Wow...YT pretty much sold out of all Decoy's

heysteve989

Jun 19, 2020
I was looking to order a Decoy Pro Race in XL and pretty much the only option is a base decoy in XL, almost everything is sold out. I messaged them about any more bikes becoming available and got a "maybe, hard to say...subscribe to our list" answer. I guess I could order a base model and spend the extra in upgrades, but that's not my first choice.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Go for the base. Some people have purposely gone for the base and then done some great upgrades. Check out some of the earlier posts on here.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I was looking to order a Decoy Pro Race in XL and pretty much the only option is a base decoy in XL, almost everything is sold out. I messaged them about any more bikes becoming available and got a "maybe, hard to say...subscribe to our list" answer. I guess I could order a base model and spend the extra in upgrades, but that's not my first choice.
What about the newly released Decoy Shred Spec, Carbon front with Ali rear and coil spring, its only just been released.

heysteve989

Jun 19, 2020
Yeah, I saw that. It's a possibility...just not sure ho much different it would ride vs the Decoy. Is it more of a downhill type setup like the Kenevo?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Yeah, I saw that. It's a possibility...just not sure ho much different it would ride vs the Decoy. Is it more of a downhill type setup like the Kenevo?
I'm not too sure as I haven't read the full reviews on Pinkbike or Singletrack, the weight is similar with a coil spring and Fox 38 front end.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
What about the newly released Decoy Shred Spec, Carbon front with Ali rear and coil spring, its only just been released.
That's crazy that they're sold out. I remember a few months back the outlet had 2019 Decoy bases for like $4,300.

I still think the Decoy 29er is the way to go. The Decoy mullet's bottom bracket is too low. Especially if you run Maxxis Double Down or DH casing tires (which you should) that don't come in 2.8 only 2.4/5, so you're lower than low. IMO, part of the fun of eMTB is doing rocky climbs you'd never do. Less travel feels more playful too, which is huge on eMTB. Comparing riding my Sight VLT 29 to my dad's Decoy mullet, the lower travel Sight VLT 29 is more fun up and down.

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Btw all Decoys are carbon front aluminum rear. That's crazy that they're sold out. I remember a few months back the outlet had 2019 Decoy bases for like $4,300.

I still think the Decoy 29er is the way to go. The Decoy mullet's bottom bracket is too low. Especially if you run Maxxis Double Down or DH casing tires (which you should) that don't come in 2.8 only 2.4/5, so you're lower than low. IMO, part of the fun of eMTB is doing rocky climbs you'd never do. Less travel feels more playful too, which is huge on eMTB. Comparing riding my Sight VLT 29 to my dad's Decoy mullet, the lower travel Sight VLT 29 is more fun up and down.
BTW, you're wrong, not all Decoys have aluminium rear, my Decoy Pro Race is FULL CARBON.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I have a XL base as I couldn't see the value in the extra £1,000. I actually prefer an aluminium rear end. SLX or XT is very similar IME or can be upgraded for very little. Now the 36 Fox are nice but I really like the Yari from a reliability / serviceability point of view, plus I think they are easier to upgrade to 160mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles