2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
I suppose for those doing more DH rides, the new Heckler geometry makes sense but where does the Bullit fit in. It become almost redundant imho. It seems that the trend is longer and slacker with more travel but does everyone need a DH bike.

I have the original Heckler MX-S and love it. The geometry is great for even aggressive trail riding and the light weight makes it feel lively. 3lbs even on an ebike does make a difference from my experience.

Between my Heckler MX-S and Orbea Rise M20, I’m very happy. Now if Santa Cruz made a 38lb Heckler MX, that might have me chomping at the bit.

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
My heckler came in but Santa’s Cruz sent the wrong one. I order a full 29er build and they sent a mx. seriously wonder how they got that one wrong.

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
Went to check on my heckler. Seems like it was built on 1/19.
IMG_5650.jpg IMG_5652.jpg

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
I suppose for those doing more DH rides, the new Heckler geometry makes sense but where does the Bullit fit in. It become almost redundant imho. It seems that the trend is longer and slacker with more travel but does everyone need a DH bike.

I have the original Heckler MX-S and love it. The geometry is great for even aggressive trail riding and the light weight makes it feel lively. 3lbs even on an ebike does make a difference from my experience.

Between my Heckler MX-S and Orbea Rise M20, I’m very happy. Now if Santa Cruz made a 38lb Heckler MX, that might have me chomping at the bit.
The 504wh battery on my gram scale is, 3.07 kg or 6# 12.4oz, and the new 720wh is advertised to be, 3.8kg or 8# 5.76oz. So the new bike with the same components as the 2021 bike should only be, .73kg or 1# 9.6oz heaver than the current model...

Last edited:

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
The 504wh battery on my gram scale is, 3.07 kg or 6# 12.4oz, and the new 720wh is advertised to be, 3.8kg or 8# 5.76oz. So the new bike with the same components as the 2021 bike should only be, .73kg or 1# 9.6oz heaver than the current model...

they also used their heavier c carbon frames on most of the builds, I think only the top end one has the lighter cc carbon now. So you’ll also have that added weight. The previous gen all had the top end cc carbon. Kinda lame in my opinion to make that change and still up the price

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
The frame is a bit bigger, also heavier 29er fork, wheel(s) and tire(s). It's not much, but small things add up.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
they also used their heavier c carbon frames on most of the builds, I think only the top end one has the lighter cc carbon now. So you’ll also have that added weight. The previous gen all had the top end cc carbon. Kinda lame in my opinion to make that change and still up the price
The C XT build is 250 grams lighter than the CC XO1 build...CC frames are not much lighter than the C frames. I had two large 2020 5010 frames and the CC was 3005 grams and the C was 3050 grams both with same shock...

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
The C XT build is 250 grams lighter than the CC XO1 build...CC frames are not much lighter than the C frames. I had two large 2020 5010 frames and the CC was 3005 grams and the C was 3050 grams both with same shock...

That’s interesting, I was always under the impression the cc frames were around 300grams or so lighter.

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with sizing on the Heckler? I am on the cusp at 6ft 1” between Large and XL. Reach seems long on the XL but I’m used to older style shorter Geo.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Mine gets here tomorrow. I bought it strictly to try out. I had a Bullit and while it was a great bike I didn't love it like I love my Levo Pro. I'm hoping the Heckler is a hair more comfortable. Anyway, the only one I could find was an "S" build. Does anybody know why they come with a 10-50 GX cassette vs the newer 10-52? It doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean it's going to have the old [non Lunar] derailleur too?

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
Mine gets here tomorrow. I bought it strictly to try out. I had a Bullit and while it was a great bike I didn't love it like I love my Levo Pro. I'm hoping the Heckler is a hair more comfortable. Anyway, the only one I could find was an "S" build. Does anybody know why they come with a 10-50 GX cassette vs the newer 10-52? It doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean it's going to have the old [non Lunar] derailleur too?

Its a big improvement over last year's heckler. I bought the S build on the last heckler and sold it after only a week with it. This new one is a lot better but IMO the Levo Gen 3, and Rail are better full powered e bikes. The Levo and Rail both feel more powerful and have more range, especially the new 22 Rail 9.8+ the bosch just out ranges every single other Ebike with the 750w battery. I will probably let the heckler go and get the Sworks Levo Gen 3 or another Rail.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Its a big improvement over last year's heckler. I bought the S build on the last heckler and sold it after only a week with it. This new one is a lot better but IMO the Levo Gen 3, and Rail are better full powered e bikes. The Levo and Rail both feel more powerful and have more range, especially the new 22 Rail 9.8+ the bosch just out ranges every single other Ebike with the 750w battery. I will probably let the heckler go and get the Sworks Levo Gen 3 or another Rail.

Without a doubt I would have bought a new rail 9.9 if it was available. I like to try new stuff out and if I can find a good deal on anything that catches my eye I’ll buy it and sell it if I don’t like it. With prices rising and availability so low it usually doesn’t hurt too much. I bought my 2022 Levo Pro last may. I wanted the s works but it was totally unavailable. Anyway, I love the Levo. So far it’s been impossible to beat as a package. I’ve had several other bikes in the last year and the Levo is the only one that I’ve kept. However, I find the Levo a little overkill for some of the local rides we do. I use it primarily for bike parks and rides that I know are going to be rough. For local riding I think the heckler might suit me fine.

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
Without a doubt I would have bought a new rail 9.9 if it was available. I like to try new stuff out and if I can find a good deal on anything that catches my eye I’ll buy it and sell it if I don’t like it. With prices rising and availability so low it usually doesn’t hurt too much. I bought my 2022 Levo Pro last may. I wanted the s works but it was totally unavailable. Anyway, I love the Levo. So far it’s been impossible to beat as a package. I’ve had several other bikes in the last year and the Levo is the only one that I’ve kept. However, I find the Levo a little overkill for some of the local rides we do. I use it primarily for bike parks and rides that I know are going to be rough. For local riding I think the heckler might suit me fine.
I keep buying new ones to try different things as well. The heckler has been the least impressive to me and santa cruz's customer service is partly the reason why I am not keeping it. I love my Rail and Rise, but I am curious about the Brose motor. If the Sworks Levo doesnt work out for me I am either buying the 9.9 AXS or the Mondraker Crafty RR SL and making a few changes. The only other ebike on my list is scott's new trail ebike or trek's fuel ex ebike.

If someone makes a trail ebike 160mm/150mm travel with the CX Gen 4 with full power and sub 45lb weight I will buy it.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
I keep buying new ones to try different things as well. The heckler has been the least impressive to me and santa cruz's customer service is partly the reason why I am not keeping it. I love my Rail and Rise, but I am curious about the Brose motor. If the Sworks Levo doesnt work out for me I am either buying the 9.9 AXS or the Mondraker Crafty RR SL and making a few changes. The only other ebike on my list is scott's new trail ebike or trek's fuel ex ebike.

If someone makes a trail ebike 160mm/150mm travel with the CX Gen 4 with full power and sub 45lb weight I will buy it.
What was your experience with Santa Cruz customer service?

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
What was your experience with Santa Cruz customer service?
I didn’t order an MX version I ordered the 29er but they sent the MX. I kept asking if there was anything they could do and they told me to basically F off if I didn’t take it someone else would and they won’t do anything for me. My dealer gave me a deal so I took it and because of that I took a chance on it but I didn’t like MX so that took care of the loss I am taking to sell it.

It was supposed to be my first Santa Cruz bike and so far I wish I never ordered it because I missed the chance to order a 9.9 AXS now those are all sold out for the 23 MY. I probably won’t ever buy a Santa Cruz now. $13300 and they treat me worse than Walmart does.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
I didn’t order an MX version I ordered the 29er but they sent the MX. I kept asking if there was anything they could do and they told me to basically F off if I didn’t take it someone else would and they won’t do anything for me. My dealer gave me a deal so I took it and because of that I took a chance on it but I didn’t like MX so that took care of the loss I am taking to sell it.

It was supposed to be my first Santa Cruz bike and so far I wish I never ordered it because I missed the chance to order a 9.9 AXS now those are all sold out for the 23 MY. I probably won’t ever buy a Santa Cruz now. $13300 and they treat me worse than Walmart does.
Wow! Sucks it was their error and they wouldn't make it right.

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
Yea. I called, emailed and had my dealer ask repeatedly and they just wouldn’t do anything so I am done with them. I wanted reserve wheels for my other bikes but I’m not sure sure anymore on principle.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA

I wish that I could have found that bike. I got the 29er but it’s an “S”. Just got here today. It was the only Heckler that I could find….I did want a 29er though but I would have taken the Better Mx build if it had been available

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Any former Bullit riders here that switched to the new Heckler? Would be cool to read a comparison how the Heckler rides.

Edward

Feb 20, 2022
8000ft, Colorado
Does anyone know what the second set of LED mean?
When you press the button - it first flashes battery state (in this case full):
20220310_163356-XL.jpg

Then those lights go out and these 3 lights come on:
20220310_163401-XL.jpg

Anyone have any idea what those 3 mean?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles