May 2, 2020
Maine
Got rocks? This morning in Southern Maine. Home sweet home.❤️
1B021FE7-9727-477B-A582-B6140246540C.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sherwood Pines is now open, but the off-piste runs need some recovery work. Some trails are gone for ever, but some just need a bit of pruning.

The bombhole run at Sherwood Pines in the UK is a remnant of Word War One training in trench warfare. It runs through the middle of the latest forest clearance and had a lot of trees fallen across it and discarded brash in the trench. I forgot to take a photo before I cleared this, so you'll have to use your imagination!
Bombhole pruning.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Very deadly game of words unfortunately! Thanks for spotting the typo, now corrected.

The entire area now known as Sherwood Pines was a WW1 training area for troops. They had to learn how to build, live, fight and survive in the hell of trench warfare. When the war ended, the training detachment just walked away and left it. During the war, the country almost ran out of wood to feed the coal mining industry's demand for pit props. This was aided and abetted in a huge way by the demand for wood to shore up the trenches that ran for hundreds of miles on the the continent of Europe. After the war the government decided to establish "The Forestry Commission" to make sure that in a future conflict the nation would not run out of such a basic asset. Their remit was to rebuild and manage the Nation's forests.

Trees were planted all over the place and at Sherwood Pines the trees ran in straight lines right over all the trenches, defensive works, ramparts etc. All those works are still there and have had preservation orders placed upon them (dunno when) to stop the catastrophic damage that would result if the harvesting machines were to run over them.

The FC ran pretty much uninterrupted for 100 years, until very recently they were split up and Forest England was created; no doubt also Forest Scotland and Forest Wales. I have no idea why they did that. I suspect a cunning plan!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Funny how cameras can never capture the inclination of the trails we ride. I can view that as if I’m looking up a hill or looking down a valley - it makes sense either way. ?‍♂️
Ha! We can quote ourselves in this forum?!!

Actually there may be subtle indicators. If there’s a bike at the end of that trail and it’s one of mine or Zimmerframe’s pics... it’s probably a downhill shot. ?⤵

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles