Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Great that Specialized offers 4 years warranty on the motors.
Unfortunate for me Specialized don't honor their promise of 4 year warranty in my case for some reason.

My 2020 Turbo Levo comp was bought 20241121. The odometer is at 1220 km and have according to my local Specialized store a broken motor.

The motor spins long after I stop paddling, around 2-3 seconds.

So far I have had three accidents due to this “feature”.
I would really like to have this fixed, don't dare use the bike for now.

Any advice on how to get specialized to honor their warranty?
Or how did you succeed?

Best regards alvess
So did you just buy a 20 levo just now ?. If it's 4 years old even though u just bought it that could be the reason. Was it new

alvess

Sep 11, 2024
Sweden
What was the date of purchase? I dont understand 20241121!
-Oh, it's should be date of purchase year 2020 month november date 21

Was it bought new or second hand..private sale or from a dealer?
-New from a dealer

Potential reasons for refusing warranty:-
No proof of original purchase date if bought second hand
-Original proof of purchase date was shown to Specialized.

The motor in the bike is not the original motor
-It is the original motor.

The motor casing has been opened ( for repair)
-Only by Specialized own personnel.

The overrun this motor have is dangerous.
We also have an Levo SL that works like a sharm.

Maybe the 4 year warranty is not valid in EU?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Have you referred them to the pdf that was sent out regarding the warranty extension?

What reason have they given for refusing to help?

alvess

Sep 11, 2024
Sweden
Have you referred them to the pdf that was sent out regarding the warranty extension?

What reason have they given for refusing to help?

Yes I showed the local Specialized dealer the PDF. The claim was sent to "central Specialized" they were the ones that rejected the claim.

I asked for a reason. The answer was just rejected.
I asked a second time for more details. No answer as of yet.

alvess

Sep 11, 2024
Sweden
My motor always spins on but not as long as 4 seconds , but today it did for 2 seconds at least and has done that before. They have all done that really and I'm on number 4 . Never caused an accident but it could if it happened at the wrong time and place. Good luck.

The wrong time have happened to me three times.
1. Cut the back of my calf when the pedal continued to spin.
2. Cycled carefully up a slippery boulder, the motor decided to give it full beans.
Hit my elbow chin and side.
3. Uphill in a technical section, motor engaged fully and did not stop.
Landed on my back and left elbow. My left heel got stuck between the rear frame and the pedal arm.
Still hurts.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mmmm....curious. You say the motor was opened by Specialized, Normally a dealer has no authority to open a motor so when did that happen and why.
I assume the motor was not fitted with any derestriction device???

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mmmm....curious. You say the motor was opened by Specialized, Normally a dealer has no authority to open a motor so when did that happen and why.
I assume the motor was not fitted with any derestriction device???
Overrun can be implemented by firmware. Note how recently that facility was added to the Shimano EP801 motor by a firmware update. I assume it can also happen if the main sprag bearing is mechanically slow to release or if the torque sensor is wrongly calibrated. Did the dealer try re flashing the firmware?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The wrong time have happened to me three times.
1. Cut the back of my calf when the pedal continued to spin.
2. Cycled carefully up a slippery boulder, the motor decided to give it full beans.
Hit my elbow chin and side.
3. Uphill in a technical section, motor engaged fully and did not stop.
Landed on my back and left elbow. My left heel got stuck between the rear frame and the pedal arm.
Still hurts.
Excessive motor run-on can be caused by a mechanical issues too. It can start to rear it's head when the crankshaft starts getting a little tight in the sprocket carrier (torque sensor). This is normally a relatively easy fix.

On slippery surfaces most ebike motors cannot react fast enough to apply power, calculate that the wheel is accelerating faster than the pedals and then stop everything before it's too late.

Although from wheelspin to face plant happens in less than a second and the microprocessors are calculating the motors parameters at over 100,000 times per second, once Newtons law has been put into motion, you're going down!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Overrun can be implemented by firmware. Note how recently that facility was added to the Shimano EP801 motor by a firmware update. I assume it can also happen if the main sprag bearing is mechanically slow to release or if the torque sensor is wrongly calibrated. Did the dealer try re flashing the firmware?
You know what they say when someone talks to themselves ☺️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles