• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Well, I’ll answer again. It looks like such questions will be forever ...

"STEPS Unlocker" App was blocked by Google due Shimano request. It's not possible to unblock App and not possible to transfer your Google license to a new "STUnlocker" App. So, if you want a new version - you have to pay $1 for a new "STUnlocker" App.
Your premium license remains the same. You can use it with the new "STUnlocker" App

Hi,
How do I update STEPS Unlocker to STUnlocker? Do I need to buy it again from Playstore and apply the old licence?

veno77

Sep 22, 2019
Sofia
does anyone have managed to make STUnlocker work with Shimano E6000 steps system? I have DU-E6001 drive unit and SC-E6010 computer. I also plan to buy the SM-PCE02 linkage device to use with the software.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
does anyone have managed to make STUnlocker work with Shimano E6000 steps system? I have DU-E6001 drive unit and SC-E6010 computer. I also plan to buy the SM-PCE02 linkage device to use with the software.
E600x is not supported

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
What do you hope to gain from buying the SM-PCE02? It seems like an expensive tool to have in your toolbox, but won’t get much use.

veno77

Sep 22, 2019
Sofia
What do you hope to gain from buying the SM-PCE02? It seems like an expensive tool to have in your toolbox, but won’t get much use.
My idea was to use it for the STUnlocker windows version software, but it looks like my system is not supported. Otherwise I can use it for etube project to update the firmware of my bike...

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
My idea was to use it for the STUnlocker windows version software, but it looks like my system is not supported. Otherwise I can use it for etube project to update the firmware of my bike...
Doesn't seem like you will get much of a return on the investment. But it's your money.

alfaura

May 15, 2020
Spain
Hi everyone

Really happy with this amazing APP.

Just quick one: what as reasonable/safe limit for the wheel circumference?

Than you!

alfaura

May 15, 2020
Spain
One more thing, after changing wheel circumference the E8000 display prompts me to make a backup when.

I that normal? How can I disable that?

I chose NO just in case...

andrenb

May 19, 2020
Norway
I´m picking up a bike for my girlfriend this weekend with a Shimano Steps 5000 motor and were wondering if I should hold off updating it to the latest firmware before going for the premium version of your app? My intention is to activate the US-mode so that motor will give support up to 32 km/h instead of 25 km/h.

I saw an update today of the app on iOs for pre-support for the newest firmwares for Shimano and I don´t want to update the firmware of the bike to a version which will give difficulties in changing it to US-mode.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I´m picking up a bike for my girlfriend this weekend with a Shimano Steps 5000 motor and were wondering if I should hold off updating it to the latest firmware before going for the premium version of your app? My intention is to activate the US-mode so that motor will give support up to 32 km/h instead of 25 km/h.

I saw an update today of the app on iOs for pre-support for the newest firmwares for Shimano and I don´t want to update the firmware of the bike to a version which will give difficulties in changing it to US-mode.

andrenb

May 19, 2020
Norway

Thank you for the link, then I'll just let the bike stay on the firmware it shipped with to be able to use the full potential of Stunlocker.

SuperHans

May 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all, recently got a Steps EC6100 and wanted to use stunblocker. Unfortunately, the computer that ships with my bike does not have Bluetooth connectivity. Is it simply a matter to buying another Steps EC6100 computer that does have Bluetooth? Or are there other issues?

SuperHans

May 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Actually it might be a firmware issue. Just a follow-up question - is it possible to have more than one SC6100 computer per bike. Guys in the bike store suggested the computer was paired with the bike so it would not work. I suspect he was making that up.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
SC-E6100 has bluetooth and it's 100% supported
Hi all, recently got a Steps EC6100 and wanted to use stunblocker. Unfortunately, the computer that ships with my bike does not have Bluetooth connectivity. Is it simply a matter to buying another Steps EC6100 computer that does have Bluetooth? Or are there other issues?

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
I had exactly this problem with my E6100 series hybrid, when running the eTube app the SC-E6100 display unit did not announce itself in order to permit Bluetooth pairing, it was as if that unit had no Bluetooth capability at all. Fortunately I have a SM-PCE02 interface so it was a simple matter to electrically connect that device to my bike (by temporarily disconnecting one of the di2 handlebar switches) and running eTube on my laptop.

I found that the firmware version on the SC-E6100 was way out of date, after updating it to the current version Bluetooth worked fine. A word of warning though - if you don’t have access to a SM-PCE01 or SM-PCE02 and consider asking the dealer to update the display unit firmware for you - be careful that they don’t update the drive unit firmware to version 4.5.0, as there is some uncertainty as to whether that version of the motor firmware is completely compatible with Stunlocker.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
be careful that they don’t update the drive unit firmware to version 4.5.0, there is some uncertainty as to whether that version of the motor firmware is completely compatible with Stunlocker.
I think it's 99.9999% compatible, but I have not yet met a single adequate person who could test it on his bike with 4.5.0...
Anyway, there is downgrade option still available ;)

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
I think it's 99.9999% compatible, but I have not yet met a single adequate person who could test it on his bike with 4.5.0...
Anyway, there is downgrade option still available ;)

That’s encouraging, thanks for the update. I think I’ll wait awhile though before updating my bike. You mention the downgrade option - do you know if that has been successfully attempted by a Stunlocker user reverting from 4.5.0 to 4.4.0. Also I’m uncertain where to download the old version of the firmware (4.4.0) from.

Last edited:

SuperHans

May 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I had exactly this problem with my E6100 series hybrid, when running the eTube app the SC-E6100 display unit did not announce itself in order to permit Bluetooth pairing, it was as if that unit had no Bluetooth capability at all. Fortunately I have a SM-PCE02 interface so it was a simple matter to electrically connect that device to my bike (by temporarily disconnecting one of the di2 handlebar switches) and running eTube on my laptop.

I found that the firmware version on the SC-E6100 was way out of date, after updating it to the current version Bluetooth worked fine. A word of warning though - if you don’t have access to a SM-PCE01 or SM-PCE02 and consider asking the dealer to update the display unit firmware for you - be careful that they don’t update the drive unit firmware to version 4.5.0, as there is some uncertainty as to whether that version of the motor firmware is completely compatible with Stunlocker.

Thanks Johnnie - very helpful to get that clarified. I think I might invest in a SM-PCE02.

Johnnie

Sep 8, 2019
Ireland
Thanks Johnnie - very helpful to get that clarified. I think I might invest in a SM-PCE02.

No problem SuperHans - one thing to check though before you go to the trouble and expense of purchasing an SM-PCE02. I presume that you’re aware the SC-E6100 doesn’t broadcast Bluetooth pairing data continuously? It only does so for approx 15 seconds following switching the device on, or pressing one of its buttons.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles