@jrvide
Is this a park with water flowers or is this a farm for water plants? 🤔

IMG_3374.png

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I attract too many insect bites I do wear the t-shirt but never shorts. Still get bitten on the legs though. Recovering from a gorge walk on Wednesday, all well till changing clothes back at the car . Two of us scratching for an hour in car. Soon be winter though give me something else to moan about.
Have you tried one of these:

I bought one last week after suffering bites from various insects for years.
I have only had one bite since, but zapped it with 2 3-second bursts and the itching stopped immediately and permanently.
This is from the German company which were the original developers of the idea, but there are also various cheaper Chinese versions on Amazon.
I got the newer "bite away Two", not available yet in shops in this country, but available from Amazon EU.
A friend who has a friend who lives in the Caribbean for half the year told him that they have been very popular there for years.
They don't work for everybody, but well worth a try.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I attract too many insect bites I do wear the t-shirt but never shorts. Still get bitten on the legs though. Recovering from a gorge walk on Wednesday, all well till changing clothes back at the car . Two of us scratching for an hour in car. Soon be winter though give me something else to moan about.
Try "Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray", we use it and it works really well.

(The SAS and other services are often reputed to use it too btw).

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Well, I FINALLY finished it. It’s only taken me almost 2 years to build the damn thing, but it’s done.

This is my solar-charging trailer, Agnes (if you get the Star Trek reference, you’re a nerd, too).

I have a 500-mile gravel and singletrack trip planned in November with a fellow bikepacker who’s had to switch over to an ebike. So I designed the rig to easily handle charging 4 bike batteries off and on across multiple weeks. It’s a 300-watt panel with 4 12V 24Ah LiFePO+ wired in parallel.

Still have a few little things to do, such as add rubber washers and LocTite to all the metal screws in the corner pieces.

But, at long last, it’s to the testing stage!

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Try "Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray", we use it and it works really well.

(The SAS and other services are often reputed to use it too btw).
It's mildly effective ..but not when tested against dedicated repellents with deet as part of the formula.
The Avon product used to contain Deet ..but no longer does however it does contain Citronella..
The armed forces used to use it when it contained Deet ..but I believe they have developed their own product not available to the public ...
Using ASSS will however give you fabulously soft skin and make you smell nice 👌 😎

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Have you tried one of these:

I bought one last week after suffering bites from various insects for years.
I have only had one bite since, but zapped it with 2 3-second bursts and the itching stopped immediately and permanently.
This is from the German company which were the original developers of the idea, but there are also various cheaper Chinese versions on Amazon.
I got the newer "bite away Two", not available yet in shops in this country, but available from Amazon EU.
A friend who has a friend who lives in the Caribbean for half the year told him that they have been very popular there for years.
They don't work for everybody, but well worth a try.
I will certainly try and get it Nicho. I have bites that go away but tickle back up and stay for months. Guilty of picking I will admit. Still have three or four bothering me from last Wednesdays gorge walk. Trouble is you don't know what's actually bit you there were loads of midgies when we stripped of to change at car but I think a few other beasties had a nibble as well. Off to Skye Thursday watch this space.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Those "Bite-away 2" heat pens do work. My brother got a really bad bit in Australia last week. He either got bit three times right next to each other or it had three fangs! My daughter travels the tropical world for a living and had one of those pens. My brother's arm had swollen up and the bite site really itched. The heat pen hurt a bit to apply, but stopped the itching.

I prefer to avoid the bites and I use "Jungle Formula - max strength". Brilliant stuff, works in Singapore, Maylasia, Australia, Carribean, and the UK of course. Works well with sunscreen too.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Those "Bite-away 2" heat pens do work. My brother got a really bad bit in Australia last week. He either got bit three times right next to each other or it had three fangs! My daughter travels the tropical world for a living and had one of those pens. My brother's arm had swollen up and the bite site really itched. The heat pen hurt a bit to apply, but stopped the itching.

I prefer to avoid the bites and I use "Jungle Formula - max strength". Brilliant stuff, works in Singapore, Maylasia, Australia, Carribean, and the UK of course. Works well with sunscreen too.
Funnily enough I never had issues when working abroad with bites. But quite bad at home. What puts me off that After bite is the price varies from 4 pounds to 39 pounds. I used a pen called after bite many years ago it was an ammonia stick worked a bit had it for years.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yeah ..its been more than a few years since I've been there too..and it was the first place I tried out a borrowed ebike ..took a good few years more before I got my own ( but I knew from that trip that I would )

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Well, I FINALLY finished it. It’s only taken me almost 2 years to build the damn thing, but it’s done.

This is my solar-charging trailer, Agnes (if you get the Star Trek reference, you’re a nerd, too).

I have a 500-mile gravel and singletrack trip planned in November with a fellow bikepacker who’s had to switch over to an ebike. So I designed the rig to easily handle charging 4 bike batteries off and on across multiple weeks. It’s a 300-watt panel with 4 12V 24Ah LiFePO+ wired in parallel.

Still have a few little things to do, such as add rubber washers and LocTite to all the metal screws in the corner pieces.

View attachment 146217
View attachment 146218
View attachment 146219
Did you put some rubber / damping materials under the batteries to protect them from heavy road bumps?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Yeah ..its been more than a few years since I've been there too..and it was the first place I tried out a borrowed ebike ..took a good few years more before I got my own ( but I knew from that trip that I would )
Storm Arwen really hit it hard and was closed for ages
it’s slowly getting back again and some trails are being rebuilt through the forested parts
Still lots to ride there if u know

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I'm no expert on that area..more a follower if the truth be known but I've been shown some great trails in the past ..
It’s a quality place to ride but real hush hush 🤐 need to ride with people that know

chopwell woods tomorrow so a more mellow day. Still has some serious bits though

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
It’s a quality place to ride but real hush hush 🤐 need to ride with people that know

chopwell woods tomorrow so a more mellow day. Still has some serious bits though
Enjoy ..
A few of us are heading over to Torver on Saturday ..we have a WhatsApp group with the lads spread all over the North ..N.Yorks / Lancashire../ Northumberland ..even as far as Glasgow and meet up on occaision for a ride ..( we all ride most weekends ..but mostly on our local patch )...all good lads of a certain age 😁
You would be more than welcome to join us should you ever be at a loose end ..

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Enjoy ..
A few of us are heading over to Torver on Saturday ..we have a WhatsApp group with the lads spread all over the North ..N.Yorks / Lancashire../ Northumberland ..even as far as Glasgow and meet up on occaision for a ride ..( we all ride most weekends ..but mostly on our local patch )...all good lads of a certain age 😁
You would be more than welcome to join us should you ever be at a loose end ..
Might take you up at some point
Although work 4 on 4 off
So ride when I can

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Did you put some rubber / damping materials under the batteries to protect them from heavy road bumps?

Negative. I have a rubber tie-down that goes across the tops of the batteries to strap them into place. That takes care of vertical movement. And the spaced cutouts in the board take care of horizontal movement and ensures airflow for cooling.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I will certainly try and get it Nicho. I have bites that go away but tickle back up and stay for months. Guilty of picking I will admit. Still have three or four bothering me from last Wednesdays gorge walk. Trouble is you don't know what's actually bit you there were loads of midgies when we stripped of to change at car but I think a few other beasties had a nibble as well. Off to Skye Thursday watch this space.
I got it from Amazon EU via Amazon UK.
When I posted about it I tried to attach the Amazon UK web page but when the post appeared here the Amazon link was not there.
You should find it on the Amazon UK site if you type "bite away Two" in the search box.
Bite away seems to have a strange distribution policy, with each of their products only available in certain countries.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

I have only used Jungle Formul, 100% DEET, or Formula 100, 100% DEET for the last 40 years, but they do not make the full strength ones any more.
I have just got a pack of Smidge to try as it sounds very effective.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

View attachment 146217
View attachment 146218
View attachment 146219
That certainly looks like something off Star Trek!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have only used Jungle Formul, 100% DEET, or Formula 100, 100% DEET for the last 40 years, but they do not make the full strength ones any more.
I have just got a pack of Smidge to try as it sounds very effective.
Ive tried everything used smidge last week on face . It's hard to put stuff all over. My bites that are still itching are on stomach and legs and back . These were covered until I stripped off to change it to dry clothes. I will survive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles