2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Here's the bike with the 38 on it. Haven't taken any photos on the trail yet since installing it. It replaced the Lyrik select that came on the R build.

20220423_180235.jpg

20220423_180227.jpg

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
For folks trying to decide about suspension, here are some professional reviewer perspectives that I came across before settling on the heckler to make sure it was the right do it all emtb for me:

From Pinkbike:
There are a few spec choice on the Heckler that seem a little out of place. Keep in mind that Santa Cruz has the bigger, burlier Bullit already in their lineup - I'm sure they were trying to avoid stealing too much of that bike's thunder. The thing is, it's not as if the Heckler is trying to fit into the emerging lighter weight e-bike category – this isn't an Orbea Rise or a Specialized Levo SL – which means I'd rather see it come with a 220mm front rotor and burlier tires.

Those extra grams aren't going to affect the range that much, and I'm more than willing to take a slight weight penalty for better performance. I could also see larger riders wishing for a Fox 38 rather than a 36. I'm on the lighter side, so the 36 is stiff enough for me, but I also wouldn't have complained if there was a 38 instead.

From Bike Radar:
...the bike’s new ‘low’ setting has a more progressive leverage curve for potentially more aggressive riding in that geometry setting. According to Santa Cruz’s leverage curve graphs, in the low setting, the Heckler is roughly 26 per cent progressive, similar to the Bronson. That also means the kinematics should suit a coil shock, and space has been made for one thanks to a larger diameter and redesign of the seat-tube tunnel.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
For folks trying to decide about suspension, here are some professional reviewer perspectives that I came across before settling on the heckler to make sure it was the right do it all emtb for me:

From Pinkbike:
There are a few spec choice on the Heckler that seem a little out of place. Keep in mind that Santa Cruz has the bigger, burlier Bullit already in their lineup - I'm sure they were trying to avoid stealing too much of that bike's thunder. The thing is, it's not as if the Heckler is trying to fit into the emerging lighter weight e-bike category – this isn't an Orbea Rise or a Specialized Levo SL – which means I'd rather see it come with a 220mm front rotor and burlier tires.

Those extra grams aren't going to affect the range that much, and I'm more than willing to take a slight weight penalty for better performance. I could also see larger riders wishing for a Fox 38 rather than a 36. I'm on the lighter side, so the 36 is stiff enough for me, but I also wouldn't have complained if there was a 38 instead.

From Bike Radar:
...the bike’s new ‘low’ setting has a more progressive leverage curve for potentially more aggressive riding in that geometry setting. According to Santa Cruz’s leverage curve graphs, in the low setting, the Heckler is roughly 26 per cent progressive, similar to the Bronson. That also means the kinematics should suit a coil shock, and space has been made for one thanks to a larger diameter and redesign of the seat-tube tunnel.

That looks awesome! I just got a set of the new SRAM 220 HS2 rotors, they should do the trick with the Code R brakes. Interested to hear how your bike performs in the lower setting with the coil. Keep in mind that Cascade Components will have a couple of links out that will allow you to change the progression as well as run a slightly longer shock if you want. If the low setting does not help with bottoming out those progressive springs work surprising well.

Also have you tried any of the Vorsprung coil kits in your forks? I was running their kit in my Fox 36 on my Ibis and loved it, plus no more carrying around a pump or constantly having to check the fork and shock. They have a kit for the new 38, I talked with them the other day and they confirmed it will fit the ebike version but you also just had yours tweaked right?

Last edited:

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
That looks awesome! I just got a set of the new SRAM 220 HS2 rotors, they should do the trick with the Code R brakes. Interested to hear how your bike performs in the lower setting with the coil. Keep in mind that Cascade Components will have a couple of links out that will allow you to change the progression as well as run a slightly longer shock if you want. If the low setting does not help with bottoming out those progressive springs work surprising well.

Also have you tried any of the Vorsprung coil kits in your forks? I was running their kit in my Fox 36 on my Ibis and loved it, plus no more carrying around a pump or constantly having to check the fork and shock. They have a kit for the new 38, I talked with them the other day and they confirmed it will fit the ebike version but you also just had yours tweaked right?
Hey Rusty762, thanks buddy. I am pretty stoked on it.

The 220 rotors were a good upgrade. I think it will be a noticeable improvement for you. I like Codes and run them on 2 of my analog bikes. The Guide REs with the 220 rotors are actually pretty decent. I rode them with the 200s initially and stopping power wasn't entirely there. I imagine the Codes will be very nice with 220s. I want to try the Magura MT7s. I have a pair waiting to go on the bike once the REs need a bleed.

Yeah, Cascade link is definitely on my radar--at least to scope it out once it hits the market. Assuming it will have a similar change to the previous MY heckler, I don't love the idea of extending the chainstay length. I'm on the MX and 446 is already a good length for me (I'm not tall). But I am always game to try something from Cascade. It sounds like it would likely get the bike closer to a Bullit, which right now I am finding the 150 rear travel to be just about perfect for a mix of techy trails and jump lines.

As far as the lower chip setting, I have a couple rides on it now and aside from the one previous post I mentioned, I have not had any harsh bottom outs since. I was almost fully open on compression and my rebound was a little slow when I bottomed out, so I think it was just packing up on quick successive hits. I'll update here if I get a different impression after more rides. If I did change it up, I think I would just try a heavier spring first since the suspension feels really good otherwise and there is good mid and end support (i.e. I am not blowing through it at all). A progressive spring on a bike with 26% progressivity in the rear may limit my effort to get full travel when needed. But just a guess.

Yeah, I just got the 38 tuned for me. It feels really nice and is similar to the e-tune from Fox with just a few differences based on Ryan at Fluid Focus's thoughts and my personal preferences. I don't have any experience with Vorsprung's coil (just their luftkappe), but my buddies only say good things about the smashpot (i mean they really like it). I would potentially consider it in a 36 or lyrik first TBH. That could be a good route if someone already has a 36/lyrik and didn't want to replace it with a 38/zeb, etc. Of course, to the other dudes point about the beefier build vs lighter trail build for the heckler, a 38 with coil would probably get close to the weight a fox 40 or boxxer. That might be a bit much for most of my riding, but would no doubt feel amazing if you ride high speed double blacks all the time.

What's the latest on your end? Did you get your coil yet?

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
I have a levo and still think the heckler is $$$ for what you get imo.
yeah, it's expensive for sure. The recent price hike hasn't helped either. I'm generally ok paying a premium for a frame I really want/like and was always planning to change out parts, so I went with the "cheap" R build. $8200 at the time. Now a bit more. Was planning to sell the take offs to lower the actual cost a bit more, but haven't gotten to it yet and may not bother.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Hey Rusty762, thanks buddy. I am pretty stoked on it.

The 220 rotors were a good upgrade. I think it will be a noticeable improvement for you. I like Codes and run them on 2 of my analog bikes. The Guide REs with the 220 rotors are actually pretty decent. I rode them with the 200s initially and stopping power wasn't entirely there. I imagine the Codes will be very nice with 220s. I want to try the Magura MT7s. I have a pair waiting to go on the bike once the REs need a bleed.

Yeah, Cascade link is definitely on my radar--at least to scope it out once it hits the market. Assuming it will have a similar change to the previous MY heckler, I don't love the idea of extending the chainstay length. I'm on the MX and 446 is already a good length for me (I'm not tall). But I am always game to try something from Cascade. It sounds like it would likely get the bike closer to a Bullit, which right now I am finding the 150 rear travel to be just about perfect for a mix of techy trails and jump lines.

As far as the lower chip setting, I have a couple rides on it now and aside from the one previous post I mentioned, I have not had any harsh bottom outs since. I was almost fully open on compression and my rebound was a little slow when I bottomed out, so I think it was just packing up on quick successive hits. I'll update here if I get a different impression after more rides. If I did change it up, I think I would just try a heavier spring first since the suspension feels really good otherwise and there is good mid and end support (i.e. I am not blowing through it at all). A progressive spring on a bike with 26% progressivity in the rear may limit my effort to get full travel when needed. But just a guess.

Yeah, I just got the 38 tuned for me. It feels really nice and is similar to the e-tune from Fox with just a few differences based on Ryan at Fluid Focus's thoughts and my personal preferences. I don't have any experience with Vorsprung's coil (just their luftkappe), but my buddies only say good things about the smashpot (i mean they really like it). I would potentially consider it in a 36 or lyrik first TBH. That could be a good route if someone already has a 36/lyrik and didn't want to replace it with a 38/zeb, etc. Of course, to the other dudes point about the beefier build vs lighter trail build for the heckler, a 38 with coil would probably get close to the weight a fox 40 or boxxer. That might be a bit much for most of my riding, but would no doubt feel amazing if you ride high speed double blacks all the time.

What's the latest on your end? Did you get your coil yet?

Probably will not be able to buy the coil for another couple months unfortunately, I cased a jump on one of my local trails the other day and bottomed the rear shock out so hard it knocked the rear bolt loose. It only took a 1/4 turn to tighten but I am not impressed with the Rock Shox rear shock and if I was going to stay with an air shock would put a Fox on the back. I am running it 20 lbs above what they recommend but still blowing through the travel.

Good news is the battery cover mount is done, its as close to waterproof as you can get without going overboard with dual o rings and a larger profile.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Hey Gang, in the interest of keeping this thread clean I moved the replacement charging port cover info onto its own thread below. If you have any questions let me know.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Does anyone have informations on deliveries of the Heckler in Europe ? They were mentioning April, but mid-May still nothing…

Just a guess but now that Santa Cruz is shipping the replacement latches the bikes will start shipping again, most of the local shops here have Hecklers on the floor that are sold but could not be released to the customer until the latches were replaced....

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
Just a guess but now that Santa Cruz is shipping the replacement latches the bikes will start shipping again, most of the local shops here have Hecklers on the floor that are sold but could not be released to the customer until the latches were replaced....

I would love ordering a bike from the US to get it, but unfortunately they are not authorized to ship… and European distributors seems not very stressed. They already are delivering the new Hightower which have been launched after the Heckler

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
I would love ordering a bike from the US to get it, but unfortunately they are not authorized to ship… and European distributors seems not very stressed. They already are delivering the new Hightower which have been launched after the Heckler
New megatower you mean? Or is there a new hightower now?

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Hows the bike with the coil and 38 working out? I have this puppy out to get cascade started on a new rear link.

View attachment 88770
Coil is money. I haven't ridden it with an air shock still, but don't really see the point. The review recently posted by Loam Wolf (in a nutshell-- very playful bike, fast, but somewhat harsh off the top and a bit out of its element in the rough, also rear can get hung up on slow tech) is not really an issue with the coil. Took it to Vailocity in Temecula, CA a couple weeks ago. Rode black and double black trails on it. Some steep, chucky rock gardens (with no obvious lines) peppered in there on the regular. Handled everything and didn't feel harsh at all. Of course, the Bullit would probably handle it all better, but I also ride more mellow blues on it too and the Bullit would be overkill for those trails IMO. Overall very satisfied with the heckler and its all around performance/nature.

As for the 38, it provides a calmer experience on rough trails at a slight loss of some of the playfulness I felt with the Lyrik. The Lyrik felt ever so slightly lighter up front and was easier to lift the front wheel to initiate bunny hops, jumps, and pop from one side of the trail to the other. I am happy with the 38, but it does modify the character slightly. I imagine my heckler feels somewhat like a smaller, more poppy Bullit if I was to guess. Overall, the differences are subtle, but they are there. I would recommend the 38 for bigger/stronger guys or someone who wants more DH capability out of the 160mm travel without just going to 170. I almost went with a 170 air spring, but reminded myself why I went with the heckler and not the bullit in the first place. I think we can be quick to go with more travel when it isn't always a positive change or at least the right change for what you plan to do with the bike the majority of the time.

That said, still interested in what Casade may do with a new link. The bike already has a 26 percent (or was it 27%?) leverage curve, so I assume a Casade link would demand a coil on it. Will probably put it in the mid-30s and maybe add 5-10 mm of travel, making it a 155 or 160 rear at the expense of an additional 5 mm of chainstay length. Just a guess of course. Very cool to have options.

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
i was told the first uk batch is being built now.
Like my car… I’ve been told it has been built on April 2nd… and desperately waiting on a parking lot in Mexico for a ship to bring it to Europe… if it is not a problem of missing components, then they still have the issue of transport

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
Like my car… I’ve been told it has been built on April 2nd… and desperately waiting on a parking lot in Mexico for a ship to bring it to Europe… if it is not a problem of missing components, then they still have the issue of transport
they're built in germany pal,transport shouldn't be a problem.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Coil is money. I haven't ridden it with an air shock still, but don't really see the point. The review recently posted by Loam Wolf (in a nutshell-- very playful bike, fast, but somewhat harsh off the top and a bit out of its element in the rough, also rear can get hung up on slow tech) is not really an issue with the coil. Took it to Vailocity in Temecula, CA a couple weeks ago. Rode black and double black trails on it. Some steep, chucky rock gardens (with no obvious lines) peppered in there on the regular. Handled everything and didn't feel harsh at all. Of course, the Bullit would probably handle it all better, but I also ride more mellow blues on it too and the Bullit would be overkill for those trails IMO. Overall very satisfied with the heckler and its all around performance/nature.

As for the 38, it provides a calmer experience on rough trails at a slight loss of some of the playfulness I felt with the Lyrik. The Lyrik felt ever so slightly lighter up front and was easier to lift the front wheel to initiate bunny hops, jumps, and pop from one side of the trail to the other. I am happy with the 38, but it does modify the character slightly. I imagine my heckler feels somewhat like a smaller, more poppy Bullit if I was to guess. Overall, the differences are subtle, but they are there. I would recommend the 38 for bigger/stronger guys or someone who wants more DH capability out of the 160mm travel without just going to 170. I almost went with a 170 air spring, but reminded myself why I went with the heckler and not the bullit in the first place. I think we can be quick to go with more travel when it isn't always a positive change or at least the right change for what you plan to do with the bike the majority of the time.

That said, still interested in what Casade may do with a new link. The bike already has a 26 percent (or was it 27%?) leverage curve, so I assume a Casade link would demand a coil on it. Will probably put it in the mid-30s and maybe add 5-10 mm of travel, making it a 155 or 160 rear at the expense of an additional 5 mm of chainstay length. Just a guess of course. Very cool to have options.

Great to hear about the coil I can't wait to get one on my bike. Going to get the Vorsprung kit for the 36 too and should be done. We are looking at the tunnel to see what can be done for a slightly longer shock. If I told him we could get 160 out back I would be stoked but otherwise just a coil will make me happy. Sounds like you have your bike pretty dialed, did you change springs at all on the coil?

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Either of you guys have experience with Cascade links? I'm intrigued.
Not personally. But 6 or so of my riding buddies have them. All on stumpys and enduros. I am pretty sure they are all running coils after getting the cascade link. My understand is that it creates a softer off the top feel and travel is linearly progressive (basically predictably progressive as it gets more resistant going through its travel as you get closer to bottom out, giving you a more bottomless feel). They have their curves published for each link they create. I think people tend to ride heavier springs with a cascade link since it is more supple for the first portion of its travel. But I am no suspension expert and I am sure others can explain in more technical terms.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles