Has you EP8 motor failed ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've got a friend who bricked his rise doing a software update via the app.
dealer has had it 2 weeks now (motor has been sent off) but he is still without the bike.
That is a potential problem with any OTA updates. I'd much rather do an update via a downloaded file (post checksum). That rules out quite a few potential update issues in one hit.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I have two riding buddies with the standard EP8 motors that have had torque sensor failures that Shimano had to replace the motors under warranty. I'm seeing more motor issues with the EP8 compared to the E8000.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I have two riding buddies with the standard EP8 motors that have had torque sensor failures that Shimano had to replace the motors under warranty. I'm seeing more motor issues with the EP8 compared to the E8000.
EP8 or EP8RS ? im assuming you are the 1 vote on YES ?

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
That is a potential problem with any OTA updates. I'd much rather do an update via a downloaded file (post checksum). That rules out quite a few potential update issues in one hit.
The Etube update is not strictly an OTA. The files are already on the phone when the app tells you there is an update available. There are 2 files involved "DUE800 D4.1.8 and DUE800 M4.1.8" for the latest update. These sit in a directory on the phone under Documents/E-Tube/FW/. You can safely switch your phone to airplane mode when doing the update because no network connection is needed only bluetooth. I have always done this to ensure that no text or phone calls can interrupt the update.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Etube update is not strictly an OTA. The files are already on the phone when the app tells you there is an update available. There are 2 files involved "DUE800 D4.1.8 and DUE800 M4.1.8" for the latest update. These sit in a directory on the phone under Documents/E-Tube/FW/. You can safely switch your phone to airplane mode when doing the update because no network connection is needed only bluetooth. I have always done this to ensure that no text or phone calls can interrupt the update.
that is good practise but does not alter the fact it is OTA using the blutooth connection.........and that type of connection is always subject to interference. Personally I would not use blutooth for a file transfer!!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
that is good practise but does not alter the fact it is OTA using the blutooth connection.........and that type of connection is always subject to interference. Personally I would not use blutooth for a file transfer!!
It is a bit better than previous though - it knocks out the potential of trouble with updating from the internet via wireless in real time. A cable connection to the bike would be nice too, of course; especially considering what is at stake.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles