Weight a minute……

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Got my M20 today and instantly in love with it! However, after a lot of reading about the Rise, I was expecting the weight of it to be around 18kg give or take so when I weighed it, I was surprised to see that it’s 19.9kg!! I have carbon bars to go on and tubeless tyres to sort out but I’m really surprised at the weight. It’s still 6kg lighter than my outgoing Focus but I was really hoping for it to be a couple kg’s under 20 If only for the option of sticking o the roof rack.

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Mr and my friend were a bit surprised to weigh our M10’s in. His an L with AXS post and gears comes in at 19.5kg. Mine an M with slightly lighter wheels and a One up dropper is just over 19kg.
I can’t figure out how having a 34 factory fork, a DPS shock, Fox dropper, XTR stuff and lighter wheels gets that down by 2.5kg to M-LtD weight of 16.5kg.
However, when you ride this on some good stuff, you’ll not notice that you’re on an ebike, it’s incredible and if it’s on an XC with fences to get over, it’s not bad at all. I was shocked when I rode this on fast berms, so awesome.
I may need up with a 34 fork, I’m not heavy, have Pikes on one bike and 34 stepcasts on the others, not sure I really need a 36, but for 250-300g saving, not sure it’s worth bothering with.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021
Wales
I’ve just wrapped my bike and I’ll be swapping out some stuff but what I’m most interested in is the 34’s weight. I have a set of Rockshox domains that I haven’t long bought and even though considered a downgrade, if they’re lighter, they’ll be going on.
I can’t really complain about the weight. 6kg’s Is a lot and I’ll be losing a stone in weight so that’s more beneficial than lighter components and cheaper 🤣

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Domains are one of the heaviest single crown forks you can buy.
They're basically a budget Zeb so also have massive 38mm stanchions but use a cheaper heavier CSU and more basic damper.
Swap them for the 34w on your Rise and it'll bump up the bike's overall weight to close to 21kg.

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Domains are one of the heaviest single crown forks you can buy.
They're basically a budget Zeb so also have massive 38mm stanchions but use a cheaper heavier CSU and more basic damper.
Swap them for the 34w on your Rise and it'll bump up the bike's overall weight to close to 21kg.
There’s a really naive part of me that hopes you’re wrong but I know the outcome before I even try 😔 The only reason I would like to try is purely for the fact that I bought the domains a month ago for my Focus Jam, used them twice and then the focus had to be sent back because of an issue the shop couldn’t resolve, hence the Rise. I really liked the domains and they looked really nice on the Jam. I have weighed them already and they’re coming in at about 2.5kg. They’re pretty heavy 😔

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If looks and weight are more important to you than performance or stiffness/strength and you want a lightweight fork that "looks" like a domain get a Revelation.
and sell your Domain to someone who wants a fork that "looks" like a Zeb ;)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whilst you think about weight ( because you bought a bike whose main claim to fame was its lightweight) you should also consider the balance between sprung and unsprung weight which has a far greater impact on kinematics than overall weight. Other factors are the location of the centre of mass , especially in terms of height above the bb, and the weight balance front to rear. Overall weight impacts on initial acceleration ( heavier = slower), grip ( application of weight on the 2 tyre contact patches/ taking account of tyre width), momentum ( heavier = greater once intial intertia is overcome), speed ( heavier likely to be faster downhill), stability ( depends on other factors but likely more stable if heavier), agility ( likely more agile if lighter).

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
I’ve had my first ride on the Rise today and even at 20kg, I’m very surprised on how light and nimble it feels! Even peddling with the motor off was surprising! Very, very impressive bike! I’ll be keeping the 34’s too! Not sure why almost everyone swaps them out for 36’s??

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Any chance you can measure your BB height with the 34’s? Floor to middle of crank bolt.
Orbea’s website shows the same 336mm for both the 34 and 36.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Got my M20 today and instantly in love with it! However, after a lot of reading about the Rise, I was expecting the weight of it to be around 18kg give or take so when I weighed it, I was surprised to see that it’s 19.9kg!! I have carbon bars to go on and tubeless tyres to sort out but I’m really surprised at the weight. It’s still 6kg lighter than my outgoing Focus but I was really hoping for it to be a couple kg’s under 20 If only for the option of sticking o the roof rack.
I think your scale might be wrong. I have never heard a stock m20 being anywhere close to that weight. 250g of it is inner tubes though but that is at least still 1kg too heavy.

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
I think your scale might be wrong. I have never heard a stock m20 being anywhere close to that weight. 250g of it is inner tubes though but that is at least still 1kg too heavy.
I did buy a cheap set of scales off Amazon and that was my thoughts but I’ve weighed a 20kg dumb bell in the gym and it’s pretty accurate 🤷🏻‍♂️

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
I find bike weight is only felt when you end up pushing it up a muddy hill having bailed out - then it feels twice the weight. Couple that with useless walk-mode of a Shimano E7000 motor, as on my bike, and its annoying to say the least.

Why is walk-mode so useless? (Shimano E7000)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
And your mx bike is a featherweight compared to my car and just as relevant a comparison… 🙄

I can see why @Gary has no patience sometimes.
That subjective
Go on then, indulge me. How is a heavier bicycle more enjoyable to ride than a lighter bicycle?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Weight is dependent on the intended usage for the machine. My 120/130 xc/trail bike weighs 28lbs, my 170mm enduro race bike/park bike weighs 36lbs and my rise weighs 45lbs. Quite frankly, the weight of each bike is not what I notice when I'm riding them and each of them weighs appropriately for their intended usage. I wouldn't want my trail bike to be any heavier then it is and in contrast, I wouldn't want my enduro bike to be any lighter then it is. The weight of my enduro sled keeps it stable at mach chicken speeds. It uses double down tires, cushcore and coil suspension front and rear. As a result, it is incredibly confidence inspiring at speed and doesn't flinch at all when I come up short or make bad life choices on it. Interestingly, my enduro sled rides almost exactly like my rise with a 10lb difference. The only time I notice the weight difference, is when I'm loading the bike up, or I'm trying to bunny hop a log at a walking pace.

Ultimately, weight settles the machine and provided it's un-sprung weight, it can actually improve suspension performance in some aspects. I digress, in certain circumstances, lighter is better for sure... but there are limits. I absolutely wouldn't want my rise to be any lighter if it means less capable tires, less stout rims, or less suspension performance. That would be one of many reasons, it would be worth it to take the 1.5lb hit to run a 36/floatX instead of a 34 and dps.

One last comment... A 24oz/700ml water bottle weighs 1.5lbs/.7kg. I am incredibly sensitive to bike setup, more so then most anyone I ride with regularly. There is absolutely no way, I can tell the difference in how my bike rides with a full water bottle vs none. To that point, no... 1kg of sprung mass, does not make a difference to how a bike rides.

Reactions: jka

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Kilograms. Plural.

FWIW, I can notice the difference on my KSL with and without the range extender which is (I think) 1.6KG...
The difference between my Rail and my KSL is even more marked.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I shaved off 6 grams by switching all of the screws and bolts on the bike to titanium and an additional 5 grams by filling the tires with helium. Then I ate a double cheeseburger with bacon and fries and gained 4 pounds. Titanium and helium = $250. One cheeseburger $7. I think it's cheaper and more effective for me to skip the cheeseburger.
Just messing with all the weight weenie comments going on here. Just ride the dang bike and have fun. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles