The end for ebike tuning?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You must be specific. .
I'm not going to spoonfeed you. You obviously haven't seen the posts by @Gary about his several motor failures and he is not alone.

The most reliable motor appears to be the Yamaha in the Giant, but I suspect it's also the lowest sales figures too which will have an impact, just like the sheer number of Levos sold will effect the number of failures seen. None of the motors are completely reliable and all have experienced failures.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
I'm not going to spoonfeed you. You obviously haven't seen the posts by @Gary about his several motor failures and he is not alone.

The most reliable motor appears to be the Yamaha in the Giant, but I suspect it's also the lowest sales figures too which will have an impact, just like the sheer number of Levos sold will effect the number of failures seen. None of the motors are completely reliable and all have experienced failures.
I didn't ask to be spoonfed but you ask me to go and read an entire forum to find one guy Gary who had problems. Once again that hardly indicates a common problem and if it's one person who I will read up on who may or may not be a difficult customer and this I'm saying without having read it. I will now read it. If you want to make a point you must have a reason like you have seen it and are aware of a general trend of failures. If you go to a Specialized forum you'll see a general trend. If you go to Bosch CX Gen 4, you see a general trend of clatter from the motor when riding over rough surfaces while not under power. You don't have to spoonfeed me because it's there. General trends.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I didn't ask to be spoonfed but you ask me to go and read an entire forum to find one guy Gary who had problems. Once again that hardly indicates a common problem and if it's one person who I will read up on who may or may not be a difficult customer and this I'm saying without having read it. I will now read it. If you want to make a point you must have a reason like you have seen it and are aware of a general trend of failures.
WTF are you even on about mate?
I'm not a "difficult customer". Far from it having worked half my life in the bike trade.
Seeing as Dom tagged me. I can tell you categorically that the durability of Shimano's current Emtb motors is not great. And certainly not if you intend on riding hard. (Jumping/DH type of riding especially)
I could go into great detail. but TBH I don't really see much point when you seem to have made up your mind based on nothing at all.

Truth is. No Emtb motor is particualrly durable (yet)

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Have a look through here; Shimano it might open your eyes a little.
So I had a look. Gary had one posting under reliability where he said his first motor had bearings go on the BB and the second one creaks and he suspects it's going the same way.

My Giant creaked like hell and it sounded like the crank it if you want to call it BB. It ended up being a dry floating engine mount. After that no further mention of failures. So please don't tell me this is an unreliable motor because of that.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
WTF are you even on about mate?
I'm not a "difficult customer". Far from it having worked half my life in the bike trade.
Seeing as Dom tagged me. I can tell you categorically that the durability of Shimano's current Emtb motors is not great. And certainly not if you intend on riding hard. (Jumping/DH type of riding especially)
I could go into great detail. but TBH I don't really see much point when you seem to have made up your mind based on nothing at all.

Truth is. No Emtb motor is particualrly durable (yet)
Gary sorry if you had a problem. However it is hardly a trend. I have made up my mind based on the bikes in riding with and the general trend that I pick up in the forums. The symptoms that you described sounds like it could easily have been mounting related. If course there can also be issues with some motors. However there is certainly not a general trend of a Shimano failures. Also don't get yourself all worked up about what I said after being tagged by your buddy trying to make a point. I said that I have read the Shimano forums and didn't pick up any trends and I politely asked what specifically he refers to as it is a massive forum. Then he becomes insulting and tells me he doesn't want to spoonfeed me upon which he tags you. I couldn't find your single reference that he indicated was a general trend of unreliable Shimano motors and I said without having read what you said and not finding general trends of unreliability you may very well be a difficult customer bit that ai would go and search and read what you said, which I then did and responded to based on what I read. Now I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with you guys that behave like gangsters for whatever reason. You two sound like the guys I encounter on the trails that do not greet back when your are greeted friendly. If Shimano motors are so unreliable go public and let's get it out in the open because I don't see the evidence based on your one entry of s bearing that apparently failed and a creak that may go three same way with no further indication that it actually did go three same way. So have a nice day. I've got better things to do than get involved in arguments with unpleasant people

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The 25kph limit is too low. I'm an average rider and i'll happily trundle along flowy singletrack at around 28-30kph on my standard mtb, so find the 25kph cutoff a right pain in the arse.

Doesn't that mean that the problem isn't that the assist cuts out, but that your ebike is too hard to pedal once it does? Otherwise, you'd be trundling along at the same 28-30kph

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary sorry if you had a problem. However it is hardly a trend. I have made up my mind based on the bikes in riding with and the general trend that I pick up in the forums. The symptoms that you described sounds like it could easily have been mounting related. If course there can also be issues with some motors. However there is certainly not a general trend of a Shimano failures. Also don't get yourself all worked up about what I said after being tagged by your buddy trying to make a point. I said that I have read the Shimano forums and didn't pick up any trends and I politely asked what specifically he refers to as it is a massive forum. Then he becomes insulting and tells me he doesn't want to spoonfeed me upon which he tags you. I couldn't find your single reference that he indicated was a general trend of unreliable Shimano motors and I said without having read what you said and not finding general trends of unreliability you may very well be a difficult customer bit that ai would go and search and read what you said, which I then did and responded to based on what I read. Now I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with you guys that behave like gangsters for whatever reason. You two sound like the guys I encounter on the trails that do not greet back when your are greeted friendly. If Shimano motors are so unreliable go public and let's get it out in the open because I don't see the evidence based on your one entry of s bearing that apparently failed and a creak that may go three same way with no further indication that it actually did go three same way. So have a nice day. I've got better things to do than get involved in arguments with unpleasant people

Seriously mate. What are you even going on about?

Dom isn't my mate. I just know him from here. (and anther lower quality bike forum he frequents).

Fact is shimano motors aren't durable under hard use (not pedalling but actual riding hard) My recurring problem is that the (floating) bearings used in the main axle simply do not last if used agressively. They simply are not up to the job of handling repeated proper hard cornering and off axis landings any good/fast/flambovant rider dishes out on a daily basis.
It's the same deal with shitty SRAM/Raceface wavy washer preloaded standard BB bearings. If you have the engineering savy to understand why those also fail regularly you'll understand the issue with the Steps bearings.
Stick your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalalalalalalala" all you want.

Me n Dom is fa too gangsta t' care what you (based on nuffin) fink.
giphy.gif

init?

tvandall

Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
solution all ready being used for numpteees just apply it to derestricted bikes

Love the vid. lol But apply to all knuckle head drivers/riders regardless of vehicle no need to focus on derestricted bike riders as long as they ride responsibly. That being said a home built that goes fast would have to first be restricted to then derestrict it to classify as such. I think.. confusing tho

tvandall

Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
That has already been explained! It has absolutely nothing to do with speed but everything to do with creating a category of motorised vehicle that is essentially still a bicycle despite having an engine. The actual max assisted speed was arbitrary but certainly had to be less than a moped. The fact that the EU chose 25kph whilst other authorities chose 30kph demonstrates that point.

So far as I can tell the global arbitrary range seems to be between 25-45k which is a huge range demonstrating the ridiculousness of all this. As consumers we are loosing out because manufacturers are forced to navigate this complex landscape and can't supply us with unfettered unneutered (is this a word) designs. I vote for " If it looks like a bike its a bike" and local bike rules apply. I'm all for KISS (keep it simple stupid). Bikes after all have been powered by various motors for well over a century. Humans, humans+caffeine+steroids+EPO and now humans+batteries. All motivated by a lust for speed. I think its good we are getting away from the drugs, humans+batteries is a way better option and YES dare I risk mentioning FASTER. I love the idea of getting on a eroad bike with batteries and blowing away Lance Armstrong's doped up records. Its gonna be fun and it will happen lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles