updated more reliable brose motor ?

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
Are we going to see an upgrade/new /improved motor from brose for next levo release in autumn winter if the pandemic hasn't halted design and production what do you guys reckon ? I want to buy a new one but not too keen with the current set up as it has that cloud of doubt hanging over it , so might wait till 21 model !

Ben Duro

May 27, 2019
Surrey
I'm on my third Brose motor, just had the new release put in
No idea how much these things cost but am dreading the warrantee expiring

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Brose and Bosch but how about Shimano?
I have had a Shimano motor fail and replaced under warranty, as have several others - amongst forum members the failure rate isn't anything like that of the Brose, but they do fail

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
Good to know and I would now not even consider a brose or bosch motor system bike if I were looking to upgrade. I would stick with Shimano as that is what I have now on my Hal eboost with over 1500 miles and no issues.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Thing is, the brose motor does, to me, feel the best, its near enough silent and it just feels natural. ive ridden all others but nothing seems to compare.

The shimano E8000 is a really nice motor but its loud and feels very on/off and i will probably go down this route in the future just because of reliability.

ive got just shy of 800 miles on my Brose 1.3 in my Kenevo and its still as smooth as butter (touch wood) even though it gets a good (low) pressure washing weekly

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I've had two Gen3 Bosch motors fail, one after a few hundred kilometers, the other after 8,000kms (different bikes). Had no issues with Spesh 1.2 or 1.3 motors (batteries for those were a separate issue!) but lost a 2.1 motor after 2,000kms and have another (different bike) that has close to 1,500kms with no issues. Hope the Mahle motor in the SL beats the lot...

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Just reading the comments about motor reliability, as mine has just spat its dummy out! ?
Cos I wanted it fixing pronto I even go in touch with , after reading all the rave reviews of people getting motors fitted whilst having a brew ! Berkshire cycles ( I'm in east lancs ) to see if they could help , they emailed me back saying they were waiting for a delivery from spesh in a week or so
and they already had folk waiting !!
I understand the current situation is a big issue with supply chain etc, but my bike is in dock now ( potentially 3-4week) LL Bury . waiting for a motor, not of my making or bike shop ! But do I get an extra month of warranty cos the piss poor reliability issues that specialized are obviously aware of ( new motor manufacturer MAHLE ) And to put the big hat on it, how are spesh gonna treat me when I'm out of warranty ? Theyre gonna look after the full warranty claims first , and the private ( none warranty guys) can fuckin whistle and wait at the back of the ever lengthening queue ! Rant over ????

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Thing is, the brose motor does, to me, feel the best, its near enough silent and it just feels natural. ive ridden all others but nothing seems to compare.

The shimano E8000 is a really nice motor but its loud and feels very on/off and i will probably go down this route in the future just because of reliability.

ive got just shy of 800 miles on my Brose 1.3 in my Kenevo and its still as smooth as butter (touch wood) even though it gets a good (low) pressure washing weekly

I tried all the usual suspects when choosing my ebike.
I was using a 2016 trek powerfly, sold to my friend and still going strong.
I didn't like the giant I tested ,Shimano
Same with the Focus
Same with a trek powerfly new model Bosch it still felt the same as old one.

Levo 2019 comp carbon with 12miles for £4630 ..no brainer just miles better,750 miles well maintained and fault free.

WillN

Jul 8, 2020
Los Angeles
I've been following these reliability threads. I think what would help is to better understand what goes wrong and how it goes wrong. What would help even more is if reliability was no longer an issue (except of course in extreme use - like race cars). Meanwhile, I have to assume that my beefy legs are potential motor wreckers. Real? No actual clue - it's just not worth $8k to find out. (Especially because the companies already know the answer and don't seem to be talking about it.) If however if it was $8k and after two years annual DIY motor rebuilds and $300 out of pocket - I could live with that.
Are there no engineers around? Knowing why and how they break might really help (or scare most customers away) I also had the thought, what if Tesla got interested?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles