What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
Je n'ai fait que 1 km sur la route.
Je sens que c'est collant!
Je vais perdre mon autonomie avec cette gomme extra douce :)
Et de petits graviers qui heurtent le cadre (pneu d'aspiration)

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
If they last and they grip like I have read ill be more than happy at that price. A set for the bike is less than a front on my car
My rear eWild is starting to look quite worn after 10 weeks use and around 700 miles. Hadn’t really noticed until my neighbour picked up his new bike today with its nice sharp edges to the tyre knobbies. Mine are looking distinctly rounded.

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
My rear eWild is starting to look quite worn after 10 weeks use and around 700 miles. Hadn’t really noticed until my neighbour picked up his new bike today with its nice sharp edges to the tyre knobbies. Mine are looking distinctly rounded.

What kind of surfaces on those 700 miles? I was hoping for 1-1.5k, is that too ambitious?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
What kind of surfaces on those 700 miles? I was hoping for 1-1.5k, is that too ambitious?
Road and trail centre type stuff mostly. What’s hurting the rear is the off piste bits between the trails, a lot of which is downhill, steep, and loose shingle... some of which I end up dragging down.
I think 1000+ is perfectly feasible given the right conditions.

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Road and trail centre type stuff mostly. What’s hurting the rear is the off piste bits between the trails, a lot of which is downhill, steep, and loose shingle... some of which I end up dragging down.
I think 1000+ is perfectly feasible given the right conditions.

Thats reassuring, sounds just like what I need then

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Je n'ai fait que 1 km sur la route.
Je sens que c'est collant!
Je vais perdre mon autonomie avec cette gomme extra douce :)
Et de petits graviers qui heurtent le cadre (pneu d'aspiration)
Above ^^^^^
I only did 1 km on the road. I feel it's sticky! I will lose my autonomy with this extra soft eraser :) And small gravel hitting the frame (suction tire)

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Guys, I’m currently running a 2.8 e wild front tyre and a 2.8 maxxis rekon on the rear. The Michelin is an unbelievable tyre and want to get some more grip on the back. However, the ewild rear tyre weights almost 1.4kg. I want to go 2.6 on the back, can I put a Michelin wild enduro on the back ? I appreciate it’s not as rugged as the ewild version but does it measure up the same volume as the equivalent 2.6 ewild ? 400g weight saving and I’m sure it’s still tougher than the 800g maxxis currently in use

The Ewild 2.6 Rear is 1220g
I have the 2.6 back and front Ewild tyres and they felt average here in Australia but now that’s its winter and getting a bit wetter they feel a bit better. As soon as summer comes back around I’ll either go to 2.5 Maxxis or maybe the new Michelin line. I don’t think an Ebike being ridden even remotely hard should have tyres weighing less than 1200g (unless running inserts).

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
Pour avoir l'esprit tranquille ... Oui, vous avez raison.
Rien de pire qu'une sortie foirée. Vous pouvez conduire sale avec indifférence.
Mais pas trop lourd non plus ... J'ai plus de mal avec le lapin :rolleyes:

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I'm in a tyre quandary and would appreciate some opinions. Just bought an E-Sommet, my first e-bike, and enjoying it but it came with super sticky downhill tyres which I've taken off and temporarily fitted some old battered tyres off my analogue bike - Schwalbe MM Addix soft front and Schwalbe Rock Razor pacestar rear. Battery range is night/day different so I'm keen to get something fast rolling on there but can't decide what. With all this Covid going on I can't see much chance to get out to the Alps or even BPW so I think something more trail oriented for my local chilterns hills is order of the day. Its got 30mm rims and came with 2.6 tyres and I like the idea of keeping 2.6 to try out. The MM I have is already a little draggy and I think maybe a DHF is the tyre for the front but do I pair it with a Rock Razor or do I go for a Rekon or a Forecaster in 2.6 or maybe an SS in a narrower size... Or do I get a pair of Rekon's with the tougher casing on the rear but will that be sketchy?

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I'm in a tyre quandary and would appreciate some opinions. Just bought an E-Sommet, my first e-bike, and enjoying it but it came with super sticky downhill tyres which I've taken off and temporarily fitted some old battered tyres off my analogue bike - Schwalbe MM Addix soft front and Schwalbe Rock Razor pacestar rear. Battery range is night/day different so I'm keen to get something fast rolling on there but can't decide what. With all this Covid going on I can't see much chance to get out to the Alps or even BPW so I think something more trail oriented for my local chilterns hills is order of the day. Its got 30mm rims and came with 2.6 tyres and I like the idea of keeping 2.6 to try out. The MM I have is already a little draggy and I think maybe a DHF is the tyre for the front but do I pair it with a Rock Razor or do I go for a Rekon or a Forecaster in 2.6 or maybe an SS in a narrower size... Or do I get a pair of Rekon's with the tougher casing on the rear but will that be sketchy?

I’ve said it before and will say it again, Maxxis forekaster. Handle all conditions well, very light, and last. My current set has 2000 miles with a mix of all terrain in all weather and conditions. EXO TR.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I’ve said it before and will say it again, Maxxis forekaster. Handle all conditions well, very light, and last. My current set has 2000 miles with a mix of all terrain in all weather and conditions. EXO TR.

Maybe that's the tyre to try. Do the EXO casing hold up OK? Can't see that you can get them in EXO+

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
The EXOs are "a little" only reinforced on the sides ... Not the tread.
EXO + is the minimum on an E-Bike.
It's heavier and more expensive but avoids crying in the depths of the woods ... in the rain ... at nightfall with the wolves coming out :giggle:

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Changed to E-Wilds (27.5x2.8) from Hutchinson Taipan Koloss a while ago while we still had lot's of wet/sticky stuff around. Night and day!
Probably should have gone to 2.6 but being a hardtail went for comfort over control. Doh!

If there is any danger of a long, dry summer then I will stick the Taipans back on.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One of the good things about the E-Wilds is despite being heavy and built like a brick shit house, the rear is still fast rolling for this type of tyre - I previously had MM in DH casing on mine, and the bike felt like I had an anchor out bike on any fast rolling terrain.

For me I always go with the heaviest casing tyre, haven't had a puncture in two and a bit years of riding emts's and dont want to go back to having to deal with em.

The one thing I have noticed with the E-Wilds is they have kind of a slip zone in super dry conditions that are loose and gravely, when transferring between the middle and side knobs - I have had my front go, then re grip a few times as it transitions - not a problem when you get to know the tyre and adjust to it, but worth knowing.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Just ordered a DHF front in EXO and a Recon rear in EXO+ - hoping that combo will roll a little better than my MM soft and RR pacestar rear combo but still have some bite. Prefer the look of the forecaster but concerned I'll smash up the EXO casing in the rear. Coming into summer too and recon seems more appropriate for the conditions. Mostly used Schwalbe and Michelin so will be interested to try Maxxis again. Previously tried ardent which I hated, High Roller which was a bit meh but then the the Assegai which came on the bike were the most grippy and forgiving tyres I've ever ridden, just ridiculously draggy.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Just ordered a DHF front in EXO and a Recon rear in EXO+ - hoping that combo will roll a little better than my MM soft and RR pacestar rear combo but still have some bite. Prefer the look of the forecaster but concerned I'll smash up the EXO casing in the rear. Coming into summer too and recon seems more appropriate for the conditions. Mostly used Schwalbe and Michelin so will be interested to try Maxxis again. Previously tried ardent which I hated, High Roller which was a bit meh but then the the Assegai which came on the bike were the most grippy and forgiving tyres I've ever ridden, just ridiculously draggy.

Rite on, let us know how you like the setup.?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maxis Rekon's and Ikon's are both pretty horrible tyres for agressive riding simply because they lack decent edge knobs
if you like corneing hard on a stable edge and lean into turns properly but want a fast rolling rear tyre try a MINION SS (or slaughter, or rock razor). don't make the mistake of running them at low pressures though as you'll lose dtraightline rolling speed and the lovely drifty transition from leant over slightly to railing that nice edge.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes EXO hold up great. Same durability as the Maxxis DHF tires I’ve owned.

My EXO DHRII split right in the middle of the tread last week. I could actually put my little finger through the hole when I took it off!
Straight in the bin, and ordered a pair of Michelin Wild’s - which I fitted last night.

I’m on a 17.5kg Levo SL, so I didn’t see the need for the eWild. The Wild Rear feels much more robust than the DHRII did... but then it’s about 250g heavier. (and 2.4 instead of 2.3).

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I couldn’t stand the DHRII’s that I’ve ridden on demo bikes. S-L-O-W draggy and felt heavy. DHF up front I really liked tho.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Maxis Rekon's and Ikon's are both pretty horrible tyres for agressive riding simply because they lack decent edge knobs
if you like corneing hard on a stable edge and lean into turns properly but want a fast rolling rear tyre try a MINION SS (or slaughter, or rock razor). don't make the mistake of running them at low pressures though as you'll lose dtraightline rolling speed and the lovely drifty transition from leant over slightly to railing that nice edge.

I suspect you’re probably right. Mostly I like the rock razor but it’s those transitions at speed when the bike isn’t yet completely kicked over that can feel a bit sketchy. Maybe the rekon will just be sketchy the whole time! Being new to this e-bike thing I’m learning about what the best balance is between range and grip

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Embrace the sketch...
On modern agressive semi slicks like I've mentioned the drift zone you're referring to as sketchy is actually massively predictable... and very very controllable and if you're riding correctly you always have those reasurring sideknobs to bail you out anyway.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Maybe I’ve just had bad luck with maxxis but with my experience with the brand I’m surprised they are so popular,I’ve had many wobbly carcasses from new on bikes or what I’ve bought and not just a little wobble..a buckled wheel wobble,I’ve warped them on the trail split two and they were double downs..TBH I don’t think I’ve ever actually worn one out yet?my assegai dd on the front of my meta and a dd aggressor I’ve got on the back of the hardtail are the only ones doing ok

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Hi Team!

I thought I'd share my endorsement for the Maxxis Aggressor as a rear tire.

After I killed my DHF in the rear, I wanted something a little faster rolling and better wearing yet durable and able to take the hits. I landed on a 2.5 wide Double Down casing with a dual compound.

I've been it running for a month and riding it daily and it still looks new. It rolls much faster than the DHF, DHR and Assegai (yeah duh) but isn't miles behind in terms of grip either. The side knobs are not that different from the DH tires and grip is very predictable on loose corners. Even on roots the tire holds well, I put this down to the tight spacing of the knobs and the overall amount of rubber that contacts your riding surface. I haven't ridden wet/mud yet but I'm guessing this is probably where the Aggressors weakness will start to surface.

Summary: Fast with adequate grip on a range of surfaces. A perfect choice for enduro racing!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm kind of limited because of sizing. My bike came with 29x2.5 on front and 27.5x2.6 on rear. I really like that combo - they were both high volume type tyres which I also like. My choice is assegai exo maxterra wt front. Summer rear is dhf dual compound wt exo, winter is dhrII dual compound wt exo. The dhf rolls well and is a great all rounder on the rear (high volume too). Dual compound is the hardest maxxis has in these. The assegai 3c maxterra on the front is the 2nd softest. Exo is fairly basic sidewall protection - I ride in rocky steep country, but I'm not a hard rider and these are tough enough and provide enough grip. The dhrII is just better at clearing mud / clay - it never gets clogged - although it isn't particularly muddy here.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Maybe I’ve just had bad luck with maxxis but with my experience with the brand I’m surprised they are so popular,I’ve had many wobbly carcasses from new on bikes or what I’ve bought and not just a little wobble..a buckled wheel wobble,I’ve warped them on the trail split two and they were double downs..TBH I don’t think I’ve ever actually worn one out yet?my assegai dd on the front of my meta and a dd aggressor I’ve got on the back of the hardtail are the only ones doing ok
Mine have some wobble. The continentals on my acoustic bike too. So long as my wheels are straight :). I don't have any bad wobble, although that is subjective. If it was a road bike I'd be concerned. With all the rocks around here, it isn't really an issue.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles