What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
So I’ve used only Specialized plus sized tyres, 3.0 Pergatory and 2.8 Butcher. Butchers seem quite a bit stiffer, less corner roll. Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres and will be interesting to see what we can get in the 2.8 sizes in the future. With EMTB’s gaining popularity I’m sure we will see an ever growing selection of plus-sized rubber :LOL:

View attachment 1143
Riding a Vitus Esommet VR 2019. I've tried out most of the high end tyres out there from Maxxis, Schwalbe with their best rubber....also tried the not very good Butcher's if you are into aggressive riding. I have been recently riding the Schwalbe Current Eddy front and back and they are made specifically for front and back. They are quoted as 2.8 but are actually smaller than some 2.5's out there. Anyway I've been riding them a couple of months and they have been a game changer on the ebike, great plenty of grip, surprisingly good rolling resistance and little wear so far....they are great all round tyres and I have been punishing them in all sorts of difficult terrain from big jumps and drops to ploughing through rough, steep rocky terrain. I ride Magic Mary orange stripe on my Yeti SB6C acoustic bike which are great but wore out way too quick on the ebike.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Is the Michelin E-Wild a different tyre from the E-Wild Gum X ?
Or is it just how they are listed on the various webpages...?

cheers

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
Is the Michelin E-Wild a different tyre from the E-Wild Gum X ?
Or is it just how they are listed on the various webpages...?

cheers
I wish I had read this before I bought the 2.6 Ewild front and back tyres. I mean they are great tyres if you just want to ride and you’re not pushing 100% on the DH stuff but if you’re riding loose over hard or hard pack like here in Australia and like to ride hard then the Ewilds are vague and squirm when pushed hard. Prior to the Ewilds I had the 2.4 WildEnduro back and front in Gumx compound and since they are still in my shed I’ll be putting them back on. I only wish they were a bit bigger in volume.
Might try a DHF DD Maxgrip 2.5 on the front or DH casing and maybe put the 2.4 Wild enduro on the back. I Think around 1.1-1.2kg is optimism weight/stiffness for a Ebike. I still think to date the super gravity magic Mary was my favourite feeling casing on an analog bike anyway.

5DDF1AD0-8794-47BB-8B42-C7623A2F6DE0.png

3E8F1801-55E8-4D92-9FDD-8ABFD61C9437.jpeg

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
As summer's about here and the ground drying up I thought I'd try some new rubber. Been running E-wilds 27.5 x 2.6 and there great, bags of grip and rock solid. Never had a puncture or gash.
So as I am in the wolds in Lincolnshire there is nothing demanding so I should be ok with my new choice, I'm actually hoping to slip about and make it more interesting!! Another aim is to hopefully gain a touch more mileage out of the battery, currently 32 miles is a very good run. Anyway tyres,

Front-Schwalbe Nobby evo Apex TLE speedgrip 27.5 x 2.6
Rear- Schwalbe Rock Razor evo Apex tle speedgrip snakeskin 27.5 x 2.6

Lost about 400g over the e-wilds, looking forward to a sketchy blast on them :D

20200421_135609.jpg
20200421_135620.jpg
20200421_135647.jpg

Axelnose

Oct 30, 2019
Adelaide Australia
I’m really thinking of changing my 2.6 Ewild setup and going
front2.5 DD DHF max grip
Rear 2.5 DD Agressor or dhr
I didn’t know they still did a Super gravity casing. The old gold label 2.35 magic Mary SG was my all time favourite tyre.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Been very happy with the Maxxis forekaster 29 x 2.35 exo tr 735 grams that came stock on my BMC speedfox amp. So much so that I just ordered another to replace the rear. Great in all conditions and light so slower drain on the battery.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Been very happy with the Maxxis forekaster 29 x 2.35 exo tr 735 grams that came stock on my BMC speedfox amp. So much so that I just ordered another to replace the rear. Great in all conditions and light so slower drain on the battery.
Are they Exo or Exo+ Looking to change my tires but can't decide if I need Exo or Exo+. About a tenner a tyre difference, both still TPI120, I'm not an especially hard rider and would like the lighter tyre.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Are they Exo or Exo+ Looking to change my tires but can't decide if I need Exo or Exo+. About a tenner a tyre difference, both still TPI120, I'm not an especially hard rider and would like the lighter tyre.

They are standard exo. Quite rocky where I ride and they’ve held up extremely well. Good volume on 30mm wide rims. Great profile.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hey amigos!

Wich are the best braking traction tires out there that I can fit both front and rear? Im going to spend a lot of this season on bikeparks that I never ride before so it’s going fast and unknow trails

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
I feel the EXO folds under the torque of a Levo turbo on hard cornering. Switching to EXO+ solved it.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Guys, I’m currently running a 2.8 e wild front tyre and a 2.8 maxxis rekon on the rear. The Michelin is an unbelievable tyre and want to get some more grip on the back. However, the ewild rear tyre weights almost 1.4kg. I want to go 2.6 on the back, can I put a Michelin wild enduro on the back ? I appreciate it’s not as rugged as the ewild version but does it measure up the same volume as the equivalent 2.6 ewild ? 400g weight saving and I’m sure it’s still tougher than the 800g maxxis currently in use

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Hey amigos!

Wich are the best braking traction tires out there that I can fit both front and rear? Im going to spend a lot of this season on bikeparks that I never ride before so it’s going fast and unknow trails

For dry dusty conditions you might want to consider Assegai EXO + 2.6 front and rear.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Reception today 2 tyres :cool:
1480 g :LOL:

View attachment 30426
Great choice. I was going to say you left the bontrager g5 off your chart. I like the g5 better than a minion dhf and thats nit a slag on the dhf. Those michelin dh's are going to be "the" tire thiugh. I keep checking chain reaction for some but theyve yet to recieve any. CRC are good with shipping to canada

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
J'y vais tranquillement.
Je viens de les monter. Montage facile (avec la méthode du liquide vaisselle)
Je les ai gonflés à 40 PSI pour qu'ils s'étendent bien cette nuit (62 mm ERTRO) et en 2 heures ils n'ont pas perdu de pression! Sans avoir encore pris le préventif:cool:
Je teste demain si le soleil ..... Mais je n'ai pas beaucoup de notes (Just XR4 2.8 "et Aggessor 2.5")
Pas trop de mode Turbo avec des gommes ultra douces :rolleyes:

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Looking at getting the e-wilds in a 2.6 seeing as there on offer atm. My only concern is my rims aren't tubeless, and I'm not looking to change yet, but can I still run these with tubes?

I know the pros and cons about tubeless v tubes

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Would you take these over the Rekon's?

Yes. I really like the widely spaced knobs of the forekaster. I ride them in all conditions year round, snow, rain, mud, dusty dry, loose. They shed the nasty stuff super well. I ride 10 miles round trip on pavement from home to ride trail every day and they fly on the road and I’ve had my current set on for 6 months. I’ve got a freshy for the rear that I’ll put on this week.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Looking at getting the e-wilds in a 2.6 seeing as there on offer atm. My only concern is my rims aren't tubeless, and I'm not looking to change yet, but can I still run these with tubes?

Go split tube/ghetto tubeless. It works great!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter

The eWilds are great tyres and will run fine on tubes.
Where are they on offer?

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
PF said ref DH 22 (translation)

I go there quietly. I just mounted them. Easy assembly (with the dishwashing liquid method) I inflated them to 40 PSI so that they stretch well this night (62 mm ERTRO) and in 2 hours they did not lose pressure! Without having taken the preventive yet: cool: I test tomorrow if the sun ..... But I don't have a lot of notes (Just XR4 2.8 "and Aggessor 2.5") Not too much Turbo mode with ultra soft erasers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles