Water/winter proof flat pedal shoes

Billyc

Jun 21, 2020
Chichester
Wondering if anyone has come across decent, water proof, flat pedal shoes. Was pretty wet today in the Surrey Hills, managed to stay dry top and bottom but my feet were soaked. Riding in leather five ten free riders. Can’t seem to find any good gore tex flat pedal shoes without going all out hiking boot style which look a bit clunky. Any suggestions recommended.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Wondering if anyone has come across decent, water proof, flat pedal shoes. Was pretty wet today in the Surrey Hills, managed to stay dry top and bottom but my feet were soaked. Riding in leather five ten free riders. Can’t seem to find any good gore tex flat pedal shoes without going all out hiking boot style which look a bit clunky. Any suggestions recommended.

I bought a pair of these from Englebert Strauss PPE & workwear supplies. Great grip on the peddles, and really good for keeping your feet dry. Only parts that get wet is what comes in at the top. But your going to get that with any footwear. Check out there website. ?

2A35F38B-A327-4565-9F21-041B1FD6E732.jpeg

D1F03EC1-A205-4226-B79B-B058D9EB528D.jpeg

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I don't like waterproof shoes because you always end with water stuck inside the shoes on big days.

Better keep your five ten shoes and buy a pair of sealskin waterproof knee length socks like these ones:

Till now that's my best combo combined with five ten trailcross (the trailcross drain the water very quickly).

I often get through puddles/rivers and always come back with dry foots home even with submersion till middle of the knee.
Then the rain is not a problem anymore ;)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...but leather is waterproof if it is treated with a good shoe polish. To be waterproof you really need something with good ankle closure, so typically a boot rather than a shoe. I use the leather 5-10 EPS boots in the winter and my feet stay dry. I am sceptical about shoes/boots with mesh or part mesh uppers even if they supposedly have some type of waterproof liner...even Goretex. I have over the years tried numerous boots for dog walking across wet and muddy fields etc and even the Goretex lined ones let in water unless the upper is constantly washed and treated with Nikwax, meaning the Goretex itself does very little.......except, in terms of the brands I have tried, Saloman which have stayed completely waterproof with minimal treatment of the uppers. So I suspect it really depends how the Goretex ( or other) liner is integrated into the shoe or boot. I came to the conclusion in the end that ( apart from my Salomans) the best bet is a heavy quality leather well polished.....or wellington boots!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The weakness with ALL waterproof shoes and boots is that they have holes, the holes where the feet go in. I find that with boots or wellies you lose all sense of contact with the pedals. If I were going on a long cross country ride with streams, deep grass, snow and such like I might be persuaded to wear higher boots combined with gaiters but for my main riding it just seems clunky and impractical. Shoes that are water resistant, treated leather for example,and easily cleaned combined with waterproof socks is the way to go for me. I have 5.10 Freeriders which soak up water like a sponge and take for ever to dry out and I'm sure that constant soaking and drying is not good for their longevity.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had a pair of Shimano MW7 boots converted to have a Five Ten dotty sole.
I’ve ridden a few times in them now, and the results are really good.
Great grip, and about 95% waterproof. Still a bit of a leak round the Boa area, but I’m wearing Seal Skin socks underneath - so feet are still dry.

3F3E0968-C5F0-4218-B121-3B9902F2718C.jpeg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
That's an excellent looking solution if you happen to already have the shoes. I don't understand why manufacturers don't produce something like that as an alternative. There is obviously a demand.

Billyc

Jun 21, 2020
Chichester
Great grip, and about 95% waterproof. Still a bit of a leak round the Boa area, but I’m wearing Seal Skin socks underneath - so feet are still dry.

View attachment 42125
Looks pretty good, don’t think you’ll get better than that without compromising ride feel. Thanks

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
What has worked for me is using overshoes over my five tens. Endura do a flat specific overshoe - MT500 plus overshoe 2. I've just come back from the Mendips and it was very wet up there and my shoes and feet were dry and I rode through every puddle I could find. You will get a little mud creep up the side of the shoes from where the gap for the pedal is, but not enough to make your feet or the top/inside of the shoe wet. I also wear waterproof socks for extra layer of protection which I haven't needed yet. Best part is not having to sort out wet shoes when you get home, such a ballache.

If you do look at them you'll need to buy a few sizes up. I'm 9.5 and I had to buy the XL to fit properly which is different to Enduras size guide. I'd say if your feet are much bigger than that you'll struggle to make them fit.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Looks pretty good, don’t think you’ll get better than that without compromising ride feel. Thanks

Just pick a pair of hideous looking Shimano or Northwave boots that tickle your fancy, and send them to LSR to have a dotty sole.

Certainly not a cheap option, but definitely worth the warm / dry feet for the Scottish winters in my opinion.

Shame no one makes these straight out of the box. Five Ten could make a killing from a GoreTex winter specific boot... however they probably don’t fit in with their target audience’s “style”!

I don’t care what mine look like if they’re doing a specific job. Don’t see many people I know when I’m riding round manky forests!!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I bought some M-L because the web site said they fitted up to size 8.5. I'm size 8 and I cannot get them on at all. I've even resorted to levering with a flat blade at the back but to no avail.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

View attachment 42125

where did you get these done and at what cost please.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
...but leather is waterproof if it is treated with a good shoe polish. To be waterproof you really need something with good ankle closure, so typically a boot rather than a shoe. I use the leather 5-10 EPS boots in the winter and my feet stay dry. I am sceptical about shoes/boots with mesh or part mesh uppers even if they supposedly have some type of waterproof liner...even Goretex. I have over the years tried numerous boots for dog walking across wet and muddy fields etc and even the Goretex lined ones let in water unless the upper is constantly washed and treated with Nikwax, meaning the Goretex itself does very little.......except, in terms of the brands I have tried, Saloman which have stayed completely waterproof with minimal treatment of the uppers. So I suspect it really depends how the Goretex ( or other) liner is integrated into the shoe or boot. I came to the conclusion in the end that ( apart from my Salomans) the best bet is a heavy quality leather well polished.....or wellington boots!
Is that 378gm each or for a pair?
Thats for the pair. Really good shoe for the money. There base layers & waterproof jackets & trousers look good too. Might need to invest in some for winter.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
where did you get these done and at what cost please.

A company called LSR online. I think it’s Lancashire Sports Repairs from memory?
Fitting the sole was £45, plus I paid an extra £15 to have it done in a week rather than wait in the 6 week queue. Cost me about £7 to post to them, plus there was about £7 postage too.

All in all, I was about £210 for the boots and conversion.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
A company called LSR online. I think it’s Lancashire Sports Repairs from memory?
Fitting the sole was £45, plus I paid an extra £15 to have it done in a week rather than wait in the 6 week queue. Cost me about £7 to post to them, plus there was about £7 postage too.

All in all, I was about £210 for the boots and conversion.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Ok, rather than spend £210, could you not buy a cheap pair of five tens and stick a waterproof oversock on them and cut the bottoms out if required? Be half the price wouldn’t it?
My experience following several attempts with overshoes is that they will not stay on except under the most benign conditions e.g. pootling down the road. The Endura MT500 ones look promising but I can't get a pair rated to size 8.5 onto a size 8 shoe.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
My experience following several attempts with overshoes is that they will not stay on except under the most benign conditions e.g. pootling down the road. The Endura MT500 ones look promising but I can't get a pair rated to size 8.5 onto a size 8 shoe.

I’ve been the king of money spunking in the last month but man.....I love these mw5 but £210 .....pfffff

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
These have worked very well for me. I have the earlier version (pre-BOA). Warm and dry, even on slushy winter rides.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
These have worked very well for me. I have the earlier version (pre-BOA). Warm and dry, even on slushy winter rides.

Are they heavy, look abit bulky.....you’d think there would be a cheap waterproof then send to convert. Seems whenever ‘cycle’ is added to the title it doubles in price....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles