Shimano Battery Health

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
Hi,
Checking my new bike info, found out that battery health is 32%, should i be worried?
Screenshot_20190615-215524.png

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Maybe... I'm not sure how @vadII reports battery health or how accurately the SHimano battery is issuing the data. My battery is 99% after two cycles (spare battery I have).

Unless you've done something unusual it's likely the battery is fine and just needs a few cycles to sort itself out, as far as self reporting goes. Generally it would be recommended you give the battery a few close to full cycles to reset the battery gauge and data reporting from the BMS. And often lithium batteries need a few cycles to get up to full capacity anyway (this might be done at the factory. I don't know.)

How is the battery life? It looks new with two cycles, so three to four hours of mixed riding should be the norm(ish) in trail/eco. If it's significantly less than that then take it in to be checked. Any charging errors. How's the gauge? ie: does the range collapse in the bottom half of the battery gauge?

For god's sake don't tell them you're running after market software.. :)

Gordon

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
Hi @flash , thanks for the reply.
The battery is new and the range seems ok to me, last week i did a 28km ride with 1200m of ascent. I was mainly on trail mode on the ascents and off on the descents. The duration of the battery was 2h30 of moving time.
I will give it some more charges and see how it goes.

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
The only "legal" way to prove the battery health is using the Shimano SM-PCE2 diagnostic tool, isn't it?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles