Levo Gen 2 Riding with no camelback

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Anyone come up with a solution to riding with no camelback for the Turbo Levo, apart from going with no tools and hoping for the best ?

Lately I've just been bringing money for a taxi in case it all goes wrong!

Need to just store a multi tool, spare tube and pump really. In addition to the water bottle that it comes with.

Presumably a small frame bag that sits in the front triangle and does not get in the way of anything is the solution. I've got the Blackburn Outpost bag on my Hard Tail but it doesn't fit my other bikes - especially not the Levo.

Speaking of water bottles, does anyone know a decent water bottle that has a cover to keep the crud well away from the mouth piece ?

Squatch

Feb 20, 2020
Washington State
bike cap.jpg

water.jpg

I use a Fidlock water bottle with a Camelbak water bottle cap.

tail.jpg

MSW Spare Tube wrap with CO2 and Patch kit.

edc.png

Oneup EDC Tool in stem.
Keeps me from pushing my bike 20miles back home.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

IMO the Dakine Hotlaps frame bag is the best option out there right now, lots of ways/places to mount it to the bike.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Velcro straps holding on spare tube, tyre levers, tyre pump; the standard Specialized swat headset toolkit and spare chain link; 800ml water bottle and another strap for another 800ml if needed.

...and an Apple Watch with cellular for when it all goes south!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Drink a pint of water before your ride and another at the end.
Haven't used a camelbak in over 10 years on normal bikes. Ebikes require far less effort and are limited to less range so the need for fuel/water during a ride is even less.
Tools n spares are strapped to my bikes so I never need to fanny about packing anything before a ride.

Ktmdriver

Aug 6, 2020
SoCal
Hydration packs work really well and because the mouthpieces are relatively high compared to the factory mount water bottle cage they don’t get as dirty and are hard to beat. Don’t fall into the drink before the ride and not carry any water, that could be deadly in case you have to walk out due to a mechanical or other problem.

Reactions: jxj

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
This was my config on the Levo comp I just sold. A Blackburn bag fits in the triangle. Also on the other side of the water bottle is a oneup components edc pump attached to the water bottle cage which has a pump, multi tool, chaintool, quciklink tool and puncture repair kit. The Blackburn bag can have food, co2 cartridges and extra stuff. The bike also has a small swat multi tool. I also have the camelbak water bottle Mentioned above In there.

C1F6C18D-BD8C-45CF-9AE1-06B45B6193E1.jpeg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
If you have the original Specialized saddle still fitted then just buy a Specialized Bandit

This can hold a tube, CO2 cartridge and pump head along with some tyre levers and some spare split links (even squeezed in a piece of bendable plastic wrapped in gaffa tape for emergency tyre sidewall repairs)

This then bolts to the underside of the saddle via the two screw holes

Mountain Bandit | Specialized.com

Along with the Swat tool in the steerer tube it covers any problems i may have

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I never used to take anything other than a bottle in my cage as I‘ve had a SWAT compartment in my last 2 Stumpys which held a tube, CO2, levers and a snack!

Since getting an emtb, I’ve had to purchase a hydration pack - so I got a tiny Osprey Syncro 5. Comes with a 2.5L bladder, and has enough room for a basic took roll, keys and a snack.
It weighs next to nothing without the water in it... and is quite neat and comfortable when on.
If I’m going on a local ride from my doorstep (COVID) then I’ll probably just take a bottle and hope for the best. I can always get someone to come and get me if I get really stuck. If I’m away with the car and going far a field for hours, I’ll take the Osprey... and maybe even put a tyre in the open bit. I don’t fancy being 20 miles round Mt Keen and being stuck where one of the sharp rocks has slit my tyre and I’m trapped in the middle of nowhere!!

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Levo down tube is so thick you don’t get crud on the bottle. If your running tubeless you don’t need a tube you need a tubeless repair kit. I run the Stash chain tool and the tubeless repair tool in the bars, plus the headset stored Specialized multi-tool.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Drink a pint of water before your ride and another at the end.
Haven't used a camelbak in over 10 years on normal bikes. Ebikes require far less effort and are limited to less range so the need for fuel/water during a ride is even less.
Tools n spares are strapped to my bikes so I never need to fanny about packing anything before a ride.

OK Gary ...
That might be OK in balmy Scotland . Don`t think I want to try that in sub tropical Australia .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I drink a least 3-4 pints [Pint = 600 ml ] on a 3-4 hour ride .
Some days in summer I come home drenched in sweat . Been known to have 375 ml beer in the car park on a Thursday evening with the boys after Church though .

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
In Summer even 1.5 litres is sometimes not enough.
In Winter I sometimes finish a ride and have not even touched the water bottle.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Have you tried a bumbag\fanny pack?

I use a dakine enduro hip pack for tools, car keys & a phone with a bottle on the bike.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I can only use water bottles on my gravel bike. Not feasible on my eMTB or FS bike. I also carry a lot of tools, spares, etc on longer rides.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dakine's smaller waist pack actually has a pop away bottle holder.
I've been using mine commuting to carry waterproof trousers, keys etc. almost every for a few years.
but I use the bottle holder pocket to hold a waterproof jacket

Dakine also offer a lifetime warranty (which they actually uphold)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think there's also a weird culture that each rider must hust carry every concievable spare part, tool and piece of clothing with you to ride your Xpen$iV mtb for an hour in the woods.
when in reality you just don't need most of it and carrying a heavy load on your back just makes your ride less comfortable, and less fun and makes you sweat a lot more making you want even more fliuds

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think there's also a weird culture that each rider must hust carry every concievable spare part, tool and piece of clothing with you to ride your Xpen$iV mtb for an hour in the woods.
This is how I normally set my pack up, isn't this normal ? I can see why a lot of people buy Levo SL's. It really gets your pack weight down and makes riding much easier and more fun. I can see why you always suggest a lighter bike as the weight of that spare really can make a huge difference in the handling department..

mtb.jpg

Hey look, fake me has usd forks !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles