R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They should be on the latest update, as they have to configure the bike when putting it together.

The freeze that some people get has nothing to do with logging on to the app, and changing settings, just when updating it has happened to some people.

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
I have been looking at spare parts to buy at Wiggle and get the 12% discount. IT seems that there are no specific E-bike chains there.
Would a standard 114 link 11-speed chain (KMC X11) be suitable for the 2019 E.sommet?
How many links does the 2019 E-sommet chain have?
Thanks

Last edited:

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Checked mine and found everything up to date:

Motor: DU-E8000 Ver 4.6.0 (Latest)
Display: SC-E8000 Ver 4.0.7 (Latest)
E-Tube Project Ver 3.3.3 (Android)
Bluetooth LE Ver 4.1.2.0 (Android)

As for people bricking their motor/display during updates then i'd suggest you keep your device active during the flash and close all background tasks and turn of stuff like bluetooth to your watch and other devices etc and make the device/Steps the only active Bluetooth connection.

Not seen a bricked bike but if it was the motor you should still be able to connect and it would surely give you a motor error so probably it's bricking the display?... easy way to test would be to connect another display and see if that works. Also you would assume that as bricking is a possibility there should be a recovery option.. at a guess bricking the display will kill the Bluetooth so a physical connection would then be required so I suspect to recover you need the adaptor + PC software.. sure they dealers will have a recovery option for bricked systems so maybe it would require their "upgraded" software to recover?

Maybe its best to update in a specific order and not allow the software to update both motor and display at the same time?

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
I have been looking at spare parts to buy at Wiggle and get the 12% discount. IT seems that there are no specific E-bike chains there.
Would a standard 114 link 11-speed chain (KMC X11) be suitable for the 2019 E.sommet?
Thanks
Got this response from Vitus:
"The KMC E10 chain has 136 links with a pin length of 5.88mm and a weight of 321g."

The KMC e10 is a 10-speed chain, according to KMC website, but the E-sommet has a 11-speed derailleur, isn't it supposed to have a 11-speed chain?. I don't understand...

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks

IIRC 114 links will cover a 36T ring and upto 46T largest sprocket
118 links are required if you run a 50T largest sprocket cassette

No matter what manufacturers claim and would like you to believe. There's no such thing as an Ebike specific chain.
Nothing has changed with regards to chain pitch, width, chain plate thickness or roller design and no manufacturer is suddenly specing stronger more durable individual chain parts just because of the introduction of Ebikes.
My advice would be to just buy a decent quality standard 11spd chain, look after it and try not to shift under load.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its actually a very simple bike to work on, once you have got your head round it - the cable routing issues tend to be down to the fact that they are probably not put together with the time you or I would take by CRC, so the cables/hoses tend to be shoved in rather than nicely placed though, so to speak

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Took my LARGE E Sommet VR 2019 into Invisiframe so the LARGE kit is now available to buy on the site. Talking with the owner size SMALL should be available soon, this will only leave the XL without a template.

E-SOMMET ALUMINIUM 2019

I also got the forks done while it was in with them.

chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales
My size SMALL is going in to INVISIFRAME on the 9th to get the frame and forks done, it's going to be a LONG wait until them !!!

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I suppose it's really tempting to ride it but ultimately IMO it's much less hassle to wait.

When you leave your bike Chrisr also leave the key in the battery or take it off as the wrap extends under the battery. They do a really great job and on a black bike it's very hard to tell its wrapped, they even coat the rocker arms...

If you use Google to find it then it sends you further up the hill from Invisiframe and has you turn into a driveway with 2 houses.. this isn't correct and it's opposite the Village hall in Condover with a name plate "The Laurels" on the brick wall drive entrance.

andyb90

Dec 19, 2018
Marchwiel
I suppose it's really tempting to ride it but ultimately IMO it's much less hassle to wait.

When you leave your bike Chrisr also leave the key in the battery or take it off as the wrap extends under the battery. They do a really great job and on a black bike it's very hard to tell its wrapped, they even coat the rocker arms...

If you use Google to find it then it sends you further up the hill from Invisiframe and has you turn into a driveway with 2 houses.. this isn't correct and it's opposite the Village hall in Condover with a name plate "The Laurels" on the brick wall drive entrance.
Took me driving round the village a few times to find it.

chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales

Thanks

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
I don't get this Invisiframe thing... It's a mountain bike! Its role in life is to be slung around on rough terrain... It's going to get duffed up!
Furthermore, if scratches bother you so much, getting the frame custom powder coated is cheaper than Invisiframe.

I prefer to protect the more vulnerable mechanical and electrical parts... Like guards in winter to stop the Peak District's finest grit (literally) from hammering the fork, shock and seat post.

Loving this bike... Can't believe how good it is

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
My bike arrived a couple days ago - can't wait to test it out at Cwmcarn tomorrow.
I think the medium was the right size to go for but will decide tomorrow when on a proper trail.

A couple questions - this was in the bike box but I cant find where it might need to go - any ideas?
IMG_0195.jpg

Also, Is this normal for the left side - none of the other bolt are like this?
image1.jpeg

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I don't get this Invisiframe thing... It's a mountain bike! Its role in life is to be slung around on rough terrain... It's going to get duffed up!
Furthermore, if scratches bother you so much, getting the frame custom powder coated is cheaper than Invisiframe.

I prefer to protect the more vulnerable mechanical and electrical parts... Like guards in winter to stop the Peak District's finest grit (literally) from hammering the fork, shock and seat post.

Loving this bike... Can't believe how good it is

Some people just like to protect their frames a bit more to keep them looking fresh and help resale value. I think it makes less sense to cover an Al frame than it does for a Carbon frame and at the Vitus price point of the E Sommet your edging into the "not worth it" bracket for many.

Things like CC grade Carbon frames are not that abrasion resistant so reducing the chance of a scuff breaching the weave is worth it IMO... but agree it makes a bit less sense on a 3-4K Al bike and if you don't care then I could see how it makes little sense, but some people do and to some 3-4K is a very large investment they wish to protect a bit more without going to the trouble of completely stripping down, powder coat and getting new decals etc.

Ultimately the paint itself is a protective layer, that's it's primary function it's just many people simply think of it for it's secondary aesthetic function.

As for preferring to protect the more vulnerable areas... it's not mutually exclusive is it :)

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
My bike arrived a couple days ago - can't wait to test it out at Cwmcarn tomorrow.
I think the medium was the right size to go for but will decide tomorrow when on a proper trail.

A couple questions - this was in the bike box but I cant find where it might need to go - any ideas?
View attachment 10391

Also, Is this normal for the left side - none of the other bolt are like this?
View attachment 10392
Its a spare bolt from one of the fitted items.. not sure which though.
That's the V Link pivot linkage and yes its correct:

Attachments

• Escarpe - Sommet 2015 External (1).pdf
    307.1 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Where I am its a thin layer over of snow over massive quagmires of mud and clay, today was probably the slowest conditions I have ever rode in, though the EMTB did enable me to keep moving where a lot of other riders where just getting stuck. Jockey wheels was basically solid by half way thought the ride

IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4674.jpeg

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Took mine out for a test ride today and it made what would normally have been severe effort slippery snow climb into a nice tootle up when everyone else I saw was off pushing, TBH I think i'd have struggled on my other bike...

My first Ebike and it was pretty simple getting to grips with the bike and gear/power selection was all really intuitive. Boost mode surges a bit and from my limited experience it all seems to benefit from an even medium to high cadence which is most apparent in boost mode.

The riding is different enough to normal biking that I'll still do both as there are some E-negatives. I personally didn't like the motor drag when descending, it was very noticeable and I found myself putting in pedal strokes when normally i'd let my normal bike just run.

Bike specific I'm not too keen on the dropper post and the front forks need to bed in and some work dialling in. Other than that I can't fault the ride and handling and despite the weight it jumps fine which was a really nice surprise. Overall it's been a bit of an eye opener at how well the bike rides and handles especially at the price point but I've not ridden any other E Bike never mind a 10K one to compare so my opinion is pretty limited atm.
20190202_132729.jpg
20190202_150941.jpg

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
Another snowy ride
I'm really liking the bike. I find the motor a little bit noisy, but all good apart from that.

20 miles and 1000 metres of climbing... Bloody battery ran out on the last climb before home... That was hard work. I was mainly using Eco, with just a bit of Trail, Boost and Walk. It was cold though, and the going was tough. Hoping to get much more out of the battery in future. I had increased the power in Trail, but think I'll reduce it back.
Boost is completely over the top!
20190203_110314.jpeg

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Yeah I thought that initially about the Boost mode but just takes some getting used to especially on tight switchbacks. Clipped the pedals a couple of times as boost put my pedals in the wrong position but was getting used to it.

I too think the motor is noisy and IMO there should be an additional mode 25,50,75,100 as the transition from Trail to Boost is quite a step up.

I ran the bike mainly in Boost and Trail over 12 miles and 600m climbing and it indicated used somewhere between 40-60 percent as was still showing three bars at the end. Definitely a sweet forks are et spot to get the most assistance and it's getting used to pushing a much lighter gear than on my normal bike where I push a bigger gear at a lower cadence naturally.

Was ridiculously easy and normally hard climbs were really insignificant, boost mode is quite addictive especially on long technically uninteresting sections. I found Boost really useful to get back up to speed then drop back to Trail but in the end I just left it in Boost to try and get used to it more (well that's my excuse). Forks are bedding in a bit more now and some tweaking got them working really well.

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
Yep, Boost is great fun but too power hungry!
This bike is really encouraging me to get out again. I've had lots of injuries and operations (3 on my left knee). This bike makes riding possible and fun

Just spent a load more cash on lights so that I can get out midweek too

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
Managed to get out on the bike today. 3000ft of climbing and battery lasted. just. Needs some tweaks but so far it rides nicely. Need to try it out on some more jumpy stuff now.

One question: is there another low batter warning after you get to the last bar so you know it’s really about to die?
A9F6C5D9-C941-492E-AF6A-43C5A51DE6D2.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles