Levo SL Gen 1 Rode an SL last night... WOW!

eddiemac47

Mar 4, 2020
East Coast, USA
Rode acoustics for years, but knee issues really took their toLe. Got a full expert levo last year. Really nice, but never could get comfortable on it, too long, too heavy, at least for me. As soon as I heard about the SL, I sold the full size and went SL. For me, it‘s just a better bike. I don’t need the big levo motor. Just enough to help keep me on the trails when my knees are hurting me. I ride with two guys who still have full size levos and I can keep up with them unless they are on full turbo, which they rarely do. When I ride my full size levo, I kept wishing I could have a stumpjumper with a motor and that’s basically what the SL is. Love it.

AA325258-AD6B-4452-986C-17489EB535EC.jpeg

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
As a long time Levo owner I'm wondering how the SL is in the snow and cold? I need every electron the Levo can muster when pushing snow while climbing. :D

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
This felt like I was riding my regular bike and I was 30 years old, instead of 61.
I'm hoping to throw a leg over one this week, and this is exactly what I need to read: the SL (if I buy it) will be a slightly early 60th birthday present to myself, and if it takes me back to when I was 50, I'm in - the Carbon Comp, I reckon.

I'm still in reasonable shape anyway (not in a "trained all my life" way, more just a "stayed active and looked after myself sensibly" way), so I really just want something that will cancel out headwinds and flatten long drags a bit.

I love riding my 2016 Cube ebike, but I tend to use it more as a beast of burden these days - mainly to get me and my fishing gear to my local angling club waters, a twenty mile round-trip - and for fun I ride a 2017 Giant Trance 2: the SL looks like it will slot between the two perfectly, and get me out on days when the conditions (and/or my level of motivation) are against me.

@Setter - so what's the deal with your motor, then?

Don_Singer

Jun 15, 2020
Peoria, AZ USA
On the SL I can't get past the skinny 2.3 tires. Out here in Arizona where we have lots of rocks, big tires, run tubeless with low air pressure are the way to go. 27.5x2.8 have fallen out of favor :( and 29x2.6 are the closest newer eMTBs come, so that is as far as I can compromise. It seems like 160mm/150mm is too much suspension for an eMTB more targeted at XC-like trail rides, those are enduro numbers. For dropping down some rocky chute I am back to the grip of big tires. If you can afford both, then the SL would be perfect for its intended use but not my choice to all mountain rides. I would rather have the suspension and traction when I need it and suffer with the weight and power when I don't.

Reactions: jxj

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
On the SL I can't get past the skinny 2.3 tires. Out here in Arizona where we have lots of rocks, big tires, run tubeless with low air pressure are the way to go. 27.5x2.8 have fallen out of favor :( and 29x2.6 are the closest newer eMTBs come, so that is as far as I can compromise. It seems like 160mm/150mm is too much suspension for an eMTB more targeted at XC-like trail rides, those are enduro numbers. For dropping down some rocky chute I am back to the grip of big tires. If you can afford both, then the SL would be perfect for its intended use but not my choice to all mountain rides. I would rather have the suspension and traction when I need it and suffer with the weight and power when I don't.
I m thinking I’m going to put a 2.6 on the front

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Do you think a 2.6 would fit on the rear too? If the fork/frame will accept the larger tires...well...that's a different story...

Still has the 34 fork though.....

A buddy of mine put one one the front of his SL, he also has an Expert Carbon....
Do you think a 2.6 would fit on the rear too? If the fork/frame will accept the larger tires...well...that's a different story...

I just looked at the rear, I can't imagine that a 2.6 wouldn't fit.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

A buddy of mine put one one the front of his SL, he also has an Expert Carbon....

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Given the cheap components it seems like buying a lower spec SL and upgrading is the best route. The brakes and fork are a joke. Even the s works has a flimsy 34 and underwhelming shock.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You can still have all the suspension ..

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I'm not light and don't ride slowly (down hill at least) and the 34 seems fine so far. Took a bit to get them dialed in...

simmo-mj99

Sep 7, 2019
West Sussex UK
Given the cheap components it seems like buying a lower spec SL and upgrading is the best route. The brakes and fork are a joke. Even the s works has a flimsy 34 and underwhelming shock.

As for the brakes guide r 4 pot on my carbon comp when i first got the bike i was very underwhelmed by them very vague feeling and no bite at all! was going to swap them out but had a set of 203mm ice tec rotors front and rear so installed them, purchased a set of copper free pads from disco brakes (their top pads) and could not be happier with them now, had guide re on my 2018 levo carbon comp and they were good, and now the guide r are as good if not better! solid feel on the lever and nice bite point good modulation and can lock up at will. found the sram pads to be crap so try this first before swapping out might save some time and money.
Also have found the fox 34s fine for the riding I'm doing and at 230lb I'm no lightweight.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
As for the brakes guide r 4 pot on my carbon comp when i first got the bike i was very underwhelmed by them very vague feeling and no bite at all! was going to swap them out but had a set of 203mm ice tec rotors front and rear so installed them, purchased a set of copper free pads from disco brakes (their top pads) and could not be happier with them now, had guide re on my 2018 levo carbon comp and they were good, and now the guide r are as good if not better! solid feel on the lever and nice bite point good modulation and can lock up at will. found the sram pads to be crap so try this first before swapping out might save some time and money.
Hi Simmo,

thanks for the tip. What do you think is making the biggest difference - the bigger rotors, or the pads?

Also have found the fox 34s fine for the riding I'm doing and at 230lb I'm no lightweight.
Yep, sounds right.

Nobody would dispute that 36 or 38 forks are going to be stiffer than 34s - that's just physics - but calling the 34s "flimsy", even on an ebike, is a bit of a stretch...

simmo-mj99

Sep 7, 2019
West Sussex UK
Hi Simmo,

thanks for the tip. What do you think is making the biggest difference - the bigger rotors, or the pads?

Yep, sounds right.

Nobody would dispute that 36 or 38 forks are going to be stiffer than 34s - that's just physics - but calling the 34s "flimsy", even on an ebike, is a bit of a stretch...

pads without a doubt obviously the rear going to 203mm helps but as soon as i swapped out the pads the lever feel went from pulling nearly to the bar to the bite point half way and firm feeling can lock both wheels at will (i got disco brakes copper free their top pads very happy with them also have sintered both i can recommend).

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
pads without a doubt obviously the rear going to 203mm helps but as soon as i swapped out the pads the lever feel went from pulling nearly to the bar to the bite point half way and firm feeling can lock both wheels at will (i got disco brakes copper free their top pads very happy with them also have sintered both i can recommend).
Brilliant - thanks, Simmo.

I test-rode an SL yesterday, and I really noticed the lever pulling to the bar: if it's not down to it being a tired test-bike in need of a brake service, I know what to do when I get mine.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'm far from slow, far from very light, I blast hard rides, and the 34s are absolutely solid.

Maybe mine are set up better.
I don't know what other forks you have tried but maybe they are the best forks you have ridden?

I'm not going to comment on how fast you think you are but the thing that I do know for certain is the Fox 34 is not 'absolutely solid' for fast riding for anyone above 80kgs using above 140mm travel. Night and day difference in stiffness between a 34 and a Lyrik/36/Mezzer/Diamond/Onyx/Durolux. The 34's quite easily flex under load and that can be felt when on the brakes diving into bumpy corners as an example.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles