TIP needed - How to remove the spider locking nut from M510 (I got the tool)

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Hi,
I am trying to take the motor apart, and as usual, there are hurdles in the way. This time is the spider locking nut, which is super tight. I have bafang´s official tool (which kinda sucks), but in order to loose the nut one has to apply the force in the same direction than the freewheel, hence I have not been able to loosen it. I´ve tried putting the motor in a vise, but the problem is pretty much the same. I would have to somehow fix the spider (which is not really strong) to be able to unscrew the nut. I ´ve even used a bolt screwed into one of the ISCG mount holes to create a stopper for the spider, but the bolt ended up bent.
Any one smarter/more experienced than me, that can shed a light?
Any Macgiver among the public?
Greatly appreciated
Spider Nut.jpg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Lefty tighty and Righty loosey for that nut. That tool does look sketchy also? The one I have has a 1/2" drive and I hook it up to my cordless drill.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Lefty tighty and Righty loosey for that nut. That tool does look sketchy also? The one I have has a 1/2" drive and I hook it up to my cordless drill.
indeed, I've been loosen it to the right, which is precisely the direction of freewheeling, hence there's nothing impeding the thread to rotate along with the nut. That's the core of my dilema.

On a side note: Can you share where you bought your tool? Mine is the original Bafang as far as I know, and yes, it sucks!

1000055048.jpg

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I would have to somehow fix the spider (which is not really strong) to be able to unscrew the nut.
Any one smarter/more experienced than me, that can shed a light?

Take an aluminum bar or small length of steel angle. Steel bedframes are just the right material. Take a piece about two feet long, and drill holes to match the holes in two adjacent spider arms. Bolt your Bed Frame Tool to the spider. Now it's a long handle that will allow you to hold everything rigid as you loosen the nut.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Take an aluminum bar or small length of steel angle. Steel bedframes are just the right material. Take a piece about two feet long, and drill holes to match the holes in two adjacent spider arms. Bolt your Bed Frame Tool to the spider. Now it's a long handle that will allow you to hold everything rigid as you loosen the nut.
Thanks RustyIron, seems the way to go.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Your basic chain whip for holding the rear cassette whilst undoing that is more than suffice. Basic trick is to zip tie the chain section in a couple of places to stop it coming off the sprocket. If that is still a bit tight then put a bit of pressure on the tool ( its a left hand thread by the way ) and tap the tool with a hammer gently, the shock normally is enough to break the grip of the thread.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles