2021 Rail Model Range

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I'm likely to go with the 9.8 vs 9.7. $1k more (US) but that gets you SRAM GX, Code R brakes, and new ZEB fork (2020 9.8 was Lyrik). Worth it imo.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
That’s a pretty cheap upgrade for you guys. . The 9.8 is 2650$ more than the 9.7 here in Canada.
Gx and zeb are nice upgrades over the 9.7 model.
I’m debating taking off and selling the 9.7 yari and getting a zeb. Either that or upgrade the yari damper etc.

Don_Singer

Jun 15, 2020
Peoria, AZ USA
Here in the US, according to the website the price for a 9.7 is unchanged. The only changes I found are the BNG (bold new graphics...OK, different colors), Kiox and brakes....and it gained 2 lbs (1 Kg), Scanning through the specs I cannot figure out how the bike got heavier, aside from the brake and display, nothing is different. Do any of you have a guess on the reason?

There isn't a 2021 Rail 7 listed so I can't see if it also accumulated some stay-at-home weight as well. One kilo narrows the gap between the Rail 9.7 and Rail 7 pretty significantly since the 7 has a Shimano drive train. (but that wimpy 130mm dropper...geez). I'll spend $500 to drop 4 lbs...2 lbs? I don't know.

Last edited:

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Thinking about ordering the 2021 rail 9.7 XL in the raw carbon/volt colour.
And this is what my build will probably look like in the end.
-cushcore f/r
-front tire: DHF 2.5WT DD 3c maxxterra
-rear tire: aggressor 2.5WT DD dual compound
-charger 2.1rc2 damper with SKF seals (now basically a Lyrik ultimate). probably wait til the fork needs a service.
-170mm air shaft (2021 model). probably wait til the fork needs a service.
-megneg for shock. probably wait til the shock needs a service.
-108 POE hub upgrade (new springs and pawls: part #s 552414 & 552415)
-220 front rotor (if needed)
-invisiframe
-knock block lockring (to run non knock block stem, while retaining the knock block function). part #545523
-My existing Nukeproof 31.8 35mm stem
-My existing Nukeproof 31.8 780mm 38mm rise carbon bars
-metallic brake pads
-I may take off and sell the SRAM cassette/derailleur/shifter and replace with shimano SLX/XT and the required micropsline freehub body (part #600718) for the shimano cassette.
-DMR vault Mg pedals
I'm in the same position as you, should be taking delivery of my black 9.7 in XL on the 7th of September.. however I'm not sure if id go with the microspline and new xt, I believe the crappy SRAM stuff on it doesn't even use the xd driver, it just has normal Shimano freehub. If that's the case I'm happy with 11spd xt, don't need the granny gear on an ebike. Especially in the Surrey hills in the UK. Also got my ohlins ttx coil, push ACS3, bikeyoke revive and shigura brakeset ready to put on it. Going to be a weapon!

young_bairn

Jul 21, 2020
Scotland
Sorry to hijack this thread but I think I'm pretty much sold on the Rail 5 as my first EMTB. I have looked for a while and nothing seems to come close in terms for the price. Am I correct in my logic? Thanks :)

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
Sorry to hijack this thread but I think I'm pretty much sold on the Rail 5 as my first EMTB. I have looked for a while and nothing seems to come close in terms for the price. Am I correct in my logic? Thanks :)
I put 32 miles on a 2020 Rail 5 during a demo back in January. I would consider the Rail 5 very entry level, and the price reflects that. I would want to upgrade four things on the Rail 5: fork, brakes, drivetrain and battery size (see below).

I'm used to a Rockshox Pike and the Rockshox 35 just didn't have the feel I was used to. I'd be fine with a Yari, but I'd prefer a Lyrik or a Fox 36.
I'm used to Shimano XTR brakes and the Tektros had less stopping power and I noticed brake fade on the downhills. Modulation and feel was surprisingly okay, but I would want to upgrade to a Shimano setup and maybe a 220mm front rotor.
I'm used to SRAM GX Eagle and the SX version was noisy and clunky. Keep it mind, this was a rental/demo bike that probably had a lot of miles on the drivetrain... but I didn't appreciate the SX's sensation of "slamming" into the next cog during shifts. I'd want to upgrade to GX or Shimano SLX.
The 504wh battery lasted about 24 miles with 3900 ft of climbing. I used mostly trail on the climbs, with a few boost sections. I used eco mode on the fire road transitions and on the downhill. I ran out of juice with about 2 miles left on my ride. I would highly recommend buying a bike with the larger 625wh (or 630wh) battery.

If you don't mind waiting, the YT Decoy Base is a better build at a cheaper price. These probably won't be available again until 2021. If you're okay with the 504wh battery, the Commencal Meta Power is a better build (Fox 36, SLX) for a slightly higher price. The 2021 Commencals will have 630wh battery options if you feel like waiting. The Canyon Spectral:On is the same price as the Rail 5, but a much better build (Lyrik, SLX).

I would either upgrade to a Rail 7 (or 9) if you're set on Trek. Or look at YT, Commencal and Canyon's offerings to keep the price down.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK

I went for this as better kit. I expect to upgrade the battery to a 625 version when funds allow.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
Have any of the US guys spoken to their Trek dealers regarding the availability of the 2021 Rail 7 or Rail 9 models in the US?

The Rail 7 is the last model that is still listed as a 2020 on their website. And the Rail 9 wasn't available in the US last year. :cautious:

datonetti

Jun 9, 2020
Lodi, ca 95240
Have any of the US guys spoken to their Trek dealers regarding the availability of the 2021 Rail 7 or Rail 9 models in the US?

The Rail 7 is the last model that is still listed as a 2020 on their website. And the Rail 9 wasn't available in the US last year. :cautious:
Yes, my LBS says the 2021 is 100 days out. He says it has to do with "parts" availability, but who knows the real reason. As I posted in another thread, UPS lost the 2020 9.8 XT I had ordered 60 days ago. Ordering a 2021 9.8 XT. Hopefully it makes it to the LBS this time.

Edwin

Aug 25, 2020
Brisbane Australia
T
Hi,
So in the Dnister Black / Rage Red color there is absolutely no change, not even color between the 2020 and 2021 model.

How customers will differentiate the 2021 model from the 2020?
There is a minor difference

2020 ran the Shimano MT520 4 piston brake calipers and MT501 levers
2021 is running the Shimano M6120 4 piston calipers.

As a result 2021 weighs 23.59kg vs 23.65kg from 2020.

toreador

Apr 21, 2020
Berlin
Does anyone have any final information as to whether the stays on the 9.7 and 9.8 are actually made of aluminum, as previously stated here, or still made of carbon as on last year's models?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Does anyone have any final information as to whether the stays on the 9.7 and 9.8 are actually made of aluminum, as previously stated here, or still made of carbon as on last year's models?
Both appear to be carbon in the pictures on the German Trek web site

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Can the dropper post be slide all the way down the seat tube?
I mean could you fit a 170mm dropper post all the way down the seat tube?

I have a 180mm dropper, it slams all the way down to the seat tube

IMG_0758 (002).jpg

IMG_0759 (002).jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles