2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its relative isn't it - seem like a lot of brands have gone with the e7000 on their most basic models, but on the likes of SC, Pivot and some others it makes no sense when compared to rest of the market value wise as their base models cost more than most brands top end ones.. Maybe Shimano are incentivising brands somehow that if they want the ep8 they have to also fork out for some e7000s?

I have always taken it with SC that you are going to be paying a shit load for one on the first place, your not exactly the kind of person who is going to be wanting the e7000

The Bullit is a great bike, but at the end of the day you have to be an SC fan to justify shelling out for one over the competition, as its not exactly offering anything you cant get somewhere else at a lower price.

Its main plus points the weight, which is relatively low for a bike of its type, and if had the cash to drop on one then that would sway me, but not enough to stretch myself financially.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Lengthy interview with the SC CEO. Would not want to be in his shoes trying to secure parts and such. Tough times for all. At some point they were even having issues getting their cardboard boxes! Really illustrates the challenges for the bike manufacturers.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Information here from Santa Cruz, if you want to switch to 2021 Fox Float X2 or DHX2:

The Bullit uses the same shock tunes as the Nomad 5, so while we don't spec the Bullit with a Fox Float X2 or a Fox DHX2 they would be the same as the Nomad. Here are the recommended shock tunes for both shocks.

Fox Float X2: CL002, JCR010, Rezi CM
Fox DHX2: CL, JCR010, Rezi CM

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
I had a Levo with 700wh battery and easily got 30 miles plus with 3000’ of climbing with generous utilization of max power (40-50%).

The Bullit I’ll see 20 miles and up to 2200’ of climbing before I switch batteries.

EP8 boost is not as powerful as the Brose in boost. I miss the brose.

I have had all of the following for product development. Had at least 500 miles on each and many over 1000 miles:

Merida e160
Levo Sworks
Kenevo
Levo SL
Decoy Pro Race
Merida 10k
Bullit

The two best bike by far were the SL (setup downcountry with fast rolling tires) and the Kenevo setup for full Mahem (2.6” DHR2 cushcore plus on 37mm id wheels). The original alloy e160 would be my third choice. As I still have the SL, the one that got away was the Kenevo. Wish I still had that bike. It was stolen.

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
I had a Levo with 700wh battery and easily got 30 miles plus with 3000’ of climbing with generous utilization of max power (40-50%).

The Bullit I’ll see 20 miles and up to 2200’ of climbing before I switch batteries.

I have had all of the following for product development. Had at least 500 miles on each and many over 1000 miles:

Merida e160
Levo Sworks
Kenevo
Levo SL
Decoy Pro Race
Merida 10k
Bullit

The two best bike by far were the SL (setup downcountry with fast rolling tires) and the Kenevo setup for full Mahem (2.6” DHR2 cushcore plus on 37mm id wheels). The original alloy e160 would be my third choice. As I still have the SL, the one that got away was the Kenevo. Wish I still had that bike. It was stolen.

Are you ranking the bikes based on overall ride quality/kinematics/jumping/cornering or motor/battery? From everyone’s reviews here the bike seems to ride great but the battery and motor are definitely lacking. Bit disappointing since I have one XT coil on order for May and have to decide between that and a Mondraker Crafty R coming at the end of this month.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark

Merida e160
Levo Sworks
Kenevo
Levo SL
Decoy Pro Race
Merida 10k
Bullit

I will agree, it seems like the EP8 drains the battery quite hard in boost, whilst it can compare better to its equals in somewhat midsection(trailmode)
Are you ranking the bikes based on overall ride quality/kinematics/jumping/cornering or motor/battery? From everyone’s reviews here the bike seems to ride great but the battery and motor are definitely lacking. Bit disappointing since I have one XT coil on order for May and have to decide between that and a Mondraker Crafty R coming at the end of this month.
I've ridden close to 650-700km on my X01 RSV AIR so far.
And not a single time have I had battery issues compared to any Bosch system with similar battery sizes, could be me being fitter than those I ride with but I do not think the Shimano system is as bad as some people say.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I keep reading stuff good and bad about the Bullit and sometimes think I should go for a Kenevo, but I am sticking with the Bullit. Also the Shimano batteries are easier to change out and carry. For my size I think even with the Brose/700wh setup I might run out of battery compared to my lighter riding buddies, so for those big days just carry an extra battery and have 1260wh to work with.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
The bullit geo is quite unique. Mullet not too long chainstays 64 reasonable long reach 170mm ... good weight and nice (of course) leverage.

Theres no other ebike like this.. Norco Sight 29 is longer heavier and less travel. YT lacks battery and miss some travel. Commencal is full 29er, Ramson is heavier and longer. Other such Kenevo Norco Range Whyte Torque are 27.5 (im a 27.5 fan but we speak about mullet now) ... and again miss some of the bullit features. The whole package of the Bullit has no competition right now tho.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO the only bad thing about the Bullit is the price, its by far the lightest big travel enduro EMTB on the market - the Shimano system doesn't get the best range compared to others, but then again you buy a bike because of how it rides.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
And here’s where SC deserve props.
IMO the only bad thing about the Bullit is the price, its by far the lightest big travel enduro EMTB on the market - the Shimano system doesn't get the best range compared to others, but then again you buy a bike because of how it rides.

And here’s when SC deserve props. They think about performance not comfy for all. First ebike was 27.5 500wh now the Bullit even when mullet don’t add endless chainstays decent leverage you can choose between coil or air, Shimano batteries are standar but I bet they don’t wish at expense of weight ... is a radical machine? No. But they know what these bike are made for

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
And here’s where SC deserve props.

And here’s when SC deserve props. They think about performance not comfy for all. First ebike was 27.5 500wh for agility, now the Bullit even when mullet don’t add endless chainstays decent leverage you can choose between coil or air, Shimano batteries are standar but I bet they don’t wish more range at expense of weight ... and is a radical bike? No. But they know what these bike are made for

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
If this was a normal year don’t doubt it, the Bullit have won those “ebike of year” awards, either because truly deserve either SC marketing budget

JH_79

Feb 22, 2021
Squamish, BC
My new XL Lavender Bullit...
Bullit_1.JPG

Had to get an S-Build as no availability on XT Coil until July.

Upgrades are as follows:

Fox GRIP2 HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR damper in 38 fork + stealth decals
EXT Storia shock
TRP EVO-DH brakes with 223/200mm rotors
OneUp 210mm dropper post
OneUp STEPS chain guide
OneUp 34T chainring
OneUp Alloy pedals
OneUp EDC V2 tool in steerer tube
Ergon SM Pro saddle
Maxxis Minion DHR2 DH casing MaxxGrip rear tire
Cush Core XC front & rear
DT 370 rear hub upgraded to star ratchet internals
RRP fender

24kg/53lbs

Last edited:

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
View attachment 53868

Upgrades are as follows:

EXT Storia shock
OneUp 210mm dropper post
OneUp STEPS chain guide
OneUp 34T chainring
OneUp Alloy pedals
Ergon SM Pro saddle
RRP fender

24kg/53lbs
Sweet ride. ?

BullitMan

Jan 1, 2021
CA, USA
View attachment 53868

Upgrades are as follows:

EXT Storia shock
OneUp 210mm dropper post
OneUp STEPS chain guide
OneUp 34T chainring
OneUp Alloy pedals
Ergon SM Pro saddle
RRP fender

24kg/53lbs
How's the Storia feeling? The valve setup mine originally came with was overdamped even at full open. Still waiting for it to be sent back to me.

JH_79

Feb 22, 2021
Squamish, BC
How's the Storia feeling? The valve setup mine originally came with was overdamped even at full open. Still waiting for it to be sent back to me.

I’m really happy with it so far. It felt a little harsh on the first couple of rides, but now I am getting more comfortable on the bike & pushing harder it feels good. I might need to add some more HSC now.

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
Done 18 miles today with 2700ft of climbing in the Surrey hills with about 70% trail 15% eco 15% boost and had 3 bars battery left, don’t think that’s bad at all, I was more then happy with it. no worst then my 700wh kenevo.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
From what I read, with Shimano, 1 bar isn't equivalent of 20%. 3 bars means that you have 20-40% left (I don't know the exact number).

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Done 18 miles today with 2700ft of climbing in the Surrey hills with about 70% trail 15% eco 15% boost and had 3 bars battery left, don’t think that’s bad at all, I was more then happy with it. no worst then my 700wh kenevo.

Pretty much the same distance I did (29km) and 400 meters of climbing. Had 3 bars left as well. Very happy with these numbers.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
49 nm, ??‍♂️ That’s an eco setting.
I can get 20 miles out of mine on eco with 50 nm. I set trail at 70nm And can get around 18 miles with that set up. 600m elevation.
about 20% less distance than the Bosch set up

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
49 nm, ??‍♂️ That’s an eco setting.
I can get 20 miles out of mine on eco with 50 nm. I set trail at 70nm And can get around 18 miles with that set up. 600m elevation.
about 20% less distance than the Bosch set up
I don't feel like those riding Emtb on Bosch motors are pulling away from me at all :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles