happen to have a Factory X2 on my workbench in the size for the Heckler (210x55). I could throw that in there but so far the Super Deluxe has been great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles