Trek rail battery range extension

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
Hi all,
I am just investigating if there is a system to add a battery for extending range in the trek rail.
I did find a post from Trail Watts indicating they were working on something mid 2019, but I have had no response to queries to their site.
Apart from putting a spare in a backpack, has anyone come up with some system?
Apologies if this has been covered, and thank you in advance!

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
The Bosch system is a tough nut to crack. long story short, unless you use the genuine Bosch dual battery setup it can't be done, for various (BMS related) reasons. If this is even possible with an internal battery bike like the rail you'd still need somewhere to mount a genuine Bosch battery.

If Trail Watts manage to fool the Bosch system successfully and reliably for even remotely reasonable outlay they'll be the first to have done it.

You must be cranking out some serious miles, my arse gives up before the battery gives out :)

kiwibiker

Dec 5, 2020
NZ
The Bosch system is a tough nut to crack. long story short, unless you use the genuine Bosch dual battery setup it can't be done, for various (BMS related) reasons. If this is even possible with an internal battery bike like the rail you'd still need somewhere to mount a genuine Bosch battery.

If Trail Watts manage to fool the Bosch system successfully and reliably for even remotely reasonable outlay they'll be the first to have done it.

You must be cranking out some serious miles, my arse gives up before the battery gives out :)
Hi mate... im a bit heavier at 112kg, so I guess that doesn't help. Longest ride I managed was 800m of climbing in total, and 61kms. That was using a mixture of eco, tour and EMTB modes. There is a ride I wish to do that is around 80km, and about 1200m total climbing.
It maybe that the backpack will be the only solution by the sound of it.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hi mate... im a bit heavier at 112kg, so I guess that doesn't help. Longest ride I managed was 800m of climbing in total, and 61kms. That was using a mixture of eco, tour and EMTB modes. There is a ride I wish to do that is around 80km, and about 1200m total climbing.
It maybe that the backpack will be the only solution by the sound of it.
If it's old ghost road try & time it with the chopper company flying in & see if they'll drop a battery at the hut

N19E GT

Dec 10, 2020
england
Hi all,
I am just investigating if there is a system to add a battery for extending range in the trek rail.
I did find a post from Trail Watts indicating they were working on something mid 2019, but I have had no response to queries to their site.
Apart from putting a spare in a backpack, has anyone come up with some system?
Apologies if this has been covered, and thank you in advance!
Not cheap but

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles