Radon pulling out of UK market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have faith, businesses are very good at surviving and adapting. Many will thrive, new ones will emerge. Sadly some will wither and die. It has always been like that. How many sailors, boat builders, shipwrights, chandlers, basket makers, rope makers and sail lofts are there now?
How many blacksmiths, farriers, ostlers, carriage riders, wheelwrights, stable hands and horse breeders are there now? How many involved in the design, building, usage and maintenance of steam engines? Overall, life is better now than it was before the changes that occurred that swept all that lot away.
They were replaced by many more jobs in the industries that followed. Probably the ones that most of you are employed in now. My son in law challenged me as to why I voted leave and suggested that we would all suffer if we left the EU. I agreed with him, but only in the short term. Some will suffer for a while as they have to find new jobs, develop new skills and I'm sure it will be tough for them personally. But just because it will be tough for some for a while does not mean that change must not be embraced; ask any leader from any industry or profession. Adapt or die! I truly believe that our country will be better off outside the EU. It would have been an easier decision to stay in the EU, but I voted leave so that my grandchildren would grow up in a better working and living environment. Too many people are relentlessly negative about Britain, its past, present and future, when actually there is much to be proud of.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Have faith, businesses are very good at surviving and adapting. Many will thrive, new ones will emerge. Sadly some will wither and die. It has always been like that. How many sailors, boat builders, shipwrights, chandlers, basket makers, rope makers and sail lofts are there now?
How many blacksmiths, farriers, ostlers, carriage riders, wheelwrights, stable hands and horse breeders are there now? How many involved in the design, building, usage and maintenance of steam engines? Overall, life is better now than it was before the changes that occurred that swept all that lot away.
They were replaced by many more jobs in the industries that followed. Probably the ones that most of you are employed in now. My son in law challenged me as to why I voted leave and suggested that we would all suffer if we left the EU. I agreed with him, but only in the short term. Some will suffer for a while as they have to find new jobs, develop new skills and I'm sure it will be tough for them personally. But just because it will be tough for some for a while does not mean that change must not be embraced; ask any leader from any industry or profession. Adapt or die! I truly believe that our country will be better off outside the EU. It would have been an easier decision to stay in the EU, but I voted leave so that my grandchildren would grow up in a better working and living environment. Too many people are relentlessly negative about Britain, its past, present and future, when actually there is much to be proud of.

The question is, what progress do you think we will have that we dont have access to as an EU member? Better working and living requires better leadership to steer the counry that way, and sadly i think we can all see there is no decent leadership available.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge

That's not a very good analogy, it's not like Brexit is a jump in technology that requires us to retrain.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Only benefit I can see is if we dont need to stick to the EU motor restriction limit anymore!

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Wouldn't want to do that, it might be deemed a political opinion, on a bike forum, tut tut. :rolleyes:

Keith, please keep your political opinions on Brexit to yourself.
I've pointedly not expressed any - a simple question about the benefits of Brexit is by definition apolitical. I'm happy to learn.

There are a lot of ostensibly pro-Brexit posts on here about its purported benefits, though - off you go after them too...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Only benefit I can see is if we dont need to stick to the EU motor restriction limit anymore!
I think this is already rolling through.

Team Boris are pushing for a standardisation of all speed limits as they're too complicated as they are. Just thinking about it messes with his hair.

After much consultation and watching video's of vehicles packed tightly together, therefore massively increasing potential traffic density on any road and making the UK the world leader in road vehicular density efficiency ! The conclusion, also it's a nice number and can be calculated on the fingers of 99.7% of the UK population - is 10 ! Mph (not that stupid KMH thing).

Boris said : "First introduced in 1861 . 10 mph was hugely successful and the numbers clearly prove that there were less accidents and less vehicular pollution with this 10 mph speed limit. This classic British speed limit will bring all of the United Kingdom together and will be promoted and publicised under the banner of "Get 1865 DONE" . As part of Brexit, no one will ever ever be stuck behind a caravan or a JCB again !"

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Early approval of the vaccine for Covid 19.
Can you link to a reputable source that shows that Brexit is responsible please? Bear in mind, that although we have already left the EU we are in the transition period and still working to the same rules as our continental cousins.

Oh, I did think of a Brexit Bonus last night; removal of FoM should make it harder for @Zimmerframe to darken our doors... :ROFLMAO:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You're joking, right? Have you read Britannia Unchained?
No I haven't. I had never heard of it, so I looked it up and a review in the New Statesman went like this:
Writing for the New Statesman, Jonathan Portes criticised the accuracy of the content, saying the book contained "factual errors" and evidence of "slipshod research" by the authors: "The authors of Britannia Unchained – five Conservative MPs including Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab – argue that Britons are 'idlers . . . obsessed with the idea of the gentleman amateur'. Sadly, so far the reaction to the book has proved their point. They've had headlines in the Daily Mail and The Telegraph and The Guardian has marked them out as the young Tories to watch. Job done. Yet they’ve done it without doing any serious research, let alone thinking about what that research might mean. They have joined the political version of celebrity culture – the same culture that they argue, to some extent compellingly, makes Britons believe they can get on without doing any hard work".[2]

None of that recommends me to waste time reading it. Especially as it was written 8 years ago.
I didn't deliberately pick the new Statesman, it was just the first review in Wikipedia.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
No I haven't. I had never heard of it, so I looked it up and a review in the New Statesman went like this:
Writing for the New Statesman, Jonathan Portes criticised the accuracy of the content, saying the book contained "factual errors" and evidence of "slipshod research" by the authors: "The authors of Britannia Unchained – five Conservative MPs including Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab – argue that Britons are 'idlers . . . obsessed with the idea of the gentleman amateur'. Sadly, so far the reaction to the book has proved their point. They've had headlines in the Daily Mail and The Telegraph and The Guardian has marked them out as the young Tories to watch. Job done. Yet they’ve done it without doing any serious research, let alone thinking about what that research might mean. They have joined the political version of celebrity culture – the same culture that they argue, to some extent compellingly, makes Britons believe they can get on without doing any hard work".[2]

None of that recommends me to waste time reading it. Especially as it was written 8 years ago.
I didn't deliberately pick the new Statesman, it was just the first review in Wikipedia.

I don't think it was a recommendation of a great book, more along the lines of the people who authored a book containing "factual errors" and evidence of "slipshod research" were the backers of brexit and it's the 'will of the people' to have these fine and capable fellows steer us through it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Can you link to a reputable source that shows that Brexit is responsible please? Bear in mind, that although we have already left the EU we are in the transition period and still working to the same rules as our continental cousins.............

We didn't have to adhere to the EU body that is overseeing vaccine approval. We used our own UK body that used to have to work in step with the EU rules and regs. Because we didn't have to do so, now we are in transition, so we did it differently. Instead of sequential processes, approved after every step by a multinational body, we did it in parallel where possible, overlapping where necessary. All the same checks were done, just the process was different; faster, more agile.

One of our ministers got very patriotic (he thought) and did a bit of "Yah, sucks boo" at the EU on TV and made a right prat of himself (Gavin Williamson I believe, not sure).

You asked for a link to a reputable source. I didn't have one until you asked

I haven't read it so I don't know whether it actually says "Brexit is responsible" but what is clear that we could not have done this last year because we were in the EU. Whereas this year we are out of the EU, but transitioning while the deal is agreed (or not).

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
We didn't have to adhere to the EU body that is overseeing vaccine approval. We used our own UK body that used to have to work in step with the EU rules and regs. Because we didn't have to do so, now we are in transition, so we did it differently. Instead of sequential processes, approved after every step by a multinational body, we did it in parallel where possible, overlapping where necessary. All the same checks were done, just the process was different; faster, more agile.

One of our ministers got very patriotic (he thought) and did a bit of "Yah, sucks boo" at the EU on TV and made a right prat of himself (Gavin Williamson I believe, not sure).

You asked for a link to a reputable source. I didn't have one until you asked

I haven't read it so I don't know whether it actually says "Brexit is responsible" but what is clear that we could not have done this last year because we were in the EU. Whereas this year we are out of the EU, but transitioning while the deal is agreed (or not).

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The problem for any leave voters is they don't have a magic ball to look into how things pan out in the future. Where as the Remainers have all the benefits of hindsight and history. Sorry guys no point arguing the too's and fro's about todays happenings, where as tomorrow it could all be so different.

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@steve_sordy . I don't want to get into the generalist bollox for and against on this forum even if I do have strong views.

HOWEVER, your example of the vaccine being a Brexit benefit is total bollox. The UK approach used EXACTLY the same provisions that were available to every EU member. It had nothing whatsoever to do with leaving the EU

EXCEPT our corrupt politicians saw an opportunity, yet again , to convince the unknowing , on behalf of the uncaring for their own self-agrondissement . A plague on all their houses.

@Gary was right, at least we can play ( kinda) nicely when it comes to e-MTBs

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Remember we area all friends here :) Brexit, Remainer, whatever.... These kinda threads can (totally understandingly) get out of hand, everyone has their right to follow / believe / vote / think what ever way they choose.

Let the debate continue, but please can we be civil and courteous to one another.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In the spirit of Brexit I saw this rather lovely 2021 Orange Surge today, not cheap but in the flesh quite the stunner.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 15.28.36.png

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North

You realise the next step in our political evolution is the Farage party, who are currently planning to campaign for seats against pro cycling MPs. If the Brexit party voters move this way it wont be higher speed limits we get, but banning of eBikes from the roads.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sticking to bikes if the (UK) pessimists are worried about supply chains the answer is buy British......with no import tariffs. Already one of the best emtbs on the market are Whyte Bikes, or Orange if you are a bike breaker, one of the best for clothing is Endura, some of the best engineered components are from Hope and Burgtec.
( speaking as a Whyte e 180 RS owner and user of a range of Endura clothing I am obviously way ahead of the game:p)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles